Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Stop asking for Legal advice on MM !!!!

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

So there another ignorant bastard on MM hanging their legal laundry to for all the MM 'legal eagles' to pick at in their infinite wisdoms.

Everyone, Do youself a BIG favor. If you have a legal problem pending, whether civil or criminal DO TALK ABOUT IT ON MM !!!!

This is not the forum for it, nor will you get the proper advice, and potentially you could hurt your case in court.

If you have a legal problem call a lawyer first, NOT MM!

I think as soon a this type legal question comes on the boards, the MM Moderators should think about locking it.

Besides, we are dumbass Photographers and Models. What purpose will our knowledge serve you?

Mark

Feb 23 06 05:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

Dude, I so agree.  I am however gonna call my attorney to see what foundation she prefers. lol

Feb 23 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I'm sure this is the only place that they're seeking legal advice, yup, that must be it.

This is the off-topic section, right?

Feb 23 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Tesarik Photography

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Besides, we are dumbass Photographers and Models. What purpose will our knowledge serve you?

Mark

so is this your legal opinion on this subject smile

Feb 23 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

PetiteSamantha

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I've been on here only a month or so, and I've lost count of how many times I've seen posts about either a)Discrimination about being short, or b)Myspace/myspace legal issues.

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

as a graduate of the Harvard law school, i disagree...this is the perfect format to air out all legal and family matters.

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

BCG wrote:
as a graduate of the Harvard law school, i disagree...this is the perfect format to air out all legal and family matters.

and your words and actions show your education

Feb 23 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I agree!!  But while we;re on the subject, I gave a model her pictures with my copyright clearly on the photo.  But she's removed it all, is running a for pay model site, is printing my photos and selling them and I heard she's already made $10 on all the photos she's sold.  What should I do?!

Feb 23 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
I agree!!  But while we;re on the subject, I gave a model her pictures with my copyright clearly on the photo.  But she's removed it all, is running a for pay model site, is printing my photos and selling them and I heard she's already made $10 on all the photos she's sold.  What should I do?!

Eat some chocolate.

Feb 23 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
So there another ignorant bastard on MM hanging their legal laundry to for all the MM 'legal eagles' to pick at in their infinite wisdoms.

Mark

You know, Mark, you have about all the sensititivity of a lead weight.

I agree that asking for specific legal help on a model board isn't going to save someone from prison.  But if you've ever been involved in a situation such as the one the OP from the other thread is, there often is a certain amount of confusion, frustration and shock involved.  As in, MY GOD, MY KID has been arrested.  In a world that increasingly creates and maintains social contact via the internet, I'm not surprised when people reach out this way.

I don't think the OP in the other thread is either ignorant or a bastard, just simply someone who doesn't have a crack attorney on retainer and was looking to get some sort of support, undertanding in the face of a hard situation.

Maybe it might be good for you to step outside of yourself every once in a while.

Feb 23 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Mark,
I feel ya bro..But BASTARD? Ignorant, as in uninformed yes..Though Iwouldnt use the word ignorant myself. The poor guy is going through hell. And while I dont claim to know his finacial situation or educational background. I am willing to bet, he is reaching out and using the tools he has at hand. Right or wrong.

It seems the family has received some good avdice and they are no longer posting. So in the end MM was a good resource, perhaps not a best first choice, but a good one non the less.

As to that model..using th epictures and removing the copyright...SUE HER THONG OFF!

SHRUG.....

Feb 23 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Vance wrote:
Mark,
I feel ya bro..But BASTARD? Ignorant, as in uninformed yes..Though Iwouldnt use the word ignorant myself. The poor guy is going through hell. And while I dont claim to know his finacial situation or educational background. I am willing to bet, he is reaching out and using the tools he has at hand. Right or wrong.

It seems the family has received some good avdice and they are no longer posting. So in the end MM was a good resource, perhaps not a best first choice, but a good one non the less.

As to that model..using th epictures and removing the copyright...SUE HER THONG OFF!

SHRUG.....

KM and Vance,

Believe me I do feel bad for this person...BUT, how can you tell me that when a person is feeling distraught, and frustrated, and sad, and confusted and.... they feel the need to turn to MM!!!! Come on!

How about your family, your friends!!! Maybe you might think of them first!

So, for someone to come on MM and air their legal problems and issues, I will wish them well and still call them an 'ignorant bastard'!!!...but with love and understanding.;-)

M

Feb 23 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

threezerothreefoureight

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

I agree that asking for specific legal help on a model board isn't going to save someone from prison.  But if you've ever been involved in a situation such as the one the OP from the other thread is, there often is a certain amount of confusion, frustration and shock involved.  As in, MY GOD, MY KID has been arrested.  In a world that increasingly creates and maintains social contact via the internet, I'm not surprised when people reach out this way.

