Forums > Photography Talk > Shooting Interiors...any pointers?

Photographer

jen_fellows

Encinitas, California, US

I got a small gig shooting the newly remodeled interior of a house for a design firm.  It's December, and work is slow, so I'm happy to do it, even though I normally only shoot people.  Any pointers that you all can give me would be very appreciated!

Dec 13 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Have a wide angle and an ultra-wide.  Use a tripod to position the camera absolutely horizontal (use a level) fore-and-aft and side-to-side to keep parallel lines from converging.  If you're using a view camera, be prepared to Scheimpflug to avoid the convergence.

If there are windows and it's daylight, better meter them and balance with strobe, or alternatively shoot twice without moving the camera, once for window brightness and once for interior brightness then mask and make a composite in the darkroom or PS, balancing the two different light sources.

Max DOF means long exposures without strobe.  Interiors are lit with tungsten, so keep color in mind and select the film for the main lighting (tungsten) and filter for daylight color of the window lights if making two exposures (see above).

Alternatively, if you shoot at night, you only have to worry about the main lighting and can avoid the window problem, but don't get to use any landscaping. 

Small pocket strobes (I forget the brands, but the cheap little flash-triggered battery ones) can be used to accentuate details (potted plants, artworks) and can be hidden from the lens.  Those aren't usually adjustable so they have to be metered to work into the scheme of things.  They can be moved or filtered to increase or reduce their effects.

Interiors are a specialty and aren't particularly easy to do right.  Mixed lights, converging lines, critical colors.  Best of luck to you.

-Don

Dec 13 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Yeah I think Don got it all. Bring a tripod, watch your lines, and watch for mixed lighting.

Dec 13 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Fortson

Los Angeles, California, US

i assume you don't own a 4x5 camera, because that would be idea in this situation.  just bring lots of lights, make sure everything is lit well, and make sure everything is straight.

Dec 13 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I would not recommend using a 4x5 if you are used to one.   You will just struggle to learn and make it straight.   If anything rent a tilt lens for a 120 camera or 35 mm for the one tilt will be easier to use and learn.

But go with what you know.   Digital allows for great color correction today.   As stated just watch cross lighting or use it to your advantage.

Mainly if use different lighting with film or digital is what out for old type flouresant lighting.

And be prepared for a long shoot if trying to be even nearly perfect.   Practice at home with what you are going to use for equipment for time may be limited in a given space.   

Communicate with the person who you are dealing with.   Take a simple professional image of the space before hand if possible and ask the client what more they want out of the shot.
Get an interior magazine to see examples and also to ask the client what they want.

They may not mind it looking funky.  Not everyone wants an image a certain way.

Dec 13 05 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Marksora wrote:
If anything rent a tilt lens for a 120 camera or 35 mm for the one tilt will be easier to use and learn.

Gotta be a shift lens.  A tilt alone won't correct converging parallels, though it might be useful to get the foreground in focus. 

No, I don't recommend a view camera if the OP isn't familiar with one either.  Basically it's the same as any camera, but the actions, if unfamiliar, are bound to confuse.  The problem of converging parallels can be handled pretty well by keeping a non-movement camera rigorously level and raising or lowering it for the best viewpoint.

This would be a peachy job for a Hassy SW/C.

-Don

Dec 13 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

jen_fellows

Encinitas, California, US

Thank you all for the great tips!  I really appreciate it.  This will certainly be a learning experience, but that's what photography is all about, right? smile 

I am shooting digital, so I can white balance in camera and color correct if need be in post.  I am going to rent an ultra wide and use a level and tripod, as well.  Pocket strobes are a great idea.  Thanks again, wish me luck!

Dec 14 05 11:30 am Link