Forums > Photography Talk > Location shooters - any experience with this power supply?

Photographer

Dayvid LeMmon

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Innovatronix Explorer 1200Ws http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/pro … /index.asp

Any thoughts? All this $250 sounds too good to be true. I know pure sinewave inverters go for around this much by themselves, but this bills itself as both an inverter and power supply capable of 500 flashes @ 600w/s. I did a brief google search and found a couple positive experiences, but I'm just curious as to if there's any more out there.  I have several calumet 750 monolights i need to feed, using a generator makes me nervous, and calumet wants over twice as much for a dedicated lower-powered battery system.

May 11 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

well they bill the unit as a pure sine wave invertor..
some how i doubt that, i would love to see the wave on an oscope..ill bet more of a PWM sine..

but even if its a PWM sine, it should handle charging a captive discharge device, like a strobe without issue..

alein bees sells thiers for 349.00 of which 199.00 is the inverter, 39.00 is the battery..the rest packaging and charging units..so its concievable..nice find

May 11 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
some how i doubt that, i would love to see the wave on an oscope..ill bet more of a PWM sine..

but even if its a PWM sine, it should handle charging a captive discharge device, like a strobe without issue..

alein bees sells thiers for 349.00 of which 199.00 is the inverter, 39.00 is the battery..the rest packaging and charging units..so its concievable..nice find

Just curious what the difference between a pure Sine and a PWM sine is? Does it have to do with screwing up your lights?

May 11 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by (MGAphoto) ANT: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Just curious what the difference between a pure Sine and a PWM sine is? Does it have to do with screwing up your lights?

hmmm... a pure sine wave usually comes from an alternator..
( your power company uses alternators to produce the power to your home)..the AC voltage in your home is a pure sine wave...

a PWM (pulse width modulation) inverter is a device that starts with a DC voltage, like a car battery and replicates an AC sine wave with semiconductor devices...it very choppy and hard on electronics..

most MFGs of strobes know this is the type of power being supplied in portable power supplys and build filters into thier units so theres no problems...best bet is to check with the MFG or your unit...

May 11 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dayvid LeMmon

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for your wisdom, Doug.  I think I'll give my manufacturer a call and see what they have to say.

May 11 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Norris Carden

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

Here are some that include batteries for around the same price or less...

http://www.4lots.com/index.asp?PageActi … tegory=214

The 400 model is more wattage and amp-hours than Alien Bees Vagabond for half the price. The big one is built into a roller... talk about convenient! They also seem to include power conditioning.

May 12 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I use vivitar 285's with umbrellas or sunpak 555's.. but then again I mostly shoot skateboarding so the big studio lights don't make sense for me to purhcase right now.

May 12 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

you can build your own. But if you choose to go with a Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter, it will cost you more than that unit.  I'm sure the capacitors in the powerpacks/strobes can handle a modified sine inverters just fine.  the advantage of building your own (typical 12V Car battery and a 12V inverter) is that you choose the size and type of battery. Those Optima batteries are kick ass. 
But at $250, the system you posted looks like a good deal.

May 12 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

I've used big Honda 3000 & up generators to power 4-8  4,000w/s packs for location shooting. EACH strobe manufacturer's power packs act differently with generators on location. Many packs do NOT like a slower surging trickle recharge cycle, they draw & expect to get full amp power on demand.

Trust me, this can be a major PITA, so it's best of you get as much information as possible from the maker, to be sure your lights/packs will be covered under warranty if you follow their instructions, and something goes wrong. 

StratMan

May 12 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

How many assistants will you have?  The more the merrier.  I never use flash anywhere I go.  Been shooting locations for the last 11 years in my 15+ year career.  I never liked that "sunset behind the girl pop the flash in her face look".....bleah.  Just not my style is all.

Take all your scrims and reflectors...use your assistants.  Faster production.

May 12 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Gary L.: 
I'm sure the capacitors in the powerpacks/strobes can handle a modified sine inverters just fine.

It depends on the design of the strobe system.  Alien Bees make it very clear that a modified sine wave can damage their strobes.  Check with the manufacturer.

May 12 05 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by michaelGIORDANO: 
I never liked that "sunset behind the girl pop the flash in her face look".....bleah.  Just not my style is all.

Take all your scrims and reflectors...use your assistants.  Faster production.

Really?  I love it (can you tell?).  I use reflectors and scrims to, it's all good.  Just depends on the look I want for a particular shot.

May 12 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by Gary L.: 
I'm sure the capacitors in the powerpacks/strobes can handle a modified sine inverters just fine.

It depends on the design of the strobe system.  Alien Bees make it very clear that a modified sine wave can damage their strobes.  Check with the manufacturer.

you are right, one should check to make sure their gear will be ok with these devices.  I don't use Alien Bee, plus, doesn't Alien Bee sell batteries for their units?

May 12 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

This is confusing smile I would like to get something portable but these lighting companies kill you by charging $$$ for their portable units.

May 12 05 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by (MGAphoto) ANT: 
This is confusing smile I would like to get something portable but these lighting companies kill you by charging $$$ for their portable units.

the suggestion that you buy a car battery and a DC to AC inverter from an auto parts store isn't a half bad idea..

i have the alien bee lamps with the vagabond power supply..the vagabond is nothing more then a 12v (motorcycle) battery and an AC to DC inverter..not a pure sine wave..so i am not sure why they suggest thier lamps dont work with that type power supply...perhaps to scare you not build your own...

like i said before, the only place to get a pure sine wave is from your household recepticle, or an alternator like the honda mentioned previously..(generators produce DC electricity, alternators produc AC, not sure why honda calls thier unit a generator..it produces AC)

May 12 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
i have the alien bee lamps with the vagabond power supply..the vagabond is nothing more then a 12v (motorcycle) battery and an AC to DC inverter..not a pure sine wave..so i am not sure why they suggest thier lamps dont work with that type power supply...perhaps to scare you not build your own...

