Forums > Photography Talk > I tried to make conversation with a woman....

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Rancho Santa Margarita, California, US

I tried to make conversation with a woman today holding an old norman
flash and what looked like an old power supply.

I said nice day out isn't it... she ignored me, I said, boy.....that sure looks like an old time light from norman, and still no reply as I looked right at her two feet away.

I said, so is that an old camera flash, her repsonse was oh I don't know-
I said well you can see just from looking at it, and I pointed to it and it was all old looking, and paint chipping off.

She said nothing, I said so.....(long pause) what's the name of your company, she said oh I'm not the photographer I'm his assistant.

I said oh I see....well is that the wedding party your helping with, she said yeah- (large wedding party exiting a hummer limo (newport beach)
I said oh nice weather for that....she said nothing, I said. so what's the name of the photographers comapny, she said A - something, A- and a name and then she said, oh maybe it's photography, and not photogapher....

Clueless- I guess....just try to be nice and friendly and it's like talking to a brick wall-

Anyone ever get weird looks, or when you smile at another photog out on location like at the beach, they just almost stair you down, with a frown.....lol

What are some experiences you have to share, am I all alone?

Dec 03 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

sounds like she was working at the time & maybe in another moment she'd be more conversational...or maybe not.

Dec 03 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Try carring a nice camera around Seattle people make you feel like your a undercover photoguy taking pics of them b/c they are cheating on there wifes and your the sleeezzz bag surveillance guy snapping away to get the proof... but maybe that was just me

Dec 03 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

qphotonyc wrote:
sounds like she was working at the time & maybe in another moment she'd be more conversational...or maybe not.

hummm, could be..... she coulden't think of the name of the person she was assisting? diden't know the equiopment she was holding was old? and generally seemed like she coulden't really talk....

I only comment on this because, it seems like if it were me, I would like to think I could talk, did know the name of the person I was helping, at a minimum.

just the general demenor of other photogs while out-

Dec 03 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

Master Image Photograph: was it clear you were also on a shoot at the time of this conversation? I didn't get that from your description. I have certainly been in Malibu near other fotogs and been completely ignored. As for this woman, was she attractive? This is Southern California, after all, and you know how a lot of the lookers in this town can be. I once approached a woman in the Beverly Center about taking pics and she completely ignored me as I walked beside her, and trust me, I am not intimidating or roguish in the least. That experience was an eye opener. I realized there are people in this city who are just flat out rude, even when you approach them with respect and decency.

Dec 03 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Scaramanga wrote:
Master Image Photograph: was it clear you were also on a shoot at the time of this conversation? I didn't get that from your description. I have certainly been in Malibu near other fotogs and been completely ignored. As for this woman, was she attractive? This is Southern California, after all, and you know how a lot of the lookers in this town can be. I once approached a woman in the Beverly Center about taking pics and she completely ignored me as I walked beside her, and trust me, I am not intimidating or roguish in the least. That experience was an eye opener. I realized there are people in this city who are just flat out rude, even when you approach them with respect and decency.

Thank you for validating me living in the good ol' OC...well this was where she was standing awaiting I assume for her photog boss, and the wedding party as they exited the limo- she was quite some distance away from them, just standing there. I walked up to her becasue she had this old light and most people I think like to talk about themselves or their stuff- so I commented about it, I had my camera in my tameron bag, slung over my shoulder....she was younger and attractive-

Dec 03 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Master Image Photograph wrote:
....she was younger and attractive-

That says it all, unfortunately.

Dec 03 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Scaramanga wrote:

That says it all, unfortunately.

yeah but she was not amazingly hot, just attractive, in an above average way, just ok-

I think she was just rude or down right clueless.

Dec 03 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Now...
I'm not a woman - I'm a man.
I'm not a photographer's assistant - I'm the photographer.

But, when I'm doing a location shoot, the last thing in the world I want, is some other photographer, who happens to be strolling by, engaging me in 'photo' conversation.
I'm working, I'm in my own world...

But that's just me...

John

Dec 03 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

John Allan wrote:
Now...
I'm not a woman - I'm a man.
I'm not a photographer's assistant - I'm the photographer.

But, when I'm doing a location shoot, the last thing in the world I want, is some other photographer, who happens to be strolling by, engaging me in 'photo' conversation.
I'm working, I'm in my own world...

