Forums > General Industry > Actual photography work?

Photographer

Ray Heffernan

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

May 12 23 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Beatnik 13 Photography

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Are you actually expecting female models to pay you? 
Simple fact is that the models are in demand and shooters are lucky now to get a TFP/TFI agreement.

May 13 23 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I think your expectations are a little high.  Times have changed since digital technology has given anyone with enough money to buy some digital gear a chance to claim to be a "photographer" or a "model" .. now they are known as "creators!" 

Decades ago, I used to make a nice income shooting weddings and portraits. Now there are guests at weddings shooting better images with their iPhones than the paid photographer is getting.  I quit shooting weddings when I met a tech guy working 9 to 5 during the week at a high paid job who shoots weddings for FREE as a HOBBY!  And he is pretty good at it! 

You've got to come up with a new business plan.  You are not going to make much money trying to live off the talent. I've been photographing models and musicians for 4 decades.  I am not making money from them, but from the images I shoot.

May 13 23 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Weddings are still out there….I don’t know that I have seen a decrease in volume of wedding gigs, but $$/event has.been eroding.   I don’t personally sweat competition from uncle Joe and his iPhone, and have not encountered anyone in my market that would be willing to just shoot weddings for fun.  The fact is, on any given weekend (every day at City Hall) there are X number of weddings, and  y number of competitors s/Uncle Joe and his iPhone/whatever.   So long as x >  y there is a job out there.   And it’s not just about the quality of the work….it’s also the service before and fulfillment after the event. 

I draw a steady volume of work for people photography in general, many headshot sessions that I use for a loss leader to identify potential customers wanting or needing something more.   That has lead to all manner of jobs , a lot of corporate location full day and multi day bookings,

But if you think MM is a place to market you direct to customer photographic services to aspiring models, I think you will not find much success. Many very good photographers seem willing to accept TFP work, so you are competing with “Free”  for the time of the starting model, and Ive not met many solid pro  models  that are seeking TFP work…most are actually trying to make a living with modelling and  have figured out that working for free mostly leads to more offers to work for free…

The tag line on MM has been “Where professional models meet photographers “.  In that phrase, who do you suppose gets paid?

Aug 03 23 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The bottom line is you can get paid to shoot the stuff you don't really want to shoot.

Aug 03 23 09:30 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

Lots of ways to up your game here. Not much competition in Prescott Ontario to compare yourself with, so for a bit of context you might use the "Browse" function here to get a better sense of what models might be looking for in a photographer. For instance, you could Browse: Photographer > Female > Netherlands > Noord-Holland > Amsterdam; and, in that way find a selection of photographers doing outstanding work in styles you might not be familiar with. Also, there is a big difference between photo editing and applying preset filters — I think you will find that successful photographers massage each select image manually to purposefully achieve the vision they are seeking. A good rule of thumb for photographers is, "Avoid doing anything in editing that you can achieve 'in camera' while actually capturing the image."

Aug 04 23 03:45 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

With the modern technology of digital cameras, almost anybody can be a photographer. Or a journalist. Isn't that wonderful? Yes it is, from the perspective of retailers and TV networks. They don't need to pay these people any more.

Aug 04 23 04:09 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
With the modern technology of digital cameras, almost anybody can be a photographer. Or a journalist. Isn't that wonderful? Yes it is, from the perspective of retailers and TV networks. They don't need to pay these people any more.

I actually do think that the pluralization of photography is a wonderful thing. I love photography, and I am happy that so many more people can enjoy it nowadays than when I started developing and printing black and white film, in my early teens, back in 1974. I think it is a great thing that people can capture quality images at any time with their phones; and these are the same people who once upon a time would bring in a roll of film to be developed with two separate, consecutive Christmases on the same roll.

There is still lots of room for people who do high quality work, and digital capture and editing makes this a more practical area to enter into for those who so desire. But some things are never going to change; for instance, I can tell you that in the OP's home town, people are more likely to save a memory by paying for a tattoo than for a photographer (camera phones notwithstanding)!

Aug 04 23 11:12 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

TaiChiJohn wrote:

I actually do think that the pluralization of photography is a wonderful thing. I love photography, and I am happy that so many more people can enjoy it nowadays than when I started developing and printing black and white film, in my early teens, back in 1974. I think it is a great thing that people can capture quality images at any time with their phones; and these are the same people who once upon a time would bring in a roll of film to be developed with two separate, consecutive Christmases on the same roll.

Digital photography and the internet have disadvantages as well, as in Ukraine where the authorities have had to severely restrict their use, because of people photographing military personnel, vehicles and bases and then streaming the videos and images, thereby proving the Russians with valuable intelligence. The grass is always greener.

Aug 06 23 03:51 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

I shot advertising and Car racing... I knew time was short when I was shooting a Rolex race with my 400 2.8 on the monpod, a camera on one side with a 70-200 and the other with a 24-70 and the guy next to me had the same credential as I had and nothing but an iPhone! The icing on the cake was when advertisers started giving free stuff to people for nothing but positing it on social media with a hashtag!

now we have AI, it's over!

Aug 06 23 08:35 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Digital photography and the internet have disadvantages as well, as in Ukraine where the authorities have had to severely restrict their use, because of people photographing military personnel, vehicles and bases and then streaming the videos and images, thereby proving the Russians with valuable intelligence. The grass is always greener.

True, there are many sides to these dice. There are things I wish I had the ability to capture digitally back when they happened and before digital capture became widely available; for instance, it would be priceless to me to have a digital video of the 1988 Augusta Township Council meeting (where Prescott Ontario is located), held one month before the next council election, where they announced that they had sold land in their industrial park to a company named ENSCO — for a toxic waste incinerator to be built. Having assessed the prospectus for the Swan Hills, Alberta toxic waste incinerator while working in Calgary for Greenpeace two years earlier, I had a good working knowledge of these facilities; so I grilled the council members on their intentions, and the state of their actual knowledge (which was sorely lacking) about what they were bringing there. Happily, the hodgepodge of environmentalists I was working with managed to spearhead a campaign that saw every single member of that council kicked out of office one month later, and the sale of the land to ENSCO rescinded; but it would be great to have digital video of those events to reminisce over! That was a far better outcome than the elevated cancer rates which the entire area would now be experiencing, had that toxic waste incinerator been built.

Lots of environmentalists (who never get paid for they work they do anyway, by the way) are using digital photography and video to great advantage, and to the benefit of us all. Nowadays, living in New York City, I mostly find myself using these media to help musician friends document and promote their work (since they seldom get paid very much for what they do, either); but in my opinion  it really comes down to people acting responsibly with the tools they now have for digital image capture.

Aug 07 23 10:18 am Link