I don't think the OP in the other thread is either ignorant or a bastard, just simply someone who doesn't have a crack attorney on retainer and was looking to get some sort of support, undertanding in the face of a hard situation.

Maybe it might be good for you to step outside of yourself every once in a while.

well said

Feb 23 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Everyone, Do youself a BIG favor. If you have a legal problem pending, whether civil or criminal DO TALK ABOUT IT ON MM !!!!

This is not the forum for it, nor will you get the proper advice, and potentially you could hurt your case in court.

I think as soon a this type legal question comes on the boards, the MM Moderators should think about locking it.

Mark

Lighten up Mark.  I'm sure that the people that ask for legal advise here get their money's worth.  If nothing else, those threads reflect problems that, when vented, find solutions.  People here may not give good legal advice, but most of the posters do know when a someone should consult a lawyer and do make such a recommendation.  Some people aren't surrounded by a close circle of friends, they rely on MM and other forums because we are their friends (with friends like us, who needs enemies).

Feb 23 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

I have always said that you ask a photographer about exposure and ask a lawyer about the law.   So I agree with you the the forums are not the place to ask for legal advice.

But, and this is a big but, where does a guy go from being frustrated and discouraged to becoming an ignorant bastard?  Let's cut the guy a little slack.  I think he has enough to deal with right now.

Feb 23 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

On the advice of My council I will decline any comment on this matter.

Feb 23 06 09:30 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

I have always said that you ask a photographer about exposure and ask a lawyer about the law.   So I agree with you the the forums are not the place to ask for legal advice.

But, and this is a big but, where does a guy go from being frustrated and discouraged to becoming an ignorant bastard?  Let's cut the guy a little slack.  I think he has enough to deal with right now.

EXACTLY! A little sensitivity goes a long ways!

Feb 23 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

Well said.

Feb 23 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Not having a clue as to the particulars of one in question of being a bastard, asking for advice is central to the strength of forums.  The discussions often bring many points of view through member past experience.

There have been many situations where those have stopped on forums first rather than reaching for the checkbook to write a hefty retainer fee, finding the advice sought saved time, expense and effort.  There's value in that; learning from others' experiences first and gaining an understanding on how best to proceed.

The bigger problem is the mindless threads that have little to do with strengthening the community, which has dwindled the membership of many that bring vast knowledge while increasing the amount of people that haven't the first clue. 

Those that have the most to offer could care less about jerk off, hook-ups and dominance of nudity subjects that lace the boards.  The continuing presence of those subjects has reduced the MM site forums to a mentality far from attracting those that view this even remotely as a credible modeling site.  Thus, thoughtful discussion on legal and other matters is both inconsistent and often wrong.

Don't blame the discussion topic.  Fix what's wrong with attracting those that can reply with pertinence to make them valuable for the community.

Feb 23 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I plead the 5th.....

Feb 23 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

KM and Vance,

Believe me I do feel bad for this person...BUT, how can you tell me that when a person is feeling distraught, and frustrated, and sad, and confusted and.... they feel the need to turn to MM!!!! Come on!

So, for someone to come on MM and air their legal problems and issues, I will wish them well and still call them an 'ignorant bastard'!!!...but with love and understanding.;-)

M

Mark my friend,
I wont even try to argue an individulas use of the internet as a whole. And I am certainly not in this man shoes, nor am I in his head. I do appreceiate you using a little humor in this response, it shows you have a heart.

V

Feb 23 06 11:32 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

It is an off topic discussion and that is where the person posted it

Benny https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/mm3.jpg

Feb 23 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

There are a lot of intelligent, knowledgeable people who post here.  Maybe the guy who sought legal advice here is trying everywhere, not just here.  Not a bad strategy, really.

Feb 23 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Mark

A-M-E-N !!!!!!!

Feb 23 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Ron B Blake wrote:
and your words and actions show your education

Ignore him - that guy (BCG) just wants attention. Trust me, I've been through it with him already

Feb 23 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Mark

True,  True,  but very often you do not need to hire a lawyer to take care of your business.
Many things can be taken care of in small claims or even without the service of a high paid lawyer.

As much as it is disputed,  Judges actually understand logic and the small person stating a case based on truth and proof.

Why hire a lawyer if you already have  a contract and proof?

If you can gain knowledge here,  not likely but possible then why not?
Many lawyers that I have hired knew less than I did so they were just a waste of time and money.

Not good to respresent yourself for a murder trial but a monetary disagreement over 1000 dollers then why pay 750 to win when logic will win.

Do not respect much of the advice you get here for much of it is wrong but you do not need to pay a lawyer to state the obvious.

And that is de truth.

Feb 24 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

KM and Vance,

M

Maybe he thinks of the people on this site as his family and friends. Maybe he just needed to tell someone about his problem and felt he was safe here.

Feb 24 06 01:14 pm Link