Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Our ports at risk?

Photographer

Keith Carey Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Is anybody else out there a little freaked out about a UAE (United Arab Emirates) company taking over the so-called security of six of our major sea ports????

Can someone explain this to me?

Feb 21 06 03:34 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

i am scared

Feb 21 06 03:37 am Link

Model

Sassy Bliss

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh my, I can't belive it. Holy crap.

Feb 21 06 03:52 am Link

Model

AmieS

Dallas, Texas, US

I diddnt see this on the news do you have a link to more info please....My husband just got back from Iraq and this really scares me for the safty of our country!

Feb 21 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Keith Carey Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

One of my best sources of news that you wont find on the major channels is the web site http://drudgereport.com/ (always the first to get the real news) plus foxnews.com and msnbc.com will run this story. Democrats and Republicans are both upside down about this decision. Hopefully, the prez will change his decision in the next couple of days but it really f*ckin' pisses me off that we even have to think about this stupid-ass subject.

Feb 21 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Adler Photographic

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Some additional information. The ports in question were run by a British company that has been bought by the UAE government, who is our stong ally in the war against terrorism, who also owns Al-Jazeera, who has published reports that we (US) as a nation has been  insensitive to the Arabic/Muslim world. Let the editorial cartoons begin.

Feb 21 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

suprised??? are you kidding our president bush is the man! i mean he let the entire binladin family fly out of texas when every flyt in the usa was grounded. The bush family is very tight with the arabs. in fact if you want to know the truth, the bush family's 5 last companies have been sponsored or money supplied by arabs. bush is the Anti-christ every stupid thing he does he says it is done for the greater good and for god. It totally amazes me that people in this world are so stupid. just like when he does a speech, hello it is not him talking, it is some kid who wrote his speech for him. And in a final note, if there is no fear (keeping everyone afraid) how elese do you think the powers to be could keep 8 billion people in line???? imagine if no one feared anything? the world would be turned upside down.

Robert

Ps When is the last time someone knocked on your door to do a census of how many people live in your house??????? so many little things no one notices and we wonder why the end is so near.

Feb 21 06 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Did you know that the United Arab Emirates was British until 1971?

Whatever happened to judging compaines by the content of their character?

Feb 21 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I think it's a bad idea to have a foreign country own parts of our infrastructure. Just sayin'...

Feb 21 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
I think it's a bad idea to have a foreign country own parts of our infrastructure. Just sayin'...

Just a point of clarification: the ports are coming under the control of an United Arab Emirate company, not the UAE government, so, technically, a foreign country will not be owning part of our infrastructure.

That being said, it amazes me how much of our industrial and commerical base is owned partly or wholly by foreign companies or investors.

Feb 21 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

united arab emirates.

Feb 21 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

jac3950 wrote:

Just a point of clarification: the ports are coming under the control of an United Arab Emirate company, not the UAE government, so, technically, a foreign country will not be owning part of our infrastructure.

That being said, it amazes me how much of our industrial and commerical base is owned partly or wholly by foreign companies or investors.

Oops... that's true, and I knew that. Do'h! However, I don't think it's a good idea for foreign companies or corporations to own parts of our infrastructure either. I got a bad feeling about this...

Feb 21 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I think that went out the window when the government started constantly scaring the sh*t out of everyone in order to advance their policies.

Not that I care...I'm so completely jaded that all I can do is laugh anymore.

Feb 21 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

The secrecy surrounding this bothers me as well. I truly do not trust this administration; they have too much to hide.

-P-

Feb 21 06 08:53 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Yeah I heard that on the radio this morning, it pisses me off that the government would allow something like that to happen! But then again look who is running to government...enough said! https://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/1106.gif

Feb 21 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Pat Thielen wrote:

Oops... that's true, and I knew that. Do'h! However, I don't think it's a good idea for foreign companies or corporations to own parts of our infrastructure either. I got a bad feeling about this...

hmm.... and how many ports are controlled by the US and US based companies?

Feb 21 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

c s e

Los Angeles, California, US

oh, thank god.  i thought our portfolios were at risk.

Feb 21 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

craig wrote:

Financial yes, photos no.... smile

Feb 21 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:

Financial yes, photos no.... smile

best reply i have seen

Feb 21 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Maybe it will be the same as the gas prices now...but this time it will be port fees...Thats good business, come on does it matter who owns it? Nobody is going to blow up there own money makeing business, except someone else that has a point to make...Think about it...Money!!!!Money!!!!Money and a global economy its all about money...

Feb 21 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
Maybe it will be the same as the gas prices now...but this time it will be port fees...Thats good business, come on does it matter who owns it? Nobody is going to blow up there own money makeing business, except someone else that has a point to make...Think about it...Money!!!!Money!!!!Money and a global economy its all about money...

Let's see, we're going to have a country that's known for smuggling and money laundering guard our ports.  Seems about par for this administration.

Feb 21 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Did you know that the United Arab Emirates was British until 1971?

Did you mean countries? Even if not, it should apply here also. I understand they 'UAE' were one of the few countries to recognize the Taliban as the rightful government of Afghanistan. Either way, it deserves all the focus and debate that's going to happen.

Feb 21 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Merle wrote:
Did you mean countries? Even if not, it should apply here also. I understand they 'UAE' were one of the few countries to recognize the Taliban as the rightful government of Afghanistan. Either way, it deserves all the focus and debate that's going to happen.

