Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hispanic - Very confusing word to some people

Model

Claudette V

"Falls into pet peeve category"

Every now and then I will have a conversation with someone who just doesn't understand what Hispanic means - usually other Hispanics.  Yesterday I had a conversation with a girl from Puerto Rico who was making comments that were slightly not nice about white people. When I pointed out that she was herself white she looked at me like I was a moron.  I nicely explained to her that the island of Puerto Rico was inhabited by Amer. Indians and that Spaniards (Whites) colonized the island along with their African slaves (blacks).  The presence of a particular race varies from region to region butthat is the basic story of all Latin America.  For example there are a lot of blacks in the Carribean countries,  a lot of Amer. Indians in southern Mexico through the Andes, and Argentina and Uruguay are very white. 

Simply put a Hispanic is just someone who comes from a spanish speaking country and can be of any race - pure or mixture of different races. That is it.  My country, Dominican Republic, has nothing to do with Mexico.  We just speak spanish.

There will be a pop quiz on Tuesday.

Mar 03 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Latino girls are so hot !

Mar 03 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Claudette V

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I dont know about all of them....but I sure as hell am.

Mar 03 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I second this!

HALO!!

Mar 03 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Yes you are smile

Mar 03 06 09:32 am Link

Model

Clary

BRONX, New York, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:

We sure are! Just take a look at me! haha smile

Mar 03 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Not to take a tangent or anything but my observation is the the biggest problem between Hispanics and Anglos is in the misunderstanding of a single word:

"mañana"

Every Anglo-Gringo who hears the word believes in their heart of hearts it means "tomorrow" but every Hispanic knows it really means "not today".

Mar 03 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Claudette V

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
Not to take a tangent or anything but my observation is the the biggest problem between Hispanics and Anglos is in the misunderstanding of a single word:

"mañana"

Every Anglo-Gringo who hears the word believes in their heart of hearts it means "tomorrow" but every Hispanic knows it really means "not today".

I can tell right away you are not a New Yorker.  New Yorkers dont say Anglos.
There are probably more people from Bangladesh in NYC than there are Anglos.  Most whites from New York are Italian, Irish, Greek, Jewish etc..

Mar 03 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

¿ La relación entre este y la fotografía es ... ?

FML

Mar 03 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

Leila Hazlett

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Thats actually really helpful. I never actually knew what Hispanic ment before.

Mar 03 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Los Angeles, California, US

Not to be a punk but the term Hispanic always cracked me up, I mean come on where is Hispania.  Try Latino, or even Chicano, or even the particular culture from where you belong.  It don't matter, but I thought it was pertinent.

Mar 03 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Claudette V wrote:
"Falls into pet peeve category"

Every now and then I will have a conversation with someone who just doesn't understand what Hispanic means - usually other Hispanics.  Yesterday I had a conversation with a girl from Puerto Rico who was making comments that were slightly not nice about white people. When I pointed out that she was herself white she looked at me like I was a moron.  I nicely explained to her that the island of Puerto Rico was inhabited by Amer. Indians and that Spaniards (Whites) colonized the island along with their African slaves (blacks).  The presence of a particular race varies from region to region butthat is the basic story of all Latin America.  For example there are a lot of blacks in the Carribean countries,  a lot of Amer. Indians in southern Mexico through the Andes, and Argentina and Uruguay are very white. 

Simply put a Hispanic is just someone who comes from a spanish speaking country and can be of any race - pure or mixture of different races. That is it.  My country, Dominican Republic, has nothing to do with Mexico.  We just speak spanish.

There will be a pop quiz on Tuesday.

lol first of all...the term "Amer Indians" is derogatory and it appears you have done what you dont like to be done to you ...the native people of the isle of "Puerto Rico" were Taino.......

Secondly, read the book..."They Came Before Columbus..." some, alot of Africans, inhabited isles...like New Zealand, even Australia...becasue they TRAVELED there....the notion is that and it's a racist notion...Africans didnt get into ships and travel...LOL....

on the HISPANIC I agree....peole will say "Spanish" to identify a spANISH-SPEAKING PERSON INSTEAD OF hISPANIC OR lATIN...

Just so youll know, I have visited the DR and I love it...went to Puerto Plata...cant wait to go again

also, most of the people who are "Hispanic" are actually Dark and/or brown-skinned and upon first glance would be deemed "Black"...I just call them African-Hispanic

Mar 03 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

The best definitions of different terminology for people can be found here:

http://www.rsdb.org

(evil chuckle)

Mar 03 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

"mañana"

it does mean tomorrow

Mar 03 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Deaftone wrote:
Not to be a punk but the term Hispanic always cracked me up, I mean come on where is Hispania.  Try Latino, or even Chicano, or even the particular culture from where you belong.  It don't matter, but I thought it was pertinent.

