Forums > Photography Talk > How many pics to MUA, Wardrobe stylist, etc.

Photographer

Michael Moon Photography

Corona, California, US

Hey all you knowledgeable MMers,

I've had a wardrobe stylist request a CD of all the pics from a shoot... it was a TFCD, but I'm a little hesitant to give the "crew" an entire CD of photos... I do it for the model, but... I dunno.. maybe I'm being overly cautious...

What do you guys/gals do?

Moon

Dec 13 05 05:10 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Hmmm..since it was a collaborative and TFCD shoot. Is it fair to give the model all the shots and not the others who were involved?

**Talk amongst yourselves:)*

Dec 13 05 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

These are things that should be agreed upon before the shoot.

But I don't understand the hesitation.  What is a stylist going to do with your photos that a model won't?

Dec 13 05 05:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I can understand hesitation if dealing with something new.

A stylist might actually be more ready to help you edit,  see the images in a new way and thus teach you to see the industry differently,  and also show the images to the designers.   For you are using their clothes are you not?

What rights does a designer have to images?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=13940

This was a strange thread but it can teach much.
What exactly is a "wardrobe stylist"
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=3811

And I think this discussion is relative to the topic.
Can model edit pictures?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=19635

And

when models edit photos
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=638

If you give to the model then I do not see why not give to the stylist.   But then why would  a clothing stylist need pics if you shot extra nudes or beauty shots.   The makeup artist would need those but what would someone like I need with them.   

So it does depend and if approached with logic then the answer will be easier to find.
But communication is key.   I did several spec shoots this summer but yet to have received access to using the images.   I thought a certain time frame was assumed for the season to print the shots are over.   We shot winter clothes.   

But problems do happen and I also did not make any specific agreement to the time frame of usage.   Much needs to change when I deal with certain people.   I also want in the future to allow the designers to have access to the images for promotional use.   As is stated in the thread listed,   I think they inherently have or at least deserve to have those rights.

If the photographer,  model,  makeup artist and stylist are using the images to promote themselves and sell their services,   then why should not the designer also.   As far as shoots that need a stylist being commercial or fashion then we are in this to make a profit as well as create art.

Communication is key above all.

If you say no extra access then fine.   The person on the other end just has the right to say no to that.   Neither side should be upset if that happens.   We all have choices to make every day.

But I shoot also and I am finding that letting the crew have access to more images helps me not hurts me.   Just retain your rights,  do not ever give out every SINGLE image,  do not give out RAW images except for extreme cases of need,   and you may find that the model,  stylist, or makeup artist may edit as well as you,  quicker than your schedual allows for,  or is able to see things in a new and exciting way.

Dec 13 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Dec 13 05 08:33 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Jack North wrote:

drawing a blank, eh?

*snicker* smile

Dec 13 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

IsabelAurora wrote:

drawing a blank, eh?

*snicker* smile

No, I wanted to say, if the mua is good and working TFP/CD, give them all they want. but I am biased, and want to keep good mua's happy.

Dec 13 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
Hmmm..since it was a collaborative and TFCD shoot. Is it fair to give the model all the shots and not the others who were involved?

**Talk amongst yourselves:)*

Chatter, chatter, chatter.  Uh... I agree with her!

Dec 13 05 09:26 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Art Schotz wrote:

Chatter, chatter, chatter.  Uh... I agree with her!

haha I was trying to mock that Jewish lady off SNL....did anyone get that?

Dec 13 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

IsabelAurora wrote:

haha I was trying to mock that Jewish lady off SNL....did anyone get that?

i got it

Dec 13 05 09:55 pm Link