No, I meant "companies".  It's not the UAE that has been hired.  It's a company based in the UAE.

That's like saying that since there are McDonalds locations in Saudi Arabia, America is evil.  I wonder who has that sort of mentality....

Feb 21 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Oh, I was worried.
I thought you meant our portfolios.

Feb 21 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
No, I meant "companies".  It's not the UAE that has been hired.  It's a company based in the UAE.

That's like saying that since there are McDonalds locations in Saudi Arabia, America is evil.  I wonder who has that sort of mentality....

It's a state-owned & operated company.
Private corporate ownership doesn't really exist in the UAE.

Feb 21 06 02:19 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

WestWoodStudios wrote:
suprised??? are you kidding our president bush is the man! i mean he let the entire binladin family fly out of texas when every flyt in the usa was grounded. The bush family is very tight with the arabs. in fact if you want to know the truth, the bush family's 5 last companies have been sponsored or money supplied by arabs. bush is the Anti-christ every stupid thing he does he says it is done for the greater good and for god. It totally amazes me that people in this world are so stupid. just like when he does a speech, hello it is not him talking, it is some kid who wrote his speech for him. And in a final note, if there is no fear (keeping everyone afraid) how elese do you think the powers to be could keep 8 billion people in line???? imagine if no one feared anything? the world would be turned upside down.

Robert

Ps When is the last time someone knocked on your door to do a census of how many people live in your house??????? so many little things no one notices and we wonder why the end is so near.

*gasps*

Did you know Bush claimed that he didn't know about this until Congress rejected the bill? haha

Feb 21 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

I guess Haliburton couldn't handle the job .... being busy running Iraq and all.

Feb 21 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
I guess Haliburton couldn't handle the job .... being busy running Iraq and all.

lmao

honestly, though, is this admisitration now just handing out the crack freely in the halls of the white house? and the dept of homeland security--they're clearly crack whores too since they were part of the oversight team who approved this. michael chertoff seems to be stupified that american citizens are uneasy about a state owned corporation in the UAE is going to be involved in safegurading american ports. the same ports that are about as safe and secure as a crate of m-80s in a butane lighter factory.

brian, i'm all for not judging a book by it's cover and making assumptions about people and motives, but considering a huge amount of funding for the groups who have been involved in terrorist acts against the US--including 911--came through UAE banks--AND the UAE was less than cooperative in assisting investigators following the money trail, this is not a smart move. not even close.

since i live two blocks from the hudson river, i'll just give a yell to y'all if i see anything fishy coming upstream...

Feb 21 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

There's a difference between a state owned company and the government of the state.  The company that is state owned does the will of the state.  A company that is not state owned answers to its shareholders.

Feb 21 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

craig wrote:

Dude, that's too damn funny...when I saw the tag line I thought the same thing ..lol

Feb 21 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Albie Bruno

DELAND, Florida, US

Congress will never let it happen....Our President is a moron for even considering it, let alone offer it out.....

Feb 21 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Well. aren't we evil for introducing McDonalds to the world???? I understand the country wasn't hired, but many companies are certainly influenced, if not out right controlled by the country which is their home.  Many here claim that even in this country government (or visa versa) owns the oil companies. I just guess I woudn't want an Arab owned company owning our port security any more than I'd want a North Korean, Russain, or French owned and or located company gaurding our nuclear arsenal.  It just seems worth a good investigation.

Feb 21 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

READ a newspaper. If this is your only source of international news.. that's really sad.

Feb 21 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Sorry for this double post, but it IS a state owned company, so in essence UAE will own NY port security. If they screw up, I say we take their oil. Below is a quote from the NY Times...

WASHINGTON, Feb. 21 — President Bush said this afternoon that he would veto any legislation seeking to block the administration's decision to allow a state-owned company from Dubai to assume control of port terminals in New York and other cities.

Feb 21 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

"I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would take an airplane and slam it into the World Trade Center, take another one and slam it into the Pentagon; that they would try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile."

Feb 21 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Thanks for the correction on the state-run point.

Here's an article about this situation:

http://news.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=us/1 … html&cid=0

Feb 21 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

So would it freak anyone else out less if it was a British, French or German company with middle eastern employees?

Secrets? We now need our Government to tell us who owns what when it is a matter of public record if you want to find out?

If the government didn't let it happen, raise your hand if you'd scream "racial profiling bigots"!

Just sayin.

Feb 21 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Merle wrote:
I just guess I woudn't want an Arab owned company owning our port security any more than I'd want a North Korean, Russain, or French owned and or located company gaurding our nuclear arsenal.  It just seems worth a good investigation.

Is a French company substantially different from a British company?  The UAE company in question is acquiring a British company that is currently doing the job.

Feb 21 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

qphotonyc wrote:
"I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would take an airplane and slam it into the World Trade Center, take another one and slam it into the Pentagon; that they would try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile."

So, you're all for racial profiling then?

Feb 21 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

"Since September 11, financial institutions and the government have made efforts to create a financial profile of terrorist operatives. The FBI examined the financial transactions of the 9/11 hijackers and came up with some distinguishing features: they arrived at banks in groups; they listed their occupation as students; they spent a large percentage of their income on flight schools and airfare, particularly first-class airfare; and they were funded in large part through wire transfers from the UAE."

National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States
Monograph on Terrorist Financing
http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:ok … =clnk&cd=3

Feb 21 06 05:06 pm Link