Forums > General Industry > do you make this kind of money?

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

look at the bottom of the article under annual income!

multiply pound by 1.75 to get USD

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/hel … rofile514/

Feb 07 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

You mean to tell me that models make $$$$?!  I thought this was all just for fun and a great experience!  So, by contacting them, I can make more by working 3 days per week than I do at my full-time job now?  Is this for real?

Feb 07 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

KatieK wrote:
You mean to tell me that models make $$$$?!  I thought this was all just for fun and a great experience!  So, by contacting them, I can make more by working 3 days per week than I do at my full-time job now?  Is this for real?

Katie, don't fall for it.  Models never get paid.  It's just a big scam.  Modeling is basically glamourous volunteer work.  smile

Feb 07 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Katie's was pure 'tongue in cheek'
I have got to find what photographers make who refuse TFP requests.

Feb 07 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

David Scott wrote:

Katie, don't fall for it.  Models never get paid.  It's just a big scam.  Modeling is basically glamourous volunteer work.  smile

Phew!  Thank goodness!  For a second I thought I was in the wrong line of work.  tongue  FWIW, I don't expect to make that kind of money modeling.  I just like meeting all the new people, playing dress up, and being a ham for awhile.

Feb 07 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Since you young ladies make that kind of money I will have to raise my rates!

And, charge you for being late!
My last nmodel showed up two hours late yesterday!
Guess who is not getting another  call!

Feb 07 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

PhilAntony

London, England, United Kingdom

Apparently according to the site, assistant photographers make p/a £8-10,000 ($14-17,500), and established full time photographers £15-30,000 ($26-52,500).

Feb 07 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

PhilAntony wrote:
Apparently according to the site, assistant photographers make p/a £8-10,000 ($14-17,500), and established full time photographers £15-30,000 ($26-52,500).

i trying i triyng lol no one will hier me AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Feb 07 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

Hi, I will let you in on what the pro people in this industry are making in the Miami Market.

I typically work with catalog models that make $2,000.00 per day. Some 17 years old.

One beginning model I work with made $35,000.00 last year working part time on weekends only. We put together their portfolio and comp.

We pay experienced 1st photo assistances $200 to $250 per day. 2nd Photo assistances $175.00 per day, digital tech assistances $400.00 per day. Makeup artist start at $350 and up per day.

We do not hire models or assistances that have not tested with us, we have to know if they are truly professional. This is our livelihood. Only exceptions are models hired directly by the client or art director, and then they are responsible.

What do photographers charge? Assignments at charged by usage and production cost.

Check out this book to know the pricing standards for beginning and experienced pro photographers.

Pricing Photography:
The Complete Guide to Assignment and Stock Prices
by   Michal Heron and David Mac Tavish

Good luck to you all.

Feb 07 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Location, context, currency exchange not to mention that you can post whatever you want on a website.... But what their site is really saying is "models earn $10,892 USD a year" (take the two paragraphs regarding pay, what MOST models (not A SINGLE model COULD) make and the agency fee)

For more relatable (and reliable) data visit the CENSUS or BLS:

And there isn't much for models bc apparently it doesn't pay enough to be considered a job!
"Demonstrators and product promoters had median hourly earnings of $9.95 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $8.18 and $13.29. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $7.25, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $20.08. Employers of demonstrators, product promoters, and models generally pay for job-related travel expenses.

Median hourly earnings of models were $10.50 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $8.44 and $14.34. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $7.16, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $17.17. Earnings vary for different types of modeling, and depend on the experience and reputation of the model. Female models typically earn more than male models for similar work. Hourly earnings can be relatively high, particularly for supermodels and others in high demand, but models may not have work every day, and jobs may last only a few hours. Models occasionally receive clothing or clothing discounts instead of, or in addition to, regular earnings. Almost all models work with agents, and pay 15 to 20 percent of their earnings in return for an agent�s services. Models who do not find immediate work may receive payments, called advances, from agents to cover promotional and living expenses. Models must provide their own health and retirement benefits."

And for photographers:
"Median annual earnings of salaried photographers were $24,040
in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $17,740 and
$34,910. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $14,640, and
the highest 10 percent earned more than $49,920. Median annual
earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers
of salaried photographers were $31,460 for newspapers and periodicals
and $21,860 for other professional or scientific services.
Salaried photographers—more of whom work full time—tend
to earn more than those who are self-employed. Because most
freelance and portrait photographers purchase their own equipment,
they incur considerable expense acquiring and maintaining
cameras and accessories. Unlike news and commercial photographers,
few fine arts photographers are successful enough to
support themselves solely through their art."

But I've posted this information before...also for stylists, etc maybe it can be searched for wink

Feb 07 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Eugene,
thanks for the tip on the book. I found out that I was underpricing myself.
One gets afraid to quote too high a rate and lose a customer. Then as I  get  better I realize that I can demand more.

But, I get the familiar story - that other guy says he will do it cheap.  Well may ad says "professional prhotographer professional results" and I no longer price myself with amateur prices.

