MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:

Every time you post that, an angel gets its wings.  big_smile

lol

I love it!

Oct 30 07 11:47 pm Link

Model

Laura Hinkel

New York, New York, US

OMG I Finally finished reading all of it!!

Ok....

Carrie Ikerd wrote:
So if the models on the runway need to be above average height, and I'm 5'10, how come I can't find a damn pair of jeans that go past my ankles?

oh no not you too!!! lol ... i do believe though that there was a thread a little while back that gave some helpful info on where to go to find longer pants...

bencook2 wrote:
Hogwash!

...is a great word... that's all i wanted to say about that...

Taverner Photography wrote:
Romina Lanero (IMG) looking tall - really tall.  6'1"

https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/Taverner_Photography/45ba510c90482.jpg

wink

Oh good lord i feel bad---she must definitely have a harder time finding pants than i do! :-(

kayyla wrote:

Crucifissa wrote:
Someone mentioned less fabric...wouldn't it take MORE fabric to design a dress for someone who is 5'9, than someone who is 5'2? Thats 7 inches in fabric! I hate the excuse that people use, "Models have to be skinny to save fabric expenses." Thats such bullshit.

YES THATS WHAT I DONT GET I THINK PEOPLE ARE JUST STUCK INTO THAT IMAGE AND ALSO!!!! ISNT EASIER FOR SHORTER PEOPLE TO STAY THIN THAN TALL PEOPLE A USUAL GIRL THATS 5'2 USUALLY HER NORMAL WEIGHT WOULD BE OF ABOUT 104 OR 105 AND USUALLY ARE USUALLY ONLY A SIZE 3-0 THINK ABOUT THAT ......

Um... no offense to any shorter models or people out there b/c this isn't the case with everyone--but I've seen ppl who are around 5'2, and just because they're a size 0-3 doesn't mean that they're going to not look... ohh crap how do i say this.. fuller... yes, they are the 'size', but it all depends on the proportion of the body--not just the size and weight.. measurement is key...

if i'm wrong i'm wrong--it's just an observation! smile

studio36uk wrote:

HerbP wrote:
Only 4% of fashion models are shorter than 5'8". Kate Moss falls in this category. There has to be some really extra special facet about a shorter model that permits her to break into the fashion modeling world.

She can get all the dust off the runway using only her nose?

Studio36

haaahaha

Lenore Owens wrote:
I'm 5'10.5", weigh 128 lbs, 17 years old, dress size 6 which is the maximum dress size. Did the skinny model ban take place or are they still looking for size 0 or 2 models??

oh man now i feel kinda gross being taller with smaller stats lol you look Soo thin!!

udor wrote:

Oh my... roll

I am not sure if you know this... apparently NOT, but the clothes that you see on the runway at NY Fashion Week can not be bought in the stores at that time.

It's a presentation of a TREND for the next season... and it's shown to the fashionistas, e.g. the buyers (for department stores such as Sak's 5th, Bloomingdales and even JC Penney) and fashion editors for magazines like Vogue etc. and other related industries who make a decision on what they like and THAT is determining which garments are going to be put into mass production for ALL SIZES of women!

If you want "to know how that shit is going to look on [your] five 2, size 2." you've go to do what the rest of the clothes buying population of the world does:

Step 1: Take a look at the catalog or online version, where the final version of the garment is showing on an average catalog model (commercial model).

Step 2: Go to the store that carries that dress.

Step 3: Select a dress that has your size.

Step 4: Put it on.

Step 5: Look into the friggin' mirror and turn slightly for a back view, and you find out how that shit is looking on your 5'2, size 2 frame!

It's really just 5 easy steps that are habitually practiced by half a billion people a year, who "want to know how that shit is going to look on [them]", world wide.

Oh man this all makes me Really want to watch Devil Wears Prada now!! :-D

where's the popcorn??!

Oct 31 07 01:44 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Putting height and major fashion show in perspective... Would the garment on a five foot model be seen by the fashionistas in the remote seats?
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights03.jpg

find udor....

