Forums > General Industry > Not sure what to charge....HELPPP

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Ok I have my rates for model ports and family portraits and weddings I do and so forth.

Today I was asked to photograph a local fashion show/benefit event.
Would be 10-15 models total on the runway part of the show and then take pictures of the event afterwards.

Not really sure what I should charge on an event like this. Don't want to underprice or overprice.

HELPPPPPP lol

Feb 08 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

sorry pressed submit twice a mod can delete the duplicate post...thanks

Feb 08 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Touscany Photography

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Ask them what their budget is?  What have they paid a photographer in the past?  See if you can get them to show you 'their cards' first.  They may expect to pay more than you first thought.  On the other hand, if they tell you and it's less than you would want, then the 'ball's in your court'.   You have the upper hand in the negotiation and can be a 'Great Guy' and do it for their price or a little bit more and negotiate in some other perks, whatever you may percieve those perks to be.  Everything is negotiable!  Good Luck.  JT

Feb 08 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

thanks JT smile

Feb 08 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

Feb 08 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Appleton

London, England, United Kingdom

Feb 08 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Appleton

London, England, United Kingdom

dncphotos wrote:
Today I was asked to photograph a local fashion show/benefit event.

Hi There,

I think the key word here is benefit. It could well be that they expect you to donate your time and I'm not trying to be an alarmist, just a realist when I say that. I speak from experience and the same thing has happened to me in the past. However, my take on it was that it's nice to be important - but important to be nice. So I did it as a freebie.

However, I also got a list of the people who were showing their fashions at the event then spoke to them prior the event and asked them what kind of shots or outfits "they" wanted shot. It turned out that I ended up working for several clients on the night and probably made more money than if I had charged the benefit people. As JT says, "everything is negotiable."

Let us all know how it goes.

Ken

Feb 08 06 10:40 pm Link