Forums > Photography Talk > web gallery

Photographer

Michael Nightmare

Costa Mesa, California, US

Is there an easy to use program to create and keep updated a web gallery for webpage? I currently just make thumb nail galleries but want something easier to manage and that is fast.

Apr 13 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Warn

Tustin, California, US

Photoshop

Apr 13 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Clayton Bruster

Hacienda Heights, California, US

Try ACDSee by ACD Systems.

Apr 13 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Marc17

Seattle, Washington, US

I use the photoshop web gallery function. I dump all the photos i want to display in several folders and just keep adding photos. When I want to update, I run the Web gallery automated task and it creates pages with thumbnails and the individual photos sized to what I want. I delete the old and put the new set on the server.

Apr 13 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Whitney

Loveland, Colorado, US

I-View Pro does really easy galleries.

Apr 13 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I coded my own system in ASP.NET (C#). It lets me just drop full-res images into a folder and it handles thumbnails, watermarking, referrer-detection, deep linking and resolution changes.

But I'm a developer first and a photographer second :-)

Apr 13 05 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Nightmare

christopher.. is that program going to be made public?

Apr 13 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Nightmare

oh and I did the photoshop one before but didnt care for the look of any of the galleries

Apr 13 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

JAlbum - Free - lots of options, wriiten entirely in Java and accepts CSS coding smile - jalbum.net

Apr 13 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Nightmare

Thank you sandy.

Apr 13 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

You're welcome man smile

Apr 13 05 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Nightmare Photography: 
christopher.. is that program going to be made public?

It's terribly hard-coded for my own stuff. But I've toyed with the idea of making the assembly available and configurable on my hosting provider.

In my copioius spare time, he said, sarcastically.

See http://www.amblerphoto.com/Portfolio/Attitudes/ to see it in action, if you're curious (that's one of my galleries). Everything is generated programatically from images and simple config files.

Apr 13 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Joi Carey

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Coppermine rocks!
Its free and you can customize it. It also has ecard options and comment fields..

Apr 13 05 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ian C. Ware

Sarasota, Florida, US

Another really great one is Breezebrowser or Breezebrowser Pro. Either one lets you customize the gallery templates that come with it, or make some of your own, also using meta-information from the images. Chris Breeze also has numerous templates available from his site for download, or other sites listed to his that have some as well. Really nice. I use it for quick galleries where Just want to get a few hundred images processed...FAST. For the ones on my main website http://www.iajephoto.com I use Photoshop and Imageready to code them myself.

ian

Apr 13 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Don Pedro

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Imagevuex is a gallery I like.
It's flash so no worries about people downloading.
Check the sample gallery below.

imageVue is an online gallery for viewing images in a good-looking,
yet functional layout. It is easy to setup - and to update your
gallery with new images , you only have to upload them to your server.
Everything else is automatic...

Sample Gallery

Cheers,
Don Pedro

ref: Imagevuex.com

Apr 13 05 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

I say photoshop. You can also edit the pages to your liking.

Chris, sounds like your program is a lot like what we have for updating the members areas of my sites. I just dump thousands of photos and the MySQL and PHP take care of the rest of it. I just always need to remember to dump the right girl into the right section of the DB... LOL

May 10 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Chris Ambler: 
It's terribly hard-coded for my own stuff. But I've toyed with the idea of making the assembly available and configurable on my hosting provider.

My whole site was designed and programmed by me too. Designed it in Photoshop. Laid it out in Dreamweaver. VBScript, CSS, HTML, .ASP, Flash, JavaScript and an Access database. All hand-coded - none of that Dreamweaver WYSIWYG crap. Custom-built by yours-truly from the ground up (after "borrowing" as many good ideas as I could find from dozens of other photography sites). Every image in my portfolio pulls from the database and the thumbnails can be reorganized based on year, models name, or genre of photography. I rule!

Geekdom rules. www.EricMuss-Barnes.com

May 11 05 02:19 am Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

If you are on a Mac you could use iPhoto and Rapid Weaver together. 
( http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver )

Here is a blurb on it:

RapidWeaver has been built with your iLife in mind. It integrates seamlessly with iPhoto to create awesome photo albums. You can even publish or update your website to .mac with the click of a button. Don't worry if you don't have a .mac account as RapidWeaver can publish your site locally or to a web server via FTP.

OR you can use TextPattern (quite popular among photographers, FREE - http://www.textpattern.com).  All you need is a host with PHP and mySQL.  And learn CSS.  Or if you are on a Mac, CSS Edit is a great program.  I haven't found PC version equivalent to it yet.  You use your web browser to update it.

May 12 05 02:00 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Gallery and Coppermine are free and work good. I'm working on my own CMS/gallery running off PHP/mySQL, but I'll be damned if I give that one away for free (it's how I afford all my toys!!).

Hrm come to think of it that would be kinda cool. Will program for models . . .

May 12 05 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Nightmare Photo: 
Is there an easy to use program to create and keep updated a web gallery for webpage?

If your hosting service has MySQL databases and PHP in their package, you can use coppermine. It took me about a day to set up but once it was in place you can web-manage it. All my image uploads and stuff are done from a browser and it automatically makes thumbnails and all that stuff.

See http://www.ranum.com/gallery for an example. Also http://www.lithiumpicnic.com

mjr.

May 12 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Posted by agonybliss: 
Coppermine rocks!
Its free and you can customize it. It also has ecard options and comment fields..

Yeah, what she said!!!
There's another, "Gallery", that's pretty cool, too!!

May 12 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Clay Bruster: 
Try ACDSee by ACD Systems.

Try it you will like it!!!

May 12 05 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Ian C. Ware: 
Another really great one is Breezebrowser or Breezebrowser Pro.

I second that.  Breezebrowser Pro is a breeze!

May 12 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

The only problem with using CMS (Content Management Systems) like Coppermine, Comdevweb, PhpNuke, Albinator, phpGallery, etc. etc. is that unless you know some code you cannot get TOO creative with it in the way of design layout.  Each one will be unique in the way the code is structured and you may or may not be able to play with it and push the limits of creativity based on that.

Sometimes "creative" websites speak of the unique personality of the individual.  Sometimes others are just generic.  Depends on what you want.

May 12 05 06:46 pm Link