Oct 31 07 01:48 am Link

Model

agathe tyche

Los Angeles, California, US

So, let me get this straight.....it looks funny when a stumpy, average girl dressed in jeans and T-shirt, who's 5'2" and 15lbs overweight stands next to a bunch of giant skinny models on a runway?   Umm... I think she would have looked funny among models of any height.

Oct 31 07 04:00 am Link

Model

lexuality

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
https://blogs.mediavillage.com/bloom/archives/www/vhosts/blogs/htdocs/bloom/dave%20chappelle.jpg
My expression...

lol, moving on!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oct 31 07 03:12 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The Don Mon wrote:
Putting height and major fashion show in perspective... Would the garment on a five foot model be seen by the fashionistas in the remote seats?

find udor....

bother I can't!

Oct 31 07 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

The Don Mon wrote:

find udor....

Colin Rowe wrote:
bother I can't!

Well... I am actually behind the camera... but... Ed of Imajin Studios took this photo of the media riser... and there you can play "Where is Udor?"... big_smile

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/UdoR%20Portraits/UdorMBFWRiser.jpg?t=1193857967

Oct 31 07 03:29 pm Link

Model

Miss Riss

New Smyrna Beach, Florida, US

okay the little asian, she was on project runway as a DESIGNER!!!!!! she wasnt a model!!

Oct 31 07 03:39 pm Link

Model

Tamu

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

little apple blossom wrote:
it's totally because I'm biased but I would love to see a show that uses all short models every now and then. even it's a gimmick I don't care. I think there is something special and idealistic about being petite and I think it should be shown off by designer clothes in a runway show.

i'm totally biased, too, apple. i'm a short person who happens to think she would be perfect for the runway. i walk the streets of ny like their my personal runway. like i'll literally walk down the middle of the sidewalk and strut to whatever's in my ipod, with that look in my eyes, lol...you know what on second thought, maybe the runway's not ready for me...it'd have to be fireproof!

Oct 31 07 03:50 pm Link

Model

L57

ms riss wrote:
okay the little asian, she was on project runway as a DESIGNER!!!!!! she wasnt a model!!

excellent deduction.  p=p smile

Oct 31 07 03:50 pm Link

Model

L57

udor wrote:

The Don Mon wrote:

find udor....

Colin Rowe wrote:
bother I can't!

Well... I am actually behind the camera... but... Ed of Imajin Studios took this photo of the media riser... and there you can play "Where is Udor?"... big_smile

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/UdoR%20Portraits/UdorMBFWRiser.jpg?t=1193857967

I found you! hiding in the back wink

Oct 31 07 03:53 pm Link

Model

Kennedy Deshawn

Chicago, Illinois, US

ms riss wrote:

nice reading skills

Oct 31 07 04:36 pm Link

Model

Miss Riss

New Smyrna Beach, Florida, US

Kennedy Deshawn wrote:

nice reading skills

if thats in this thread somewhere, im not going to go through 9 pages to find it sorry!

Oct 31 07 04:38 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

ms riss wrote:

if thats in this thread somewhere, im not going to go through 9 pages to find it sorry!

it's uh...on teh first page. the one with all the purty pitchers.

Oct 31 07 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kennedy Deshawn wrote:
nice reading skills

ms riss wrote:

Well... *cough... cough... clearing throat...* it's kinda written in my original post... :   wink

udor wrote:
The girl in image 1 and 2 is NOT a model, she's one of the finalist designers for "Project Runway", I shot the show on Friday morning... and thought that this is an excellent example for showing the visual effect of "short models" mixed with tall, high fashion models.

The first shows her alone, she's is somewhere around 5'2" and  has actually a pretty face.

The second image shows her walking behind her models, wearing her designs... this shows how funny it would look like if you put a short model into the mix.
[...]

Short "model", finalist of Project Runway, could "pass on her own, if a tad slimmer, but(!)...
http://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Var … ghts01.jpg

... here is the "short model" in comparison to regular runway models... looks funny, doesn't it?!
http://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Var … ghts02.jpg

Oct 31 07 05:36 pm Link

Model

Kennedy Deshawn

Chicago, Illinois, US

ms riss wrote:

it's right above the pictures...you know, as a caption...kinda in the first post

Oct 31 07 05:38 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Sarah Allyn wrote:
So, let me get this straight.....it looks funny when a stumpy, average girl dressed in jeans and T-shirt, who's 5'2" and 15lbs overweight stands next to a bunch of giant skinny models on a runway?   Umm... I think she would have looked funny among models of any height.

lol
(no I'm not laughing at the cute asian designer)

Oct 31 07 05:38 pm Link

Model

Devi Lyn Sane

Ogden, Utah, US

I hope I'm not mistaken, but the most usual sizes for items made by the designer to put on models on the runways and whatnot run about 6-8. 

