Forums > Photography Talk > Flash diffuser, any alternative way?

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

Currently I am using my Sony F828 for my photography class and photoshoots.  And I believe most of you know that any built in flash sucks.  So, is there any quick/alternative way to create a flash diffuser for the builtin flash light like the external flash on the DSLR and be able to get the same results for outdoor portraits (i.e. without the big shadows in the back and still manage to light things up in the correct way)?

Thx for the help in advance.

Nick

May 14 05 01:20 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Since you want to rig something for cheap, I'd just suggest getting creative with posterboard, waxpaper, clear-plasic lids (like from a Pringles can or such), multiple-layers of Saran-Wrap or Scotch-Tape and stuff like that. Grab some scissors. See what you can come up with.

May 14 05 02:19 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I used to have a Sony F717.  Why not get the external flash for it?

May 14 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I used to have a Sony F717.  Why not get the external flash for it?

Oh, sure. You just do it the easy way!

Well, Nick, he is right. If you can afford an external, just do that. Much better than trying to jury-rig a diffuser.

May 14 05 05:18 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Problem with the Sony F828 is that it has that pop up flash. I use this camera myself and I love it, but I rarely use the flash. It has quite an ability to shoot beautifully using just natural light by opening all the way up, and changing to a quick shutter speed. However, if you are going to use the flash and want it defused, here are a coupla tricks.
Open your flash, take an old credit card, bend it in half and tape it to the flash with the bent half infront of the flash, in which ever direction you'd like the light to be softened. If you want to keep all over light (as in fill) but want it softened; take an old rubbing alcohol bottle, cut out the bottom and use it as a defuse cover; it works pretty well.

May 14 05 06:29 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 
If you can afford an external, just do that.

Sony HVL-F32X.

May 14 05 07:31 am Link

Photographer

NH

that's what I figured.  Might as well get a ext flash and a diffuser cap for it.  Thx guys.

May 14 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marc17

Seattle, Washington, US

Haven't tried it but a photographer friend of mine suggested translucent scotch tape over the flash. Said he always carried a roll in his camera bag so that if he found that he needed it, he could just tear off a piece or two to put over the flash.

May 14 05 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

NH

ok, I just placed the order for the ext. flash.  But one question came up.  Does the built in diffuser works as good as the diffuser cap?  Cause if it doesn't, I will have to buy one before my shoot next Saturday.

May 14 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by NH: 
ok, I just placed the order for the ext. flash.  But one question came up.  Does the built in diffuser works as good as the diffuser cap?  Cause if it doesn't, I will have to buy one before my shoot next Saturday.

An omni bounce works best.

May 14 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

The HVL-F32X is a great little flash that is dedicated to the 828 (though I shoot 10D and 20D Canon, I owned the 828 for a short time but was unhappy with the camera overall).  With the HVL-F32X you can mount it on a flash bracket, but unfortunately the sync cable isn't very long so you can't get it too far away from the camera.  It also doesn't adjust too well for bouncing. 

May 14 05 06:24 pm Link