Chicanos are mexcans and latino can fall in a lot of ways brazilian are known as latinos also because is a word that comes from the language once spoken latin  which derive many other languages such as spanish and  portuguese  so hispanics is more for everybody that speaks spanish basically on my point of view  I{m puertorican  and I wouldnt be wanting novbody calling me chicano   because Im not

Mar 03 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Deaftone wrote:
...but the term Hispanic always cracked me up, I mean come on where is Hispania.

The term "Hispanic" comes from the name of the island "Hispanola" (often spelled "Hispanolia").

Hispanola is the name of the island that the Dominican Republic and Haiti are now located.

Contrary to popular belief, Columbus did not discover "America", he discovered "Hispanola",  as that's where his ship landed in 1492, and the 'new world' expanded from there.

The name "Hispanola" is a variation of the word "La Espanola" (the Spanish).

Because Hispanola was the first Spanish colony in the new world, and expanded from there, the term "Hispanic" now means people of Spanish decent that live in Caribbean or the Americas.

Haiti is basically a French offshoot, so even though it's located on the Island of Hispanola,  Haitians are not considered Hispanic.

Islands which include Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and most of Central and South America are considered "Hispanic" simply because they were colonized by Spain.

Nearby islands (such as Grenada, Virgin Islands, Martinique, Netherland Antilles) are generally not considered "Hispanic", because of the lack of Spanish roots.

People directly from Spain are not considered Hispanic, because their roots are from Spain and not the island of Hispanola. 
-------------------------------------

Now, my pet peeve!:

How come people think that "Asians" only have slanted eyes???

(Turkey, Russia, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan, and India are all Asian countries y'know!)

Mar 03 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

images by elahi wrote:

lol first of all...the term "Amer Indians" is derogatory and it appears you have done what you dont like to be done to you ...the native people of the isle of "Puerto Rico" were Taino.......

Secondly, read the book..."They Came Before Colubus..." some, alot of Africans, inhabitaed isles...like New Zealand, even Australia...becasue they TRAVELED there....the notion is that and it's a racist notion...Africans didnt get into ships and travel...LOL....

on the HISPANIC I agree....peole will say "Spanish" to identify a spANISH-SPEAKING PERSON INSTEAD OF hISPANIC OR lATIN...

Just so youll know, I have visited the DR and I love it...went to Pueto Plata...cant wait to go again

also, most of the people who are "Hispanic" are actually Dark and/or brown-skinned and upon first glance would be deemed "Black"...I just call them African-Hispanic

not really my father side of the family they all  blue eyes and blonde hair and pretty much are confused for white people all the time

Mar 03 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

George Diego Photo

Leander, Texas, US

Intensity wrote:

not really my father side of the family they all  blue eyes and blonde hair and pretty much are confused for white people all the time

LOL! My mom used to get "spanish speaking caucasian" on tickets if she ever got them! She is also very light skinned. Then again she is from northern Spain, so Moorish blood is at a minimum...

-George

Mar 03 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

geodiego wrote:

Intensity wrote:

LOL! My mom used to get "spanish speaking caucasian" on tickets if she ever got them! She is also very light skinned. Then again she is from northern Spain, so Moorish blood is at a minimum...

-George

yeah my grandfather is from spain  so I think thats why  he married a purtorican  but all the kids after that came out  with light skin and blue eyes

Mar 03 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Claudette V wrote:

I can tell right away you are not a New Yorker.  New Yorkers dont say Anglos.
There are probably more people from Bangladesh in NYC than there are Anglos.  Most whites from New York are Italian, Irish, Greek, Jewish etc..

At the moment I'm in Arizona where the newspapers seem to recognize three categories of people: Angols (or Gringos), Hispanics (mostly from Mexico and Central America in these parts) and Indians (Native Americans - or as they prefer to call themselves, Apache, O'odham, and other tribal specific names).

My background is Eastern European - but somehow I find myself classified as Anglo ... probably because my first language is English.

Personally, I think the caregorizations are of limited use - and, in many cases they create more problems than they solve.