But of course, taller models= good.  Yay me, 5'9.

Dec 04 07 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Avalectra wrote:
I hope I'm not mistaken,

You are.

Dec 04 07 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Avalectra wrote:
I hope I'm not mistaken, but the most usual sizes for items made by the designer to put on models on the runways and whatnot run about 6-8. 

But of course, taller models= good.  Yay me, 5'9.

Try 0-2

Dec 04 07 09:32 am Link

Model

Charles Ecks

Richmond, Virginia, US

Matt wrote:
if you're too lazy to eat properly and hit the gym...
or if your genetics are HONESTLY getting in the way of hitting the dress
size they want...

PICK A DIFFERENT PROFESSION!

Stupid people don't get to be neuro surgeons (bad example, I know),
and people who aren't thin and tall don't get to be models

WTF? I’d expect to hear that from an actual model, not some boney-ass wanna-be.

Dec 14 07 12:58 am Link

Model

Charles Ecks

Richmond, Virginia, US

Sarah Allyn wrote:

LMAO!

Dec 14 07 01:01 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Tamu wrote:

i'm totally biased, too, apple. i'm a short person who happens to think she would be perfect for the runway. i walk the streets of ny like their my personal runway. like i'll literally walk down the middle of the sidewalk and strut to whatever's in my ipod, with that look in my eyes, lol...you know what on second thought, maybe the runway's not ready for me...it'd have to be fireproof!

Another person who just doesn't get it.... that "strut" would be something that would keep you off the runway even if you were tall enough. People couldn't care less how well you can tear it up, the show isn't about you. It's about showcasing the clothes, not how well you walk.

Dec 14 07 01:03 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Tamu wrote:

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
Another person who just doesn't get it.... that "strut" would be something that would keep you off the runway even if you were tall enough. People couldn't care less how well you can tear it up, the show isn't about you. It's about showcasing the clothes, not how well you walk.

lol @ the Rip the Runway types.

Dec 14 07 01:05 am Link

Model

Vashawn Jackson

Chicago, Illinois, US

baby phat jeans for sell and a knock off chanel purse

Dec 14 07 01:14 am Link

Model

Princhessa

Vashawn Jackson wrote:

?

Dec 14 07 02:06 am Link

Model

Kim P

Everett, Washington, US

ms riss wrote:

oi vay

Dec 14 07 05:11 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Vashawn Jackson wrote:

and phat baby jeans sell for a knock off chanel  purse

I think my scrambled version makes more sense.

Dec 14 07 05:17 am Link

Model

Bella_o_0_Sirena

still don't understand...y can't they hold a fashion show with either all tall models or all short models but not mix with tall n short models?

Dec 14 07 05:25 am Link

Model

Alaina Wray

Los Angeles, California, US

models have ALWAYS been generaly tall and thin. tru the thin has gotten thinner but in europe they are changing that. i see more curvier girls in print now. as for them young on the runway, they are young so they didnt "fill out" yet. and good point earlier about see the cloths instead of the girl. makes TOTAL sense. and makes me feel better smile

but yes tall and thin does make the cloths look better. it just does and thats that. high fashion it is. now if i saw hi fashion in sexy cloths it would look funny.

one thing i do think is thats for bikini and lingere show NEED woman with a figure. seeing those skinny young girls in a bikini is NOT attractive at all. they dont wear them well.

Dec 14 07 05:30 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

pupuba wrote:
still don't understand...y can't they hold a fashion show with either all tall models or all short models but not mix with tall n short models?

Short models runway shows do exist. They happen in clubs, malls, and bars.

