Forums > General Industry > Why do so called pro's

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Why do so called professional photographers seem to have the need to make sport of anyone without such a designation?

I don't walk into a group of CPA's and point out the accountant as a CPA wannabe,

or walk into a group of Realtors and point to the casual real estate  investor as a Realtor wanabee,

so why do I see so many slamming post by those who do absolutley nothing to edify the art as a whole?

What are they afraid of?

Feb 16 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

If it needs to be explained... I fear you just would not understand.

I'm certain if your "accountant" walked into a CPA convention and began spouting how this and that SHOULD be done, they would indeed be called 'a CPA wannabe'... or worse.

Feb 16 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

markcomp wrote:
What are they afraid of?

They are GWCs with a bigger paycheck.  They don't like unpaid GWC's taking their work. 

PS this is a joke but I'm sure I'll get flamed anyway...

Feb 16 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

My personal opinion is that there are two answers -

a. They think they're actually doing people a favor, but suffer from being tact-challenged..
b. There are those who get really good at doing whatever style is currently all the rage, this, with a little money and little praise make for some really big arrogance.

Of course there's always good ol'fashioned jealousy.

In the end if your images make you smile, and bring a little satisaction into your life, you've done great work.

Feb 16 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

I'm certain if your "accountant" walked into a CPA convention and began spouting how this and that SHOULD be done, they would indeed be called 'a CPA wannabe'... or worse.

lol, Steven...

(I see you decided to go ahead and re-edit to try to explain anyways... heheh)

BTW, your work is awesome.  VERY nice!

- Denoy

Feb 16 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

I guess your one of the ones I'm talking about then.

Feb 16 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

markcomp wrote:
I don't walk into a group of CPA's and point out the accountant as a CPA wannabe,

Do you believe that CPA's do not look down on tax preparers?  Or do you think that Realtors are the same as Real Estate agents?  Do they all get valued and compensated the same?  To be honest I forget what all of the differences and similarities are, but I know there are conflicts and emotions in many professions and pursuits.

Feb 16 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

markcomp wrote:
I guess your one of the ones I'm talking about then.

Then in turn I ask...
"why do all the wannabee's refuse to learn and always want to talk about us?!!!!"

lol..... count to 10 then post witty reply at the sound of the beep.....
...... I did not say "beep" yet.........

Feb 16 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Do you believe that CPA's do not look down on tax preparers?  Or do you think that Realtors are the same as Real Estate agents?  To be honest I forget all of the differences, but I know there are conflicts and emotions in many professions and pursuits.

Sure, some do. But thats my point though to bring a real life situation into the mix, there are differences but the best thing that I could do for anyone is to help them reach their full potential not cut them off at the knees because I think they might take something from me.

Feb 16 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

I really want a wannabee pilot to fly my next flight.... oh please....!!!!!

Hey tell you what... we don't tell you guys how to get cheesy girls naked and take pictures of them in Fedora's covering their breasts... or wrapped in 'something'... for the sake of "art".... or how to hold there arms up at the beach while flipping their hair.... so in turn... don't act like you can all  do more for people than you actually can.

You are all very good at doing whatever it is you do at a certain level... and then talent needs to step up to the next level to progress.

If all the "so called pros" left here.... what would be left... and what would you learn?
........ "beep"!

Feb 16 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

markcomp wrote:
so why do I see so many slamming post by those who do absolutley nothing to edify the art as a whole?

Just for my own edification; what are the edification rules?

Feb 16 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

area291 wrote:
what are the edification rules?

I wint tu collej and never lernd bout no edification!

Feb 16 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

* accountant enters the forum*

I am an accountant, CPA eligible and a member for several years of state CPA society... In all of those meetings and interactions, there was never the activity to the extent it is on here ["so why do I see so many slamming post by those who do absolutley nothing to edify the art as a whole?"]. I believe this is for several reasons:
- it's a different industry
- the interactions were in their place of business (eg an office, with lots of really ugly furniture) not somewhat-anon posting on the internet
- most accountants have "bean counter" personalities... If you don't know what that means, it is the opposite of an auto sales man... very different from the creative personalities attracted to artistic pursuits

and I...well...just have balanced right and left brains tongue

Feb 16 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:

Sure, some do. But thats my point though to bring a real life situation into the mix, there are differences but the best thing that I could do for anyone is to help them reach their full potential not cut them off at the knees because I think they might take something from me.

Pros are pros for a reason...and it isn't just because of their camera skills...

You have at least two recognizable Pros responding to you on this thread.  Post carefuly and you may actually learn a thing or two...

Feb 16 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
I really want a wannabee pilot to fly my next flight.... oh please....!!!!!

Hey tell you what... we don't tell you guys how to get cheesy girls naked and take pictures of them in Fedora's covering their breasts... or wrapped in 'something'... for the sake of "art".... or how to hold there arms up at the beach while flipping their hair.... so in turn... don't act like you can all  do more for people than you actually can.