But that's just me...

John

fair enough- but time after time, I'd think I'd be happy to just be out on a beautiful day making money, and someone smiles and says hi, or asked about a piece of equipment, it certainly woulen't be any skin off my nose to be polite and give a friendly answear-

but that's just me-

Dec 03 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i use my charm, good looks and motivational speaker skillz to charm the pants off the frigid gals.

Dec 04 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

fair enough- but time after time, I'd think I'd be happy to just be out on a beautiful day making money, and someone smiles and says hi, or asked about a piece of equipment, it certainly woulen't be any skin off my nose to be polite and give a friendly answear-

but that's just me-

Why do you care so much to be polite with someone you don't know in the first place, or someone with you?

Dec 04 05 05:27 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Let's see... holding what sounds like a Norman 400B and no camera? Definitely an assistant. Definitely would piss the boss off for shooting the breeze with a passerby and not being johnnie-on-the-spot for him.

Dec 04 05 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

I said nice day out isn't it... she ignored me, I said, boy.....that sure looks like an old time light from norman, and still no reply as I looked right at her two feet away.

I said well you can see just from looking at it, and I pointed to it and it was all old looking, and paint chipping off.

She said nothing

At least now you know those aren't very good pickup lines. tongue

Dec 04 05 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Anyone ever get weird looks, or when you smile at another photog out on location like at the beach, they just almost stair you down, with a frown.....lol

Years ago in trying to find a pro to be a mentor to me I visited several nearby photographers. On stopped me before I could open my portfolio and said "if that's what I think it is, I don't even want to see it," then walked away and disappeared into their studio before I could answer.

The next one did not look at my portfolio either and had their assistant talk to me. I left me information but never heard anything.

I have had bad luck in trying to just talk to established photographers.

Henry

Dec 04 05 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:
Try carring a nice camera around Seattle people make you feel like your a undercover photoguy taking pics of them b/c they are cheating on there wifes and your the sleeezzz bag surveillance guy snapping away to get the proof... but maybe that was just me

I was in my small town's allies taking some pics of things like trees and weird thing that people put out in the trash. (Okay, im weird.) Anyway, one guy came rushing out of his back door acussing me of spying on him. He even accused me of working for a specific person. When I tried to explain the art photography that I was doing, he called me a lier. I finally walked away. *shrug*

Henry

Dec 04 05 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Let's see... holding what sounds like a Norman 400B and no camera? Definitely an assistant. Definitely would piss the boss off for shooting the breeze with a passerby and not being johnnie-on-the-spot for him.

This could be. The might not be happy about the job, maybe was notified about the shoot last moment, maybe had a fight with the photographer, maybe was lectured about not paying attention.

Its rude, and I understand. But, as in me other message, I have been snubbed by photographers several times. Even somewhat threatened by one "territorial" one to stay out of the business. With an "or else" tone in his voice. Now I have trouble getting models. Hmmmm.

Henry

Dec 04 05 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

all I know is that everyone always has better equipment than me and I always feel like a loser....

Dec 04 05 07:40 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
all I know is that everyone always has better equipment than me and I always feel like a loser....

simply put, dont...it is the person behind the lens that is the most important variable in the capture of an image...there are members who own the latest and greatest Nikon or Canon creation and their work looks like three dogs engaging in sexual intercourse.

your portfolio makes your statement, and you have a very strong statment to make.

Dec 04 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have tried to network with other local professional photographers, I have found very few to be friendly at all......once they knew I was a photographer it was as if I was some kind of threat to them and I was gonna steal all their business.....the stink of the whole thing is I would never do that, nor would their clients jump ship if they were happy anyhow.....anyone who comes to me that has used another photographer does so on their own freewill, not because I pulled the rug out from under that photographer.....Also those who specialized in weddings, I could have sent them work, because I would only take on more "budget" weddings because weddings aren't my specialty.......bigger weddings I could have referred to some body if those I met weren't total fucking assholes.....

Dec 04 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Taj Elmelik

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Why is so difficult for you to swallow up the idea that someone simply doesent wanna talk to u?? phtography is not a religion that demean photographer who does not like to answer to other photographers, if they like to use old gear or new , its totally up to them. you seem sacastice and not nice at all talking about she is not amazingly hot, or the old Norman Flash, bitter about the whole thing, get over it, as long as you feel hotter and more up to date in your gears and flashes.