Dec 14 07 05:42 am Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

udor wrote:

Originally posted on February 11, 2006, revised on January 24, 2007

Since this question seems constantly to come up, I did some extra shots at this current Fashion Week (Fall 2006 Collection) here in New York City (with the purpose of doing an informative thread on my own... soon... but here's the "preview").

The girl in image 1 and 2 is NOT a model, she's one of the finalist designers for "Project Runway", I shot the show on Friday morning... and thought that this is an excellent example for showing the visual effect of "short models" mixed with tall, high fashion models.

The first shows her alone, she's is somewhere around 5'2" and  has actually a pretty face.

The second image shows her walking behind her models, wearing her designs... this shows how funny it would look like if you put a short model into the mix.

The third image is from the show of the designer Chado Ralph Rucci. I shot this image for the purpose of demonstrating the size of the showrooms at major fashion shows... and why very tall models are mandatory, so that the audience far away are able to see the model and the garment she's presenting.

There are actually a few more rows... but I would have cut out the model... and it was necessary for me to demonstrate the room and the model.

In short (pun unintended wink ), there is a very practical reason WHY runway models have to be tall!

Agencies like to sign models that are versatile and can be used for many different applications..., the more a model is limited (height in this case), the more is the earning capacity limited for the agencies.

It all boils down to economics!

Short "model", finalist of Project Runway, could "pass on her own, if a tad slimmer, but(!)...
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights01.jpg

... here is the "short model" in comparison to regular runway models... looks funny, doesn't it?!
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights02.jpg

Great points...great visuals!

The time you spend complaining about what you consider to be inequalities is time other models will use to get ahead of you in the niches you could be successful in.

Mar 09 08 08:09 pm Link

Model

Queen Lisa

Naples, Florida, US

Charles Ecks wrote:

LMAO!

LOL Agree

Jul 27 08 06:41 pm Link

Model

Sam_

New York, New York, US

This thread is great!  Glad it was bumped.

Jul 27 08 06:45 pm Link

Model

Trevor Mark

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Is it sad that since I'm 6'2"...unless someone is taller than me, I don't see anyone as being tall nor short?

Jul 27 08 08:53 pm Link

Model

Mystical Melissa

Sandusky, Michigan, US

Okay, I don't know why all the short models are complaining about not being able to do runway. I would be horrified if I was asked to do runway.
They want you to notice the "clothes not the model."
In that case less beautiful.

If someone asked me to do runway I'd have to ask them if they seriously think I'm that ugly. That I would make their clothes shine.

Aug 25 08 03:13 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mystical Melissa wrote:
Okay, I don't know why all the short models are complaining about not being able to do runway. I would be horrified if I was asked to do runway.
They want you to notice the "clothes not the model."
In that case less beautiful.

If someone asked me to do runway I'd have to ask them if they seriously think I'm that ugly. That I would make their clothes shine.

That's one way to see it. hmm

Aug 25 08 03:30 pm Link

Model

Mattie Wilson 1

Arlington, Texas, US

There are a lot of short people in the world. I wouldn't want to buy a fashion designers clothing line if I saw only freakishly-tall women on the runway. I would say, "if I have to get the clothes hemmed up, then her line is not for me."

Oct 20 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Mattie Wilson Campbell wrote:
There are a lot of short people in the world. I wouldn't want to buy a fashion designers clothing line if I saw only freakishly-tall women on the runway. I would say, "if I have to get the clothes hemmed up, then her line is not for me."

Congrats!

5 years dead and you have revived the thread

Oct 20 13 09:55 pm Link

Model

Mattie Wilson 1

Arlington, Texas, US

Garry k wrote:

Congrats!

5 years dead and you have revived the thread

Thanks, maybe they should take it down and do an update then. Everything is changing, they need to change this tradition as well-meaning not letting only tall skinny models rip the runway. America is full of thick women, there are only a limited full of tall skinny women that want to be models. Soon people will get tired of seeing the same models.

Just to let people know that is a myth about skinny models work best because it looks as if the clothes are on a hanger. A big no, no!!!

I am sorry but if I cant see how good it looks with a much thicker body, I will not buy that clothing line. The fashion designers are going to learn someday, that all their doing is losing potential clients. With the economy being the way it is, they may want to change their runway tradition. IJS...

Oct 20 13 10:19 pm Link