Forums > Photography Talk > Inspiring Quotes

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportions."

Sir Francis Bacon

Oct 18 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

"The problem for an amateur is that he/she has no reason to take a photograph." -Terence Donovan

"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything." -John Steinbeck

"Finding the right subject is the hardest part." -Mary Ellen Mark

"A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes." -Sam Abell

"My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person." -Andy Warhol

"People are under the illusion that it's easy...Technically, it is complex. You have a million options with equipment to distract you. I tell my students to simplify their equipment." -Brett Weston

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." -Brett Weston, Attributed to Brett Weston referring to working with a 10 x 8 view camera. In an interview with David Graham in July 1989 View Camera magazine (lol)

Oct 28 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

When asked how he felt about missing photographs while he reloaded his camera with film, he replied "There are no photographs while I'm reloading" -Garry Winogrand

Oct 28 05 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

"After following the crowd for a while, I'd then go 180 degrees in the exact opposite direction. It always worked for me, but then again, I'm very lucky." -Elliott Erwitt, on getting a different picture.

"The advice I would give to any photographer - young, old or in-between - is to explore anything visual because this is, after all, how you express your artistry. Look at paintings, movies, drawings, sculptures - look at anything visual and try to integrate that into your visual sense. After that, go out and take pictures and keep on taking pictures!" -Elliott Erwitt, On the Question: "What advice would you give to a young photographer starting out today?" Interview with Erwitt at http://www.milkphoto.com/elliott_converse.shtm

Dec 07 05 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament. Its beauty comes from the fact that the author is what he is. It has nothing to do with the fact that other people want what they want. Indeed, the moment that an artist takes notice of what other people want, and tries to supply the demand, he ceases to be an artist, and becomes a dull or an amusing craftsman, an honest or dishonest tradesman. He has no further claim to be considered as an artist."

- Oscar Wilde

Dec 07 05 11:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

You have to work so go to bed.

Dec 12 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

"Leica, schmeica.  The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."

-Ernst Haas

Dec 13 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I have a lot of spirituality tighed in to my photography so yeah, these might seem weird.

"I can't see the picture until I close my eyes"

"Its not about what you see, but about what you don't see, hidden in the shadows and darkness.  There inlies what makes my art."

"A picture just sees what the eyes can see.  A photograph can peirce all the way to the subjects soul"

"Mistakes and imperfections are what make good photographs good"  think that one though and though.  You will evintually understand that one.

Dec 13 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Oh, one more, he he

"Jesus used adobe, why shouldn't I?"

I am so going to hell for that one, lol

Dec 13 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Hobbs

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"There are only two problems in photography. One is how to conquer light. The other is how to capture a moment of reality just as you release the shutter. By reality, I mean provoking an emotional response in your subject. Making him spark to life. Every man must learn to work out those two problems for himself."

---Edward Steichen

"There is only you and your camera - the limitations of your photography are in yourself, for what we see is only what we are."

---Ernst Haas

"Photography is, to me, more than a means of expression, more than a particular profession - it is a way of life. And if I were asked to choose one word which holds the key to my work I would select 'light' - for light is my language, and it is international, readily understood by any person..."

--Yousuf Karsh

Dec 14 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

"Passion is the genesis of genius."
—Anthony Robbins

Dec 14 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

"Here's your check"

Dec 14 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

ILLIXIT

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MikeyBoy wrote:
" I have nipples.. can you milk me ? "   Robert DeNiro in 'Meet the Parents'

>wink

"Its not that I engage in such morbid acts, I just depict them"
wish i remembered

Dec 14 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

The Flux Capacitor... it's what makes time travel possible.

-Dr. Emmitt Brown

Dec 14 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

"god gave us imperfection.... a week later we made adobe"

Dec 14 05 07:11 pm Link

Model

TiffanyB

Clinton, Mississippi, US

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Dec 14 05 07:18 pm Link

Model

avie

New York, New York, US

Harrison Sweazea wrote:
oops, double posted...sorry...guess I fit into that category too, eh? LOL

LOL!!!

Dec 14 05 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

"there will never be enough breath in me to thank god for this simple tiny life of mine." me, age 17

Dec 14 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

"piss off, no one cares"  Greg Rice

Dec 14 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

"I'll pay you"

Dec 14 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

"there are no accidents in photography, just f*&^ers who don't know what they are doing" over heard at glamourcon.

Dec 14 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

ravens laughter wrote:
"piss off, no one cares"  Greg Rice

HAHA thats fuckn great thanks larry

Dec 14 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

from photography in malaysia/nikon:

Why do most great pictures look so uncontrived ? Why do photographers bother with deception, especially since too often requires the hardest work of all? The answer is, that the deception is necessary if the goal of art is to be reached. Only pictures that look as if they have been easily made can convincingly suggest that BEAUTY is commonplace...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/entry.htm

Dec 14 05 09:49 pm Link