You are all very good at doing whatever it is you do at a certain level... and then talent needs to step up to the next level to progress.

If all the "so called pros" left here.... what would be left... and what would you learn?

You actually make my point for me.  We would learn nothing.  So why have the attitude?  Why not be glad to extend yourself instead of being so sarcasitc?
........ "beep"!

Feb 16 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

The pros that hassle the startups are jaded that's all...  They don't make the money nor get the creative fullfillment they  seek...  Just look at their work - not just one shot - like 5 years worth of stuff...  Is it the same thing? Just shot in different places? Complacency is something that affects alot of established artists unfortunately - at some point they just become automatic...  Good at what they do so they don't seek any creative risks...  So when they see someone that reminds them of what they once were - they lash out - not out of arrogance or disdain for the newbie - but out of disgust at themselves for becoming what they feared most - a creatively bankrupt, technically skilled gun for hire....

Feb 16 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

markcomp wrote:
Why do so called professional photographers seem to have the need to make sport of anyone without such a designation?
What are they afraid of?

I think it's because what they see on here are not a bunch of people interested in photography, but a bunch of guys interested in taking pictures of pretty girls.  To someone who takes their craft very seriously, it might seem like the vast majority of us are just using photography to meet girls.

Not me, though.  I got interested in photography before I hit puberty.

-Dave

Feb 16 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

markcomp wrote:
...the best thing that I could do for anyone is to help them reach their full potential not cut them off at the knees because I think they might take something from me.

I appreciate that this was a quick reply to my post, but do you really think that the 'best' thing you (or one) can do in photography is to help someone else take a better picture?  That more aptly describes a photography instructor or professor. Creating the image is the first order of business.  Growing, learning, advancing and connecting with the audience are the best things I can do in photography.  If I have the opportunity I can and have shared, but that isn't what I am paid to do or what gets me up in the morning.

It may not have been your intent, but the implication I got from both of your posts is that it the first responsibility of an accomplished photographer is to help other people regardless of intent or seriousness to take better pictures.  Many do, but first they create the images.  That has to be the first priority. 

Personally, 'edifying the art' doesn't even make the top 10 list.

Feb 16 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

area291 wrote:

Just for my own edification; what are the edification rules?

Personally, I would like to see a lot less God's gift to photography complex.

Feb 16 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

'Cause all the big bad male photographers are bumping chests to see who gets the prettiest models under the most favorable terms.

Just like a barnyard with three roosters.

Sigh...

It is kind of embarassing.

-Don

Feb 16 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
a creatively bankrupt, technically skilled gun for hire....

Bang bang,  Shoot shoot.  Happiness is...

Feb 16 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Money makes the world go round...thats how people judge one another...if you don't do it for money your not taken seriously. Thats how all Artists are officially accepted. If your image inspires people to let go of some cash to own it...then your an Artist...if not...you might as well be a kindergartener with crayons for all the recognition that your artistic effort will get you. Thats the nature of the Art business...just a fact...Now the slamming you mention...nothing but inflated ego...pure and simple...I personally know alot of amateur photoartists who's work rivals anything I have seen on MM and their some of the nicest people you would ever want as a friend...once the money enters the equation...it becomes a dog-eat-dog world...sometimes the competition is bitter.

Feb 16 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

I think it's because what they see on here are not a bunch of people interested in photography, but a bunch of guys interested in taking pictures of pretty girls.  To someone who takes their craft very seriously, it might seem like the vast majority of us are just using photography to meet girls.

-Dave

lol.  I think this hits the nail on he head.

Feb 16 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Dan Howell wrote:

I appreciate that this was a quick reply to my post, but do you really think that the 'best' thing you (or one) can do in photography is to help someone else take a better picture?  That more aptly describes a photography instructor or professor. Creating the image is the first order of business.  Growing, learning, advancing and connecting with the audience are the best things I can do in photography.  If I have the opportunity I can and have shared, but that isn't what I am paid to do or what gets me up in the morning.

It may not have been your intent, but the implication I got from both of your posts is that it the first responsibility of an accomplished photographer is to help other people regardless of intent or seriousness to take better pictures.  Many do, but first they create the images.  That has to be the first priority. 

Personally, 'edifying the art' doesn't even make the top 10 list.

I understand your point but what I was really saying was that in all the time I have been on MM I have seen some major slamming and in many cases it seemed to be for no apparent reason. 
An no, I think the first priority for anyone  in whatever path they choose is to first fulfill themselves. 
While I don't think it is the "job" of the better to "train" the lessor without compensation, neither do I think it is in anyone's best interest to bash without cause.

Feb 16 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

You just do not get it, Do You.  If I wanted to be an accountant
I would have been one, but then again how many accountants do you
know that work wearing 70lbs of body armor?  I am a pro and I work
like a pro and God help the amatures that get in my way.....