Mar 03 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

To say that Hispanics are white is not a true statement. Hispanics are those peoples who originate from the over 20 countries of South, Central, North America, and the Carribbean. Aside from Spanish  French, Portuguese, and native languages are also spoken amongst these people. Your statement that most Latin Americans are a mixture of Native Indians, Conquistadors, and people of African descent is correct. What we are is a result of centuries of interracial relationships and a blending of cultures. To say that a Hispanic is someone who comes from a Spanish speaking country is grossly inadequate to what we actually are. There is much more than that and I feel that maybe you should take a Latin American History course and educate yourself. And be careful who you go around sharing your knoweledge with before you offend someone and find yourself in a compromising situation.

(from my Puerto Rican friend)

Mar 03 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Intensity wrote:

Chicanos are mexcans and latino can fall in a lot of ways brazilian are known as latinos also because is a word that comes from the language once spoken latin  which derive many other languages such as spanish and  portuguese  so hispanics is more for everybody that speaks spanish basically on my point of view  I{m puertorican  and I wouldnt be wanting novbody calling me chicano   because Im not

Brazilans are more AFrican ethnically and culturally than anything else..their speaking of Portugese mght classify them as Latin or ven the fact that their subjugation was at the hands of Europeans and therefore they "took" the designation as Latin or Hispanic...the culture, as most Brazilians admit, and the ethnicity is more African.....

Mar 03 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Claudette V wrote:

I dont know about all of them....but I sure as hell am.

The truth!!

Mar 03 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Nerlande wrote:
To say that a Hispanic is someone who comes from a Spanish speaking country is grossly inadequate to what we actually are.

Hispanic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hispanic, as used in the United States, is one of several terms used to categorize persons whose ancestry hails either from Spain, the Spanish-speaking countries of Latin America, or the original settlers of the traditionally Spanish-held Southwestern United States. The term is used as a broad form of classification in the U.S. census, local and federal employment, and numerous business market researches.

In Spain and Spanish-speaking Latin America, Hispano ("Hispanic") is ascribed as indicating a derivation from Spain, her people and culture. It follows the same style of use as Anglo indicates a derivation of England and the English. Thus, the Spanish-American War in Spanish is known as "Guerra Hispano-Estadounidense", the "Spanish-German Treaty" as "Tratado Hispano-Alemán", "Spanish America" as Hispanoamérica, etc. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Mar 03 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

"Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race."

FYI race and ethnicity are 2 different things:

according to the united states:

In October 1997, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announced the revised standards for federal data on race and ethnicity. The minimum categories for race are now: American Indian or Alaska Native; Asian; Black or African American; Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and White. Instead of allowing a multiracial category as was originally suggested in public and congressional hearings, the OMB adopted the Interagency Committee's recommendation to allow respondents to select one or more races when they self-identify. With the OMB's approval, the Census 2000 questionnaires also include a sixth racial category: Some Other Race. There are also two minimum categories for ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.

The new categories were used by the Census Bureau for the Census 2000 Dress Rehearsal in spring 1998, and will be used on the Census 2000 questionnaire. The new standards are effective immediately for new and revised data collections by federal agencies, and all federal agencies must implement the new standards by January 1, 2003.

from
http://www.census.gov/population/www/so … actcb.html

PS: I am born of a Chilean mother, a Colombian father, Danish and Spaniard Grandfathers, and Spanish and French Greatgrandmothers. Born in the caribean in the US Virgin Islands.
point is..... we are all mixed in this blender we call earth.
people will call you what they think you look or sound like.
I get I'm Italian 97% of the time. Totally way off. I don't get offended I just say I'm an American.

Mar 03 06 01:55 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

"According to the study funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation, 61 percent of all Puerto Ricans have Amerindian mitochondrial DNA, 27 percent have African and 12 percent Caucasian. (Nuclear DNA, or the genetic material present in a gene’s nucleus, is inherited in equal parts from one’s father and mother. Mitochondrial DNA is inherited only from one’s mother and does not change or blend with other materials over time.)"
http://www.centrelink.org/KearnsDNA.html

Just an interesting thing to read. We are more Taino than we think.

Why does race come up so often in these forums?

Mar 03 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

The term "Hispanic" comes from the name of the island "Hispanola" (often spelled "Hispanolia").

Hispanola is the name of the island that the Dominican Republic and Haiti are now located.

Contrary to popular belief, Columbus did not discover "America", he discovered "Hispanola",  as that's where his ship landed in 1492, and the 'new world' expanded from there.

The name "Hispanola" is a variation of the word "La Espanola" (the Spanish).

