Forums > General Industry > Scams on Photographer?

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I have someone from out of state wanting to come by for a shoot after seeing my TFP ad on a Facebook group - www.deanlautermilch.com/about

I think I am good but not that good to spend gas money getting to me as I am in a very remote area of Florida.

I did get scammed many years ago in Miami where I came for a TFP shoot and after it was done the model demanded her money saying she read it was a paid shoot and what she would do if I did not fork over some money.

Are there other scams directed at photographers?

Aug 16 23 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Nope.   That’s the only one.

And that wasn’t a scam, you were extorted, or you misrepresented the shoot to the model…or both.

In my opinion, a TFP session requires more careful expectation setting than a paid shoot. I’d be willing to bet you didn’t do a contract up front, detailing payment (or lack thereof) , deliverables (how many, how many edits, RAW or edited deliverables, how soon, usage and copyright of finished work, time, place, duration, etc, ).

I guess you don’t bother with a model release either since “You don’t mix photography and money” per your profile…so you’d have no interest in monetizing the finished work (What are you, religious?…that line just sounds pompous and asinine)

Most models actually DO mix the two, and there is no harm in doing exactly that.

Models get scammed into wasting their time with cheap GWCs that have no intention of paying for their time, travel and effort, or try to underpay, or try to push boundaries or have just misrepresented the shoot.

Aug 16 23 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:
I have someone from out of state wanting to come by for a shoot after seeing my TFP ad on a Facebook group - www.deanlautermilch.com/about

I think I am good but not that good to spend gas money getting to me as I am in a very remote area of Florida.

Forget the gas. How much time was she willing to spend?

DeanLautermilch wrote:
. . . she read it was a paid shoot

Where did she read that?

DeanLautermilch wrote:

Oh yes. Be careful.

But remember: SPAM doesn't become SCAM until you PAY money

Aug 16 23 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I would be very clear and send her an email in which you state what you expect from her and what she can expect from you i.e. no pay but prints? files? what ever you intend to provider her with. Ask her to reply stating that she read and agreed to the email of (date) .  Ot even better do it by snail mail and have her return a signed hard copy (provide a SASE). 

She might simply like your style, in which case enjoy it.  I once had a high school senior and her mother fly from Ohio to SC for me to shoot her senior picture.  I was surprised and flattered and she got a really good picture. No funny stuff, so not all people are out to scam us.  I did learn at the end of the day that the mother worked for the airline and got free seats, but nevertheless, it was flattering.

Aug 16 23 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Weldphoto wrote:
I would be very clear and send her an email in which you state what you expect from her and what she can expect from you i.e. no pay but prints? files? what ever you intend to provider her with. Ask her to reply stating that she read and agreed to the email of (date) .  Ot even better do it by snail mail and have her return a signed hard copy (provide a SASE). 

She might simply like your style, in which case enjoy it.  I once had a high school senior and her mother fly from Ohio to SC for me to shoot her senior picture.  I was surprised and flattered and she got a really good picture. No funny stuff, so not all people are out to scam us.  I did learn at the end of the day that the mother worked for the airline and got free seats, but nevertheless, it was flattering.

THIS! 

I was just thinking that some (potential) models do travel, and so perhaps that is the case here. This person maybe willing to cover the travel cost to shoot with the OP photographer.  What cracks me up is how many of the youth today simply are having a problem learning to communicate in a clear manner.  Analog is still the best way to confirm a digital appointment if one is not sure.  I mean, it is still possible to call someone on these cellphones and speak!  LOL  Posting asking about scams on this forum will not resolve this mystery.  Only follow up communication can do that.

Aug 16 23 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

A while back, I saw a NC model post that she was traveling to Ohio. Not exactly close to me, but I wrote to her giving my MD location and expressing that I'd like to shoot with her if she came to my area.

She wrote that her Ohio trip wasn't generating much interest, and she might be interested in coming my way. I offered her finished prints, that I would supply wardrobe, a gift of one outfit to take with her and a place to stay if that would help.

Three weeks later she arrived and we had a great shoot. She also shot with three other local photographers while she was staying with me. Everyone was happy with the arrangements, and I made a friend in her and some good connect
ions to other models.

Not everything is a scam.

Aug 17 23 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:

I did get scammed many years ago in Miami where I came for a TFP shoot and after it was done the model demanded her money saying she read it was a paid shoot and what she would do if I did not fork over some money.

Here's how to avoid scams and legal issues down the road:

1. If you're going to make money from the shoot then pay the model "earnest money" which means a decent or appropriate amount of money for the work performed.

2. If the model just wants you to shoot portfolio shots, glamour shots, or etc. then the model pays for your services the same as anyone wanting a wedding, engagement, or other such service performed.

Your auto mechanic won't work for free and neither should you. Or your model.

Aug 18 23 10:09 am Link