Forums > General Industry > Fees? How much is fair?

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

Ok. First off, I just want to make it crystal clear... I am NOT a professional, not do I pretend to be one. I am simply a hobbyist, an amateur, someone who shoots purely for fun. At least, that's how I started out.

I live in a VERY small community in a rural area, and my wife works in a school. Alot of the staff and her friends have seen my work, and they all like what they see. (landscapes, etc.) Suddenly, I'm finding myself inundated with requests to do family photos, portraits, school events, etc, because photographers seem to be in short supply around here. I take the offers because frankly, I need the money.

After the most recent "job", taking photos for the North Central Teachers Convention Association, I was approached by one of the principals of a high school who wanted a dozen photos that I had taken while I was there. When asked how much I wanted for my photos (she'd picked 12) I had NO idea what to charge.

Seeing as how I'm not a professional, I figured $10 (cdn) per photo was reasonable. (She then owns the photos, and has the right to reproduce and distribute them as she sees fit.

Is this wise? Or fair? Personally, I don't think the images are very good, so I have no attachment to them. But I could use a little guidance and advice on the matter, so I don't make any mistakes that will come back to mite me in the ass.

Thanks in advance,

Robb

Mar 01 06 05:14 pm Link