P.S. The stuff I have posted on MM is just sport not what I would
call work.

Feb 16 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

-Dave

As did I. It just was not my chosen profession.  MM is dedicated to models but if you look at my OMP site you will see mostly nature and landscapes.  So am I a creep because I like to photograph pretty woman?
I would say it puts me in the same category of most photographers.

Feb 16 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

In my business, journalism, when somebody is working really hard to get better and is open to the possibility that he/she doesn't know everything, the old pros are more than willing to help out.

But when an upstart comes in and starts explaining how things need to be, why his two months on the job are so important and that his lack of knowledge about the names of streets in the are merely proves his lack of bias... Believe me, that smartass is given the opportunity to fail.

How many times have you seen somebody on the Web approach people the right way and get reamed? I don't see it very often. The only time I see it is when somebody's an instant expert after having read a few forum posts.

A person giving truly bad advice to others who know even less needs to be shut up and put in his place before he does real damage. So, the pros are pretty unforgiving. Sometimes a good spanking is the right thing to do.

Generally, polite behavior breeds polite behavior. Arrogance isn't really polite, so it isn't treated too well.

Feb 16 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Solomage wrote:
Money makes the world go round...thats how people judge one another...if you don't do it for money your not taken seriously. Thats how all Artists are officially accepted. If your image inspires people to let go of some cash to own it...then your an Artist...if not...you might as well be a kindergartener with crayons for all the recognition that your artistic effort will get you. Thats the nature of the Art business...just a fact...Now the slamming you mention...nothing but inflated ego...pure and simple...I personally know alot of amateur photoartists who's work rivals anything I have seen on MM and their some of the nicest people you would ever want as a friend...once the money enters the equation...it becomes a dog-eat-dog world...sometimes the competition is bitter.

Considering that many of the artist in years gone by died penniless while searching for their art, I consider that a sad state of affairs.
Not that one shouldn't make their living by their passions but maybe its not their passion.  Maybe they are just good at it.

Feb 16 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
Sometimes a good spanking is the right thing to do.

Gawd, you're such a fetish photographer!

Feb 16 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

Then in turn I ask...
"why do all the wannabee's refuse to learn and always want to talk about us?!!!!"

lol..... count to 10 then post witty reply at the sound of the beep.....

See, again with the sarcasm.  If I were a young man with no family to raise I could have possibly very easily sat at your feet.
...... I did not say "beep" yet.........

Model

jon horsethief

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

jesus h christ.
so, how old were, you, exactly, when you lost track of the fact that yes, Virginia, even your shit stinks too?

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:

Pros are pros for a reason...and it isn't just because of their camera skills...

You have at least two recognizable Pros responding to you on this thread.  Post carefuly and you may actually learn a thing or two...

I haven't attempted to insult anyone yet.  I have only reesponded to sarcasm.

Feb 16 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

DBN my big bad chest hurts from all the thumping... what do you suggest?

Feb 16 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
The pros that hassle the startups are jaded that's all...  They don't make the money nor get the creative fullfillment they  seek...  Just look at their work - not just one shot - like 5 years worth of stuff...  Is it the same thing? Just shot in different places? Complacency is something that affects alot of established artists unfortunately - at some point they just become automatic...  Good at what they do so they don't seek any creative risks...  So when they see someone that reminds them of what they once were - they lash out - not out of arrogance or disdain for the newbie - but out of disgust at themselves for becoming what they feared most - a creatively bankrupt, technically skilled gun for hire....

I sincerely wonder how much of that is the case.

Feb 16 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

BCADULTART wrote:
You just do not get it, Do You.  If I wanted to be an accountant
I would have been one, but then again how many accountants do you
know that work wearing 70lbs of body armor?  I am a pro and I work
like a pro and God help the amatures that get in my way.....

P.S. The stuff I have posted on MM is just sport not what I would
call work.

Honestly my kevlar is pretty light.

Feb 16 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

SKPhoto wrote:
My personal opinion is that there are two answers -

a. They think they're actually doing people a favor

Feb 16 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:
Considering that many of the artist in years gone by died penniless while searching for their art, I consider that a sad state of affairs.
Not that one shouldn't make their living by their passions but maybe its not their passion.  Maybe they are just good at it.

Are you equating professional photographers with artists?  Therein lies your mistake.

Feb 16 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

jon horsethief wrote:
jesus h christ.
so, how old were, you, exactly, when you lost track of the fact that yes, Virginia, even your shit stinks too?

I'm not sure what that means.

Feb 16 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

markcomp wrote:

I haven't attempted to insult anyone yet.  I have only reesponded to sarcasm.

Are you seeking an answer to the question posted by this thread?   Or otherwise.

Feb 16 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Jack D Trute wrote:

Are you seeking an answer to the question posted by this thread?   Or otherwise.

I always say "if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question".

Feb 16 06 10:12 pm Link