Feb 07 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Sara, you are going to make me go back to my old job and sit a a cubicle all day but make 3 times the money a photographer makes.
But cubicle land is SO BORING and DEAD!

Feb 07 06 08:46 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Sara, you are going to make me go back to my old job and sit a a cubicle all day but make 3 times the money a photographer makes.
But cubicle land is SO BORING and DEAD!

LOL I know exactly how you feel! Believe it or not I was once an accountant (ok so I still do family & friends' taxes and non-profits) but I may be headed back - I start law school this fall! Fortunately I'll be able to continue modeling big_smile

Feb 07 06 09:07 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

You mean we get paid for this? LOL!

Ah, modeling is mostly a hobby for me right now. I love to travel, and love playing dress up. I can be whoever/whatever I want on camera...ok, well as long as that person/thing is pretty darn big, as I am plus size...but I like my curves...Maybe I should do a "scenery shot"...fine art photographers will know what I'm talking about.

It sucks about your model showing up two hours late. I hope she had a great explanation for it, like getting completely lost, or getting amnesia or something. I have only been late once in 6 years. Punctuality is all part of the game in my book.

Feb 07 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Data collected by the CENSUS or BLS: takes in account all photographers, scientific photographers, newspaper photographers, photographers taking baby photos in Sears, Wal-Mart Portrait Stores, etc. Also many who are claiming to be professionals and are truly not. This data is not as reliable as one may think. I know I was a census taker in 1970, a lot of people lie on the Census for many reasons.

Here are some recent examples I have seen:
Church photographers for PCA base salary $35,000 per year.
I saw an ad for an experienced salaried photographer for an intuition, starting base salary was over $48,000 per year.
Director of photography in D.C. salaried, starting salary $70,000.

Your better stock photographers make over $ 100,000 per year I know many personally.

Check it out these jobs exists, but it’s not easy to get them, I remember back in the day that I would go to a job interview with my portfolio and there would be typically 200 other applicants. Sometimes I would get the job and sometimes I would come in 2nd or 3rd.

What I am talking about here is media photography: advertising, corporate, fashion, product etc. this is in a class all by it’s self. You have to be in the business many years and write the checks to really know what the real cost are. The problem in the industry today is that many photographers sell themselves short and undercharge, it’s all about CODB the real ‘cost of doing business’. What one really needs to do is join the professional trade organizations, meet and network with the established pros, go shooting with them and then you will learn what everyone in this media industry makes. I know that there are many want to be’s out there, it’s because they don’t know the business and how to market themselves.

Check APA’s website for their survey of professional photography cost. It’s more accurate for this section of the business. Although old data 1999 but they tell you what factor to multiple for today.

Call any of the top model agencies in Miami and ask what do their best catalog models get per day, you may be surprised.

The bottom line is it’s good to be in the top ten percent, it's knowing how to get there.

Feb 07 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

One of my friends made over $100k last year! smile

And a not so close friend bills $10k a day. smile

Feb 07 06 09:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

ACPS Inc Eugene Breaux wrote:
Hi, I will let you in on what the pro people in this industry are making in the Miami Market.

I typically work with catalog models that make $2,000.00 per day. Some 17 years old.

One beginning model I work with made $35,000.00 last year working part time on weekends only. We put together their portfolio and comp.

We pay experienced 1st photo assistances $200 to $250 per day. 2nd Photo assistances $175.00 per day, digital tech assistances $400.00 per day. Makeup artist start at $350 and up per day.

We do not hire models or assistances that have not tested with us, we have to know if they are truly professional. This is our livelihood. Only exceptions are models hired directly by the client or art director, and then they are responsible.

What do photographers charge? Assignments at charged by usage and production cost.

Check out this book to know the pricing standards for beginning and experienced pro photographers.

Pricing Photography:
The Complete Guide to Assignment and Stock Prices
by   Michal Heron and David Mac Tavish

Good luck to you all.

sorry, I didnt read the whole thread but $350.00 a day for a real makeup artist.....Are you kidding me?   In Southern Ca.  try $650.00 to $1200.00 a day.

Feb 07 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I've only shot one model who made it into the big time.  I shot her when she was 15.  By the time she was old enough to drink, she was making well into the six figures (twice my salery as an electrical engineer).  And if that weren't enough, she was working only about seven months out of the year.

She was with LA Models, but may have since retired.  I shot her 12 years ago.  Her mom had to pay for the prints on the installment plan.  All $87 of it.  I still have the note she included with the first check.

She was a gorgeous kid, but the fact is, I had no clue she would be as successful as she was.  It was Huntsville, Alabama, after all.  Of course, she was willing to move.  First to Atlanta, then to L.A.

-Dave

Feb 07 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

sorry, I didnt read the whole thread but $350.00 a day for a real makeup artist.....Are you kidding me?   In Southern Ca.  try $650.00 to $1200.00 a day.

I said start at and up :-)

Feb 07 06 10:43 pm Link