Forums > Photography Talk > Starting equipment: Lights

Photographer

Ash Inferno

Some people hat it, but I have had pretty good luck with lights on EBAY, if you search right you can get good deals.

-Ash Inferno

Sep 24 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have 5 of the photogenic monolights.

I have one of the the little Studio Max Photogenics. Don't forget it is AC/DC so I can plug it into the wall, or into my Quantum Turbo Z battery and take it out side.

It's very light and I have had no trouble with it.

I have a Profoto pack, 2 heads and a ring light.

I much prefer my monolights over the pack system lights, but only because I need more head/packs for the type of work I do and where I put my lights.

You have to keep the heads within cord distance from the pack.

If I want to put 2 lights on the opposite sides of a church, I'm not constrained by the length of the cable back to the pack....obviously..LOL

Several of my Photogenics are going on 4-5 years old and I have not had a single issue with any of them.

Mark

Sep 24 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Roberts Digital Imaging

Dallas, Georgia, US

I have White-Lightning 1600 X by
Paul C Buff. would not rade them for any other flash.
He also makes Alien Bees. www.white-lightning.com

Sep 24 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I started with novaton packs and heads ( still have them for fill and background lighting). The novatron line has lots of accessories for any situation at reasonable prices.

Studio I use norman lights, great stuff, indestructable; but the packs weigh a ton.

I travel with a 2 light 1000w/s dynalite rig that fits in a hardigg shipping case I got the lights, pack and the case seperately on ebay for like $900 total

I can recommend all of these as good value long lasting gear the  novatron being the least expensive.

Paul

Sep 25 05 07:16 am Link