Forums > Photography Talk > Alien Bees and Outdoor Shots

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

I have a 400 and 800 AB set up and am very happy with it in studio shots I have done.  Just got the vagabond 150 power pack for it, and was wondering if anyone has used this set up for outdoor shots of a model or couple under cloudy skies, or by making a covering over the models to give diffused light?

Sep 28 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Taurus Studios

BRONX, New York, US

I have used AB800's outdoors with extension cords at night. The pool shots and motorcycle shots of Roxsi were done with AB's at night.

Sep 28 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Luis Solorzano wrote:
I have a 400 and 800 AB set up and am very happy with it in studio shots I have done.  Just got the vagabond 150 power pack for it, and was wondering if anyone has used this set up for outdoor shots of a model or couple under cloudy skies, or by making a covering over the models to give diffused light?

You only need one light and an umbrella for what you want to do.  Place the subject's back toward the light and use the AB as fill, a stop or so down.

Paul

Sep 28 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Luis Solorzano wrote:

Under cloudy skies.
First you want to get a meter reading of the light falling on the model. This will give you a starting point. Say you get f5.6@60.
You next have to ask yourself if you want to darken the skies behind the model, or keep them the same.
If you want to darked the skies then set the AB's at f5.6@80 or f5.6@125. If you want to keep them the same and just lighted the model some then add 1/2 of a stop light or F4. But make sure you use a tri-pod at 1/60. This will be slow but will not darken your background, but blurr it slightly.

One Sunny days do what Paul says.

Mark

Sep 28 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Walter Arce, also on MM, has used an Alien Bees light with the battery in bright sunlight. If you look at my model port: 19909, the one of me screaming while tearing my shirt open, was done with me facing away from the sun, the light shining on me and the sun behind me. If that made sense.

I love this and often recreate it with a reflector, since I don't have an alien bees light.....

Sep 28 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lund Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

I use AB's outside almost everytime I shoot. I guess the major trick is, knowing if you wanna overpower the natural sunlight and darken your background. Or just your AB's as a fill flash.

This
https://lund-photography.com/calendar/Ely/images/_MG_5229.jpg
shot was done facing INTO the sunlight.

While this
https://lund-photography.com/calendar/Blanca/images/IMG_1096.jpg
shot was with the sunlight behind me.

BTW, all powered via the Vegabound 150.. Ya might look into one, they'll free you up from the bloodly wall plugs and give you almost endless possibilites in your work..

~Darren

Sep 28 05 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Are there alternatives to the Vagabond battery?

Sep 28 05 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:

Yes.  Somewhere in the depth of these fora there's a link, but the search is broken, so I don't know what it is.  Anyway, others know better, but it involves any battery with a pure sine wave inverter or something.

Seriously, others know better.

Sep 28 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:

Elinchrom smile

It doesn't get much cheaper than the Vagabond.

Sep 29 05 12:05 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Here's the thread:

Battery Charged Packs

Comparing to the converters the Vagabond actually isn't that good of a deal.

Sep 29 05 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

I know nothing about electrical stuff, but from what I read, I'm guessing AlienBees B800 monolights should be able to use this [Xantrex Xpower] without problems? Thanks for the responses.

Sep 29 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:
I know nothing about electrical stuff, but from what I read, I'm guessing AlienBees B800 monolights should be able to use this [Xantrex Xpower] without problems? Thanks for the responses.

Thats a modified sine wave,,,not a good idea...in fact Xantrex even says on their site someplace not to use their modified sine wave inverters with strobes....

http://www.invertersrus.com/puresinewaveinverters.html   

Sep 29 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:
I know nothing about electrical stuff, but from what I read, I'm guessing AlienBees B800 monolights should be able to use this [Xantrex Xpower] without problems?

Well, ok, I do know something about electrical stuff (pulling out the electrical engineering degrees).

The AlienBees are monolights but they do not have large transformers like other monolights do.  This makes them more "picky" about their choice of power (see my other post about the difference between modified sinewave and true sinewaves).  The Vagabond system AlienBees sells is a true sine wave converter, which is just like a mains outlet.

Now, even though the AB monolight does not use a large transformer, it must still have a transformer inside its body since flashes work in DC, which makes it likely that it will work with a modified sine wave converter, but it depends on the design of the transformer.  MSW is only harmful if you have a power pack that is transformer-less between your battery and the power source.  Otherwise, you should be ok.

However, the problem with the supply you posted is likely not caused by the MSW, but its limited maximum output current.  Its instantaneous current is only about 5 Amps, which is a little too low to charge most battery pack and even monolights.  It won't handle the current you need.

MSW is cheaper to produce and is a more efficient design.  True Sine Wave converter is more expensive, and to be honest, the Vagabond system is a fair value proposition given its spec.  If you have AlienBees lights anyway, just get the Vagabond; you will have no worries and can retain all your warranty etc.

You can get more power with the larger Xantrex powerpack with the wheels, and that will handle a lot of current.  But for your need and peace of mind, you probably want to stick with the Vagabond.

Sep 30 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Hmm ok. Thanks for all the info.

Sep 30 05 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I have a vagabond and love it.  I bought it with my AB's for outside but bring it along any time I'm not sure if power is close.  It takes up less space and weight than dragging a 100ft extension cord.  For the price, size, and the amount of flashes a given unit will provide (even the single cell) they can't be beat.

Sep 30 05 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Jarod

Malibu, California, US

Sep 30 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Are you guys using an umbrella or softbox with them, or just the reflector?

Sep 30 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

I started this discussion on Alien Bees and thank everyone for their comments. 
I am really trying to learn my new Alien Bees and was wondering if on the shot linked by Jarod if you all use an umbrella/softbox or did you just aim the 7" reflector at people? 

Luis

Oct 01 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

**BUMP**

Oct 04 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

I use the Vagabond with Alien Bees fairly frequently for on-location work.  Never have had a problem with it and I highly recommend it.

This shot was taken this past spring during the evening using one AB1600 and the Vagabond with a 48"x18" PhotoFlex HalfDome softbox.

https://www.ephotique.com/WebImages/Leilene_032905_7365_800.jpg

Best regards,
John

Oct 04 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Bill and Luis,

The reflectors are really small.  Meaning you'd get super harsh light.  There may be someone who uses it without a SB or umbrella but not many.

Paul

Oct 04 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Thanks Paul,

I thought it was somewhat obvious, but it wasn't mentioned in any of the posts, so I wanted to get that clarified.

Oct 04 05 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Here's one I just edited up from last week.  This was shot in slightly overcast conditions with 2 ab's.  I didn't use the vagabond since I had an outlet nearby but it would have worked too.

The main light is camera right and is just the 7 inch reflector with some silk over the front as diffusion.  I would have used my beauty dish if I had room in the car for it but this works well if you pay attention to your angles.  I even prefer it to a very soft light in some ways.  The second light behind the model and camera left is just an open standard 7 inch reflector.

https://home.san.rr.com/gdp/IMG_1863s.jpg

Oct 05 05 12:12 am Link