Forums > General Industry > Does anyone just shoot for fun anymore?

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

I mean really.  I'm looking at this weekend, the kid is gone to some seminar in Tahoe and I have no obligations for once.

The weekend is all mine.

The stray thought crossed my mind...gee, I wonder if anyone would just want to go out and shoot...for fun.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No having to negotiate how many images, and then the work to get it done on time or have a model deluging your email and voicemail.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Just get up early, go out somewhere, shoot and be shot.  Maybe even take a nature shot or two.  Admire the scenery.

Anybody do that anymore?

Mar 02 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Yep, look at the first 4 photos in my portfolio.

Mar 02 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

fashion? no, generally that's "just business" ...

(okay, occasional exception if i'm testing a new idea ... but then probably only with one of my model friends; the "inner tribe")

... but scenery? travel? even a little bit of studio table-top? oh yeah! still love the whole "art" with the lil black box! (smile)

fml

Mar 02 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

White Dragon

Brunswick, Georgia, US

I only shoot for fun. Not interested in the financial aspects of photography anymore.

Mar 02 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

That is my problem....I love to shoot for fun way too much.
I love taking my camera and just going out to shoot.... be it a model that wants to play or a band I have never seen before....I just HAVE to shoot and it's so much fun.
The commercial work is fun but not satisfying fun like just playing.
Great question.
Cheers- David 6of7

Mar 02 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't have any up in my port, but I like to take to the streets and shoot some candid work.  It's fun, you never know what you'll come across.

Mar 02 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

SKPhoto wrote:
I mean really.  I'm looking at this weekend, the kid is gone to some seminar in Tahoe and I have no obligations for once.

The weekend is all mine.

The stray thought crossed my mind...gee, I wonder if anyone would just want to go out and shoot...for fun.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No having to negotiate how many images, and then the work to get it done on time or have a model deluging your email and voicemail.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Just get up early, go out somewhere, shoot and be shot.  Maybe even take a nature shot or two.  Admire the scenery.

Anybody do that anymore?

Sounds like everyone of my shoots lol. Just wing it smile

Mar 02 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

All the time.  Yes, I do the studio stuff.  But most of my stuff is just every day stuff.  I'll be driving home from work and just pull over if I see something that interest me.  Those actually are my favorite images and the ones I put up in my home.

Mar 02 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Having fun is my single biggest motivator.  I've had commercial shoots that weren't fun...and years ago, weddings that certainly weren't.  But even on a bad day of shooting, I have always consoled myself with the fact that it's more fun than punching a clock for someone else.

Mar 02 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I did two shoots in Atlanta over the weekend ... I did all the lights and models and changes, etc. and I had a blast. To "all y'all" from ATL, you have a GREAT city!

Mar 02 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Vita Brevis wrote:
Having fun is my single biggest motivator.  I've had commercial shoots that weren't fun...and years ago, weddings that certainly weren't.  But even on a bad day of shooting, I have always consoled myself with the fact that it's more fun than punching a clock for someone else.

Weddings...why I gave up photography completely several years ago.
People who didn't want to pay the rest of their bill.
Crazy judges who thought that since I was a "for hire" photographer I needed to turn over any and all material related to a customer because I didn't have a copyright to for hire photos, film, and negatives.  Didn't matter that the customer didn't want to settle the bill.  No no, you must countersue.  Hand over the pics and have a nice day.

Sorry...gotta go take my blood pressure medicine now.  Find the happy place, find the happy place...

Mar 02 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I shoot for fun all the time
that's why I quit doing photos for a living, it was taking all the love out of my art

Mar 02 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Every time I saddle up the S10 and head out for a shoot - I know it's going to be fun.

I'm doing something creative when I didn't think I had an artistic bone in my body.

I've met amazing people - and many I can now call friends.

I have no boss - No client - and no money pressures to produce anything in particular - so the images are mostly to please myself and the model - and if we pull it off and we are both proud of the images - everything else is just gravy if people here like them.

Talk about a fun day - The first 3 images in my pics here, were from a shoot with My5steriona (#104177) who is in Barstow - who I have worked with many, many times.  We just jumped into the truck - headed into the distance to see what locations we liked.  Found a cool building that will be known as the "Skull Shack" - 

We only shot a roll or two - had a great day and got some FUN images.

VintageV

Mar 02 06 11:55 pm Link

Model

Lenora Jayne

New York, New York, US

I certainly don't shoot for money, I'm a fashion student who loves/appreciates beautiful photography and loves to dress up and have a great time.

