Forums > Photography Talk > Ping your pics!!!

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Ok this could get ugly lol  I have a feeling some people are setting up their computers to ping their pictures to get the hits up So they look more important...  Anyone else ever thing about this???

Dec 03 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I guess I'm just a dumb blonde because I don't understand what you mean by this...but if it's what I think...that people are fraudulantly getting "hits" on their photos, my thoughts are that it is pretty sad that someone feels they need to do this.  I mean, everyone's work should be able to stand on it's own.  I don't look at a photo and think that a person is better or worse for how many hits they have.  I actually think that if a person does that, it is quite pathetic...and we should feel sorry for them...

Dec 03 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I'm not sure if it is possible to simply ping your pics... It's a little more complicated I guess...

Dec 03 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:
Ok this could get ugly lol  I have a feeling some people are setting up their computers to ping their pictures to get the hits up So they look more important...  Anyone else ever thing about this???

Personally, I don't care. In the long run, the work speaks for itself..... unless there is nudity, that always gets a lot more views for some reason.. hmmmm ... wonder if there is some kind of pattern there.....

Dec 03 05 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Jeff Fiore wrote:

Personally, I don't care. In the long run, the work speaks for itself..... unless there is nudity, that always gets a lot more views for some reason.. hmmmm ... wonder if there is some kind of pattern there.....

Yea I wonder if there is a pattern there lol

Dec 03 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well after pinging myself for 30 odd times my arm fell alseep and I had to stop. bs

Dec 03 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:

But I have to agree. Models get way more PINGS. I saw one photographer who was on this forum like 1 month and had like 200 hits on each photo.  Not many comments but lots and lots of hits.  Which I think were his own doing.  IMHO.  But I have been wrong before. bs

Dec 03 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Warhol

Madison, Alabama, US

I have never heard of this. I visit several different forums and some will actually state something like...this photo has been viewed 136 (excluding you).

Dec 03 05 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Is "ping" yourself short for wiping yourself?  If that's the case, I hope everyone does.

Dec 03 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:

I doubt it, seriously. Hits are not quiet like comments. I don't care about the number of hits a photo has, it's the context of the comments and the image that talk to me.

Does it really matter what someone else is doing or are you feeling insecure of your work? I’m curious why you started this thread.

Dec 03 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Many of the photographers that are actually the very best in the real world are not that popular when they come on the internet. And a few are. Internet popularity doesn't have much correlation to success (postive or negative). Trying to artificially pump up your internet popularity would be pretty pointless.

Dec 03 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fotowirxx

Portland, Oregon, US

Sounds to me like it's more trouble than it's worth, that is if extra hits are worth anything...............

Dec 03 05 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Toria wrote:
I guess I'm just a dumb blonde because I don't understand what you mean by this...

I didn't know what it was either at first glance and my hair is almost jet black.  Although I'd hate to consider the implications if JBPhoto is right:  people who want others wiping them but have to resort to fake wiping... a very unsettling thought.

Dec 03 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

I didn't know what it was either at first glance and my hair is almost jet black.  Although I'd hate to consider the implications if JBPhoto is right:  people who want others wiping them but have to resort to fake wiping... a very unsettling thought.

The end results would be an un-natural accumulation or excess of excrement in ones probile, er profile.

Dec 03 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

Check the +18 box on regular pictures and see if your count goes up for each picture, people seem to do that and the curious onlooker views it to find the nudity... furthering my thought that a lot of traffic is browsing for high res. nudes rather than talent.

Dec 03 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Scott wrote:
Check the +18 box on regular pictures and see if your count goes up for each picture, people seem to do that and the curious onlooker views it to find the nudity... furthering my thought that a lot of traffic is browsing for high res. nudes rather than talent.

I think that works. I have one photo marked 18+ where the model is wearing a wet t-shirt to expose a glimps of nipple and it's gotten more hits then any other image in my portfolio.  Sheesh, some members......

Dec 03 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:

That is not new. It's part of the bullshit game on the Internet.

Dec 03 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Rancho Santa Margarita, California, US

bobby sargent wrote:
Well after pinging myself for 30 odd times my arm fell alseep and I had to stop. bs

LOL, yeah my hand went numb :-)

Dec 03 05 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:

what would be the  purpose be?!?...is there a special secret prize available i am not aware of?!?...i have posted photos of celebrities, nudes, and lesbians but the pix with the most hits/views is the photo of me.

Dec 04 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

First one to reach 1,000,000,000 wins a free membership!

Dec 04 05 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I thought I was pinging my photos, but they turned out to be someone elses...dah!

Not really, I'm to busy looking at everyone elses nudes to do any pinging.  And I know I don't have any in my port.

Dec 04 05 09:10 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
First one to reach 1,000,000,000 wins a free membership!

waits for the tsunami of *ping my picture* threads

Dec 04 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

some people have way too much time on their hands sad

Dec 04 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:

Well, you can actually get hits on your photos by looking at your own portfolio, even while on your  screen name. You dont have to do it from another account. I found that out by accident when I knew a photo only had 2 views and then I went to make sure it looked ok and noticed it was at 3 views after that. My ego is not so huge that I have to have the most views on my photographs. I actually use it as a gauge to see which ones I should keep and let go.So I don`t tamper.

Dec 04 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
My ego is not so huge that I have to have the most views on my photographs. I actually use it as a gauge to see which ones I should keep and let go.So I don`t tamper.

I agree.  I would actually prefer that visits to our own photos did not count as a view, just so we could read the comments left on them without skewing the view count.

Dec 04 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I agree.  I would actually prefer that visits to our own photos did not count as a view, just so we could read the comments left on them without skewing the view count.

Therein lies a technical problem. You can't read the comments people leave without adding to the view count.

Dec 04 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Far West Imaging wrote:
... I'm to busy looking at everyone elses nudes to do any pinging.

Me too. I'd rather be learning to take better shots by viewing those of OTHERS.

Dec 05 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

jac3950 wrote:

Therein lies a technical problem. You can't read the comments people leave without adding to the view count.

Not to mention you can't check how horribly MM has "jaypegged" your picture without racking up views (especially if you're a little OCD, and check it several times to be sure that the compression loss isn't gonna drive you crazy - but then again, maybe it's too late by then LOL). Took me a minute to figure out why a pic I just added had 4 views...

I can't see any benefit to "pinging" oneself, nor any detrimental effects to non-self-pinging members. Sort of like writing great things about yourself on a bathroom wall. Who cares? Those folks weed themselves out, at least according to Darwin.

Dec 05 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I am assuming that most people on this site look at an image and decide for themselves whether they like it or not. If I see a crappy image that has 500 hits, it will not make me like it more.....and at the same time if I see an fantastic image with 5 hits I am not going to say "hmmmmm, I really like this but it only has 5 hits......I must be wrong".

Dec 05 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Warhol wrote:
I have never heard of this. I visit several different forums and some will actually state something like...this photo has been viewed 136 (excluding you).

My galleries on Pbase, it does not count the viewings I make on my own photos (unless I log out).  But I did post in the forums introducinga  new gallery.  And the thread viewings where a LOT higher than my gallery viewing which confused me. I was wondering why so many people weren't interested in looking at the gallery...when it turned out, the thread was not getting many hits...it was ME looking at it each time. ha!

Dec 05 05 05:29 pm Link