Dec 04 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Taj Elmelik wrote:
Why is so difficult for you to swallow up the idea that someone simply doesent wanna talk to u?? phtography is not a religion that demean photographer who does not like to answer to other photographers, if they like to use old gear or new , its totally up to them. you seem sacastice and not nice at all talking about she is not amazingly hot, or the old Norman Flash, bitter about the whole thing, get over it, as long as you feel hotter and more up to date in your gears and flashes.

I didn't take it the same way.......it didn't seem to me that he was knocking her gear, but was trying to make friendly banter because of a common link. How she took it who knows....I think his whole point was that she was that rude when he was only trying to be nice and strike up a little conversation....if it wasn't a good time to talk she could have said so.......if she were in the middle of something I doubt he would have talked to her.....I dunno, maybe there was some misunderstanding....but I too have found many other photographers to be rude or snooty, even off the job, it's a shame more can't network and not be that way.

Dec 04 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I remember at my former job my boss saying something to the effect
of 'everybodies not as friendly as you, Tony.'  I often see photographers
with cool cameras or equipment and most aren't intrest in talking.
Maybe their too busy maybe they are just rude.  I think though people react
to many things from fear.  Fear of the man who is just being friendly for
example.

Dec 04 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Pitaru wrote:

Why do you care so much to be polite with someone you don't know in the first place, or someone with you?

Your question pretty much answears your own question...I guess though for me it's about treating others as I wouls want to be treated-

Just common decency- I guess you could say- does that help you to understand why I asked the question in the first place?

If we assumed everyone diden't care, and coulden't muster enough pleasant attitude to even talk to a fellow human being, then doesen't that make those humans, less than human, no emotion= no care= pretty much don't care about our fellow human being, that could transfer to a society like we have,,, so many people stepping on everyone else to get ahead some even to the point of hurting others.

WHen all we need is just to smile and say hi, in the first place, unless of course your just not a nice person-

Dec 04 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Jay Farrell wrote:

I didn't take it the same way.......it didn't seem to me that he was knocking her gear, but was trying to make friendly banter because of a common link. How she took it who knows....I think his whole point was that she was that rude when he was only trying to be nice and strike up a little conversation....if it wasn't a good time to talk she could have said so.......if she were in the middle of something I doubt he would have talked to her.....I dunno, maybe there was some misunderstanding....but I too have found many other photographers to be rude or snooty, even off the job, it's a shame more can't network and not be that way.

Oh yes, your exactly right, thank you for making and supporting my point, this other person you replied to wanted to quickly jump on me and make assumptions, they couln't be more wrong- they made assumptions of me without ever talking to me or knowing the full account of what happend, one can make general observations, but to tell me I was the one being rude, or putting another person down for older equip is laughable, I in fact was trying to make small talk while she stood there waiting...she could have said oh....yeah it's that good ol' stuff yo ucan't beat the dependablilty, she could have known the name of the guy she was working for, lol....and it's just a case of her being a space cadet more than anything I think- my opinion of her not being"that hot" I'm intitled to my own opionions....

Thanks for your help on this post !

Dec 04 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Ok to disspell any thoughts about equipment prouwis, I did not have my equip showing, it was in a bag.

Basically this post is about, many, many, many times over the years I've had a few photogs say hi or acknowledgy there fellow photog- with a smile, or hi how are ya-

vast majority of photogs that I have came accross are rude, impersonal, indifferant and just not someone who I would think would get business do to there attitude-

You see I love what I do, I am passionate about it, and I try and like people- I try and be frinedly, I am the type of person in the grocery store who steps aside when somone is pushing their cart down the isle at blazing speed, and about runs into you with out even saying excuse me, they look at me like it was my fault to begin with and give me "the look of disgust" I always say sorry....excuse me....hi, maybe it's just a smile, people just look at me like, what are you looking at----

(so for those of you who fit the first discription of the person with the cart) we will just have to see that there are differances, those of you like me- know what I'm talking about-

Dec 04 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Daniel Kwan wrote:

At least now you know those aren't very good pickup lines. tongue

LOL, interesting you thought it was a pick up line- I'm married with two kids-
smile

Dec 04 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I too have tried to strike up a few friendly conversations after another photographer was done with a shoot in the same area, too which I had luck and have since collaborated with him a few times with great results!  I think that was probly an isolated incident, but well worth the chance of it turning bad!

