Forums > Photography Talk > Being Pigeon Holed

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

This may just end up being more of a rant than anything else.  I just had a model tell me my work is dynamite but because there are "quite a bit of nudes" in my port she is not interested in working with me.  Now maybe it's me, but my port encompasses quite a bit more than nudes.  Why is there a feeling that because there is risque work in your port, the that must be all do?

Darque

Dec 18 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

You have to respect her feelings on this. I would assume she sees a bunch of nudes and does not to take a chance on being asked to pose nude once she is there. there a re a million models out there, just move on from this one and shoot with another. You can't be upset with someone because of there opinion or how they feel about shooting with someone who shoots nudes.

Dec 18 05 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm not upset about being turned down, it's part of the business.  I'm just trying understand the whole pigeon holing concept.

Darque

Dec 18 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Darque wrote:
I'm just trying understand the whole pigeon holing concept.

What is so difficult about understanding when people view your work they can make a reasonable determination of expectation?  That is what a portfolio does, it showcases capabilities and the expectations one has upon making a decision to work with you.

Dec 18 05 10:22 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

stevens hawkings could figure out the thought process of women...they do and say things which would baffle most, and sometimes do weird shit just because they are bored.

women...cant live with them, and they cant pee standing up.

Dec 18 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Darque wrote:
This may just end up being more of a rant than anything else.  I just had a model tell me my work is dynamite but because there are "quite a bit of nudes" in my port she is not interested in working with me.  Now maybe it's me, but my port encompasses quite a bit more than nudes.  Why is there a feeling that because there is risque work in your port, the that must be all do?

Darque

I do not present nudes for exactly this reason.  I do not seek nudes - they arrive at my door based on the other shots I do present.  I have had models not wish to shoot with me because they seek different shots than mine - This is Ok with me as I select models in the same manner.

Dec 18 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

And I show only nudes for this reason.  I show what I'm shooting and what I want to shoot.  There's no confusion or any reason to explain that what you really want is something else.

Pitch what you want to shoot or expect confusion followed by explanations followed by rejection.

-Don

Dec 18 05 03:15 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

It really depends on how you aproched her as a model.
If you aproched me with the same portfolio and asked to shoot with no details I'd expect to be shot nude or lingerie or bondage.
If you asked for fashion shoot that is what I'd expect, a fashion shoot.

If you don't want to be put into one catigory then shoot a broader focus of models and outfits.

I love your cards idea.

Dec 18 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

Darque wrote:
I'm not upset about being turned down, it's part of the business.  I'm just trying understand the whole pigeon holing concept.

Darque

I have had the same problem.  I suspect that by avoiding us the model avoids the possibility of entering a potential nude environment.  If she soesn't even enter it she doesn't have to position herself to turn it down or worry about rejecting heavy pressure.

Just wondering.  Have you ever asked them?

Dec 18 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

She never had any intentions of shooting with you, she was just giving you a warm, fuzzy compliment. I wouldn't waste time wondering why she pigoenholed you... it's pointless. She may have been smoking crack while she told you that for all we know.

Dec 18 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

who talked to who first you or her...   I dont see a lot of nudes in your port...

Why I ask the first question is important to know b/c it sets the tone for the whole conversation and what you may want and what she is looking for for her port..

Dec 18 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Man do not worry - there are plenty of models..... go get another..

Or do what I do - split up your topless and or nude work into another portfolio and wait for the model to ask if you do that type of work..

This is one drawback to online portfolios... usually all or nothign..

I still post little or no nude images in my profile - the models know I do that work if asked - I do not need to show it all over the world unless you are paying to see it..

Plus by doing that most models feel more comfortable that their images are not going to be posted that day of the shoot for the world to see...

Dec 18 05 11:26 pm Link