Mar 02 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

SKPhoto wrote:

Weddings...why I gave up photography completely several years ago.
People who didn't want to pay the rest of their bill.
Crazy judges who thought that since I was a "for hire" photographer I needed to turn over any and all material related to a customer because I didn't have a copyright to for hire photos, film, and negatives.  Didn't matter that the customer didn't want to settle the bill.  No no, you must countersue.  Hand over the pics and have a nice day.

Sorry...gotta go take my blood pressure medicine now.  Find the happy place, find the happy place...

I feel the pain, my friend.  It's been many years since I did one of those for money.  I never had too much trouble with people skipping out on the bill.  Well over 300 weddings, no one ever got away. smile

Mar 03 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Konkienam

Page, Arizona, US

Totally! I still love to shoot for fun! It's a passion...not a job!  Well not for me anymore : )

That's why I live where I live....I have everything here in nature..lack of models, but I can drive 3 hours to shoot and have fun with other humans!

We as humans have to have an outlet...but we as artists have this as an outlet...but when it becomes a job and not a passion anymore...take a break and shoot for fun for a little while....I used to take a week and go to the Mojave or another and unwind with my camera and nature!  Away from humans for a while!

Mar 03 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

https://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs9/300W/i/2006/060/3/8/Enchanted_by_Lydia_KCMo.jpg

Yep, I took this one yesterday. big_smile

Mar 03 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Dick Cheney does wink

Mar 03 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Tim Baker wrote:
Dick Cheney does wink

*groans*

So bad. You're just terrible...lol

Mar 03 06 03:07 am Link

Model

Jesseca27

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I just want to have fun, what the hell is the point otherwise, I ask?

Mar 03 06 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Mad Skilz Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

SKPhoto wrote:

The weekend is all mine.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Anybody do that anymore?

wow i would go out and do that with ya ...shame you are all the way in cali...

Mar 03 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Almost everything I shoot is for fun, work takes too much of the enjoyment out of photography.

Mar 03 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

i shoot for fun ......at making money

Mar 03 06 05:48 am Link

Photographer

adm2

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I always shoot for fun.  Met and shot some great new models from MM recently but also I love getting out and shooting nature and landscapes.
It's a lot more personally gratifying than my day job!

Mar 03 06 06:10 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I shoot for fun at times and profit at other times

smile

Mar 03 06 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Wild Shotz

Clayton, Delaware, US

Not only for fun, but for pastries as well.

Mar 03 06 06:24 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I shoot for fun and don't give a rat's ass about money.

-Don

Mar 03 06 06:29 am Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

Shoot first and foremost for fun. If I make money as a result, then bonus.

Mar 03 06 06:30 am Link

Model

JessM219

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Sounds like a good idea to me...minus the whole waking up early thing...

Mar 03 06 06:51 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

yep..its a great joy...

Mar 03 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Vision of a Poet

League City, Texas, US

for fun, for discovery...it is always fun....for my presentations, for fun...did I mention for fun?  I feel sorry for the folks who only do this work when there is some sort of "payoff" in mind.....the real payoff is just doing it....

Mar 03 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
https://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs9/300W/i/2006/060/3/8/Enchanted_by_Lydia_KCMo.jpg

Yep, I took this one yesterday. big_smile

Nice shot... we have a cat with eyes that blue at home.  Is that fine looking 4-legger a Snowshoe like ours?

Mar 03 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Sure. It's just like the prto bass fisherman who likes to break out sometimes and just go catch some crappies.

Mar 03 06 09:38 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Of Course I shoot for fun.............Life is too short not too

Mar 03 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I only shoot for fun.

mjr.

Mar 03 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Yes.

Mar 03 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

If your not having fun, stop shooting.  You lose your creative edge when the creative process becomes work in your own mind.  I may never be rich from my photography, but I am enriched by it.

Mar 03 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Autumn Bleuu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SKPhoto wrote:

The weekend is all mine.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Anybody do that anymore?

Well I rarely get paid for any of the modeling gigs I do, so it's all for the enjoyment most times.  smile Otherwise I probably wouldn't be modeling if it was all about the prestige and money.  It never really is.

Mar 03 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

What is fun?

I work so hard I never have time for fun!

But wait a minute, I forgot.  I like what I do.  It must be all fun then!

Mar 03 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I have shot for fun quiet a bit as of lately, just a few friends and I. Will I shoot a possible clinet for fun ? Not unless part of the fun is spending the pay check .But I think shooting for fun is something amatuers and professionals all need to do from time to time in order to appreciate it.

Mar 03 06 10:48 am Link