However, I have read that it is inappropriate and in poor taste for assistants to do anything but their task at hand.

Dec 04 05 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Scott wrote:
I too have tried to strike up a few friendly conversations after another photographer was done with a shoot in the same area, too which I had luck and have since collaborated with him a few times with great results!  I think that was probly an isolated incident, but well worth the chance of it turning bad!

However, I have read that it is inappropriate and in poor taste for assistants to do anything but their task at hand.

So the assistant is standing on the corner I assume waiting for the photog she is with, too get to where she is, maybe he/she is talking to the wedding party, she appears to just be holding the equipment,  no one is talking to her, we are talkng here in this instance of a 30 seconds or a minute of time,

So while your an assistant your precluded from being friendly or knowing the name of the person your assisting, I take it this was probably her first time assisting, and once again, seemed to just be a little spacey....

Dec 04 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

Pitaru wrote:

thats just how americans are

Dec 05 05 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Maybe west coast people are paranoid?  Dunno.

Us NY'ers even though we have the reputation of being rude, meeting other photographers, we usually find new friends.  I was shooting the leaves change up at Ft. Tyron/Cloisters, and met a few other Canon heads up there.  We shared secret shooting spots and got some sweet pics.

Dec 05 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I don't talk to strangers.

Dec 05 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

but that's just me-

Maybe she's been chewed out for fraternizing and not paying attention to her job while on location?  Never know.  Plus, as a photog, I wouldn't mind someone asking me questions and being polite.  But I will admit, I'd be a little irked if someone (especially a photog) was chatting it up with my assistant(s).

Dec 05 05 10:23 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

maybe you couldnt figure out that she didnt feel like talking to someone right then........and wanted you to go away...

Dec 05 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

LOL, interesting you thought it was a pick up line- I'm married with two kids-

And I'm sure you were the first married guy with two kids that tried to hit on her.

The photographer probably gave her strict instructions not to talk to anyone.

You know how fickle those wedding photographers can be wink

Dec 05 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

The Don Mon wrote:
maybe you couldnt figure out that she didnt feel like talking to someone right then........and wanted you to go away...

Oh that's funny, no I don't think so.....sounds like the thought process of another rude individual.

Dec 05 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

DigitalCMH wrote:

Maybe she's been chewed out for fraternizing and not paying attention to her job while on location?  Never know.  Plus, as a photog, I wouldn't mind someone asking me questions and being polite.  But I will admit, I'd be a little irked if someone (especially a photog) was chatting it up with my assistant(s).

Please let's air on the side of assuming that I'm just a regular tourist with an eye for old camera equipment, maybe I just stood there looking at the limo-hummer and as she stood there (like in an elivator) you look over and make small talk....

interesting how people want to blame me for talking to another person, or let her off the hook (keep in mind she did not even know the name of the person she was assisting), or at least coulden't get it right....
lol,  funny people want to make all kinds of assumptions-

I just brought up the topic, as it reminded me of how clueless some people are, but still mangage to make money from this business.

Dec 05 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

I tried to make conversation with a woman today holding an old norman
flash and what looked like an old power supply.

She said nothing, I said so.....(long pause) what's the name of your company, she said oh I'm not the photographer I'm his assistant.

I said oh I see....well is that the wedding party your helping with, she said yeah- (large wedding party exiting a hummer limo (newport beach)
I said oh nice weather for that....she said nothing, I said. so what's the name of the photographers comapny, she said A - something, A- and a name and then she said, oh maybe it's photography, and not photogapher....

Clueless- I guess....just try to be nice and friendly and it's like talking to a brick wall-

You should have taken out your camera and started snapping photos of her standing there...and see if you got a reaction..smile

Dec 05 05 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

my mama always told me not to talk to strangers!!!

Dec 05 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Studio200 wrote:

You should have taken out your camera and started snapping photos of her standing there...and see if you got a reaction..smile

LOL that's funny smile

Dec 05 05 01:53 pm Link