Forums > Photography Talk > David Lachapelle on Trio

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

If you get the channel "Trio" in your area they have been playing a show about David Lachapelle lately. http://www.triotv.com/david_lachapelle  It's called "Portrait of a Photographer". It's an hour long history of his career. I wish they showed behind the scenes of some of his more elaborate lighting setups though. In every shoot they show him using nothing but a ProFoto ring flash. http://www.profoto.com/product.php?catI … ductId=161

Apr 13 05 10:58 am Link

Model

Victoria E

West Hartford, Connecticut, US

Damn, I would love to see that but I don't get that channel sad

Apr 14 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

emac

Escondido, California, US

LaChapelle's lighting isn't very complicated.

If you look through his books, or his website, it's the set, models, wardrobe, and make-up that drive his images.

In most shots, it looks like he just used as much light as he needed to be able to see the shot...

Apr 15 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

My buddy Joey used to be LaChapelle's 9th (yes, ninth) assistant, and now works for Pochran studios doing all LaChapelle's touch-up.  The reason you only saw him using a pro-foto ring flash is because he only uses a pro-foto ringflash.  Joey has stories about spending 6 hours setting up lighting only to have David walk in, pop a polaroid, and say "turn these off, where's my ring?"
And if you've ever seen his untouched work... good hell.  Laziest shooter ever. 
But f*** it.  He's makin' bank.  If I had the name and could afford to shoot that sloppy and pay someone to make me look like god, I probably would, too.

Apr 15 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

anyone have this on tivo or on their hdd?

Apr 16 05 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

It will replay again....
Link

Apr 16 05 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

sadly, i do not get trio

Apr 16 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

I would like to get a DVD recorder for stuff like this but I have too much camera stuff to buy first. smile

Apr 16 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

which is why i have a video card in my camera w/ tv inputs and the ability to record on my hdd smile

Apr 16 05 04:36 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

damn I don't have that channel never even heard of it.
I love David's work and he does alot not just photography.
the man is just amazing.My favorite image of his is "addicted to diamonds".I think it's still on his website in the gallery section.
xxx
MP

Apr 25 05 09:41 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If you have a 2nd generation TIVO you can download it to a HD if you download the TIVO software. You can also playback music and pictures on your TV with the software.

I think many many many photographers work is touched up. So to make the comment that you should see his untouched work is not really a dig, it's a fact.

Apr 25 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Finally broke down and bought a DVD recorder. But I haven't seen the show on again since. LOL  Gonna go check the listings.

Apr 25 05 07:34 pm Link