How do you know it's not a pure sine wave inverter?  AB seem very up front about providing information and it all seems to make sense.  I don't see any reason to doubt them.

like i said before, the only place to get a pure sine wave is from your household recepticle, or an alternator like the honda mentioned previously..(generators produce DC electricity, alternators produc AC, not sure why honda calls thier unit a generator..it produces AC)

This is incorrect.  Generators do NOT produce DC (my best guess is you're using automotive terminology which is oversimplified and not applicable to this discussion).  And not all generators will produce a true sine wave, many of them will clip under heavy load.  The honda generators I've looked at sounded like they were well regulated though so would probably be ok as long as they could handle the power requirements.  These power requirements are pretty high though because of the surge that happens and the begining of the recycle period of the flash.

And this is how the AB power inverter differs from most other inverters or generators:  It is current limiting so when it gets the sudden surge from the flash recycling, it drops the voltage or "browns out".  This is how they get around the large power requirement.  Other devices try to maintain the voltage which creates a huge power demand and can distort the wave or trip the circuit breaker.  AB flash units are designed to handle this lower voltage but other brands may not.

May 12 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Gary L.: 
doesn't Alien Bee sell batteries for their units?

yes they do, but for some reason a lot of people seem bent on finding alternative solutions.

For some people the battery life isn't enough.  You could certainly find a bigger batter and just get the AB inverter (or even any other inverter as long as it meets the required specs) but you'd be hard pressed to find something cheaper.  Any 12V lead acid battery with a high enough Ah rating will work.  On another message board someone found an inverter that looks compatible and is about $50 less than the AB inverter by itself.

And if you need portable power but don't want to go with a battery system, AB we help you find a suitable generator (which they don't sell).

May 12 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

How do you know it's not a pure sine wave inverter?  AB seem very up front about providing information and it all seems to make sense.  I don't see any reason to doubt them.

This is incorrect.  Generators do NOT produce DC (my best guess is you're using automotive terminology which is oversimplified and not applicable to this discussion).  And not all generators will produce a true sine wave, many of them will clip under heavy load.  The honda generators I've looked at sounded like they were well regulated though so would probably be ok as long as they could handle the power requirements.  These power requirements are pretty high though because of the surge that happens and the begining of the recycle period of the flash.

And this is how the AB power inverter differs from most other inverters or generators:  It is current limiting so when it gets the sudden surge from the flash recycling, it drops the voltage or "browns out".  This is how they get around the large power requirement.  Other devices try to maintain the voltage which creates a huge power demand and can distort the wave or trip the circuit breaker.  AB flash units are designed to handle this lower voltage but other brands may not.

Q. how do i know its not a pure sine invertor?
A. because its starting with a DC voltage ie: no sine wave..direct current..its is chopped into an AC sine wave via IGBT (transistors) components.

statement "generators do not produce DC" this is false.

a generator is comprised of a wound armature with a commutator and field coils..carbon brushes make the electrical contact to the rotating element to the stationary housing. it produces DC voltage..
effectively a generator is a DC motor that is rotated mechanically from an outside source..an excitor voltage is applied to the field coils to create a magnetic fields inside the stator housing and the wound armature is the conductor that is passed through the magnetic field to produce voltage..which is pulled off the brushes..
DC voltage has no sine wave..on a scope it shows a straight line...

you will not find a commutator in a honda generator, because a honda generator is in effect an alternator

an alternator produces alternating current..ie AC voltage..
alternating current gets its name from the fact that the voltage alternates from positive to negative at a certain frequency..more often them not 60 cylces per second or 60HZ for short. on a scope there is a verticle "S" shape that diagrams the voltage in AC voltage alternating from pos to neg..it is a pure sine wave...

automtive terms..it used to be that cars had generators in them..they have since been replaced with alternators becasue there alot less pieces in them...

but doug, you said that alternaotrs produce AC and my car has a 12 volt DC system..well thats right your car has alternator that produces AC voltgae, but before it comes out of that little aluminum case, its rectified by a three phase full wave bridge rectifier and a triAC that allows the current to flow in only one directtion..it keeps the viltoge from alternating..so you get in effect DC voltage...

all invertors are current limiting..they are limited to the current carrying component that produce the chopeed sine wave..or they would all burn out the moment the battery power dropped and still tried to produce the rated output voltage...sized properly, the inverters should work without issue..

did i miss anything?

May 12 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

"Q. how do i know its not a pure sine invertor?
A. because its starting with a DC voltage ie: no sine wave..direct current..its is chopped into an AC sine wave via IGBT (transistors) components."
This is nit picking.

"a generator is comprised of a wound armature with a commutator and field coils"
A generator doesn't necessarily have a commutator.  With a commutator, yes it will produce DC. Without a commutator it produces AC.

"all invertors are current limiting..they are limited to the current carrying component that produce the chopeed sine wave..or they would all burn out the moment the battery power dropped and still tried to produce the rated output voltage"
Shutting down or failing is not current limiting.

"sized properly, the inverters should work without issue."
True, but a non current limiting or true sine wave inverter would require a much high power capacity in order to be "sized properly".

BTW, I don't feel like arguing semantics all night.

May 13 05 12:57 am Link