Because Hispanola was the first Spanish colony in the new world, and expanded from there, the term "Hispanic" now means people of Spanish decent that live in Caribbean or the Americas.

Haiti is basically a French offshoot, so even though it's located on the Island of Hispanola,  Haitians are not considered Hispanic.

Islands which include Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and most of Central and South America are considered "Hispanic" simply because they were colonized by Spain.

Nearby islands (such as Grenada, Virgin Islands, Martinique, Netherland Antilles) are generally not considered "Hispanic", because of the lack of Spanish roots.

People directly from Spain are not considered Hispanic, because their roots are from Spain and not the island of Hispanola. 
-------------------------------------

Now, my pet peeve!:

How come people think that "Asians" only have slanted eyes???

(Turkey, Russia, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan, and India are all Asian countries y'know!)

agreement with most of what you said...however...

When did Europeans living in Israel become Asian? Indians....the Dravidians in the SOuth...do you know about them?

and so what are Haitians then if not "Hispanic?" Not sure what you mean by "Offshoot." SO are Haitians "French?"

not sure about your assertion that they were considered Hispanic because of Spanish colonization.....it has more to do with linguistic reasons..the language and not the colonization.

Mar 03 06 02:03 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

FML-Photography wrote:
¿ La relación entre este y la fotografía es ... ?

FML

The answer is none.  Hence Off-Topic-Discussion.

Mar 03 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kitapanda wrote:
"According to the study funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation, 61 percent of all Puerto Ricans have Amerindian mitochondrial DNA, 27 percent have African and 12 percent Caucasian. (Nuclear DNA, or the genetic material present in a gene’s nucleus, is inherited in equal parts from one’s father and mother. Mitochondrial DNA is inherited only from one’s mother and does not change or blend with other materials over time.)"

you mean ETHNICITY and CULTURE......? becasue we are who we are and why dont we like to talk about our differences? Ethnic difference is good...why do some people think that its impossible or undesirable to discuss all the complex realities of our differences......?

Usage of the term "Amer..." is wrong and derogatory...they didnt call themselves that...colonizers did and do......

Mar 03 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kitapanda wrote:

and now as we in NY used to all ways know...I dont know about now.....Puerto Ricans are more "Black" than white....LOL

Mar 03 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Claudette V wrote:

The answer is none.  Hence Off-Topic-Discussion.

thats right.....

Mar 03 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nerlande wrote:
To say that Hispanics are white is not a true statement. Hispanics are those peoples who originate from the over 20 countries of South, Central, North America, and the Carribbean. Aside from Spanish  French, Portuguese, and native languages are also spoken amongst these people. Your statement that most Latin Americans are a mixture of Native Indians, Conquistadors, and people of African descent is correct. What we are is a result of centuries of interracial relationships and a blending of cultures. To say that a Hispanic is someone who comes from a Spanish speaking country is grossly inadequate to what we actually are. There is much more than that and I feel that maybe you should take a Latin American History course and educate yourself. And be careful who you go around sharing your knoweledge with before you offend someone and find yourself in a compromising situation.

(from my Puerto Rican friend)

Mar 03 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

images by elahi wrote:
and now as we in NY used to all ways know...I dont know about now.....Puerto Ricans are more "Black" than white....LOL

WTF? where the hell are you getting that from. I've never heard anyone say that. and yes im from NY. if anything the term is NewYorican.  more black than white?
what?  i hope JLO bitch slaps you with both her cheeks.
wink

Mar 03 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

images by elahi wrote:

Secondly, read the book..."They Came Before Columbus..." some, alot of Africans, inhabited isles...like New Zealand, even Australia...becasue they TRAVELED there....the notion is that and it's a racist notion...Africans didnt get into ships and travel...LOL....

Just so youll know, I have visited the DR and I love it...went to Puerto Plata...cant wait to go again

1. The term American Indian is not deregatory.  It's just an easy term to describe the indiginous pre-Columbus people of the Americas. The Taino were also in what is now Cuba, Haiti and Dominican Republic.  My point was broader and no need to identify any one particular people.

2. I never said Africans freely traveled to the Americas.  I wrote that they were brought here as slaves by the Spanish.

3.  Most people who are Hispanic are not black.  Only in the Caribean countries do they make up a sizable portion of the population.  My country DR is majority black or mixed but other countries like Peru, Mexico, Argentina etc have very few black people.

Mar 03 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

FabioTovar wrote:

WTF? where the hell are you getting that from. I've never heard anyone say that. and yes im from NY. if anything the term is NewYorican.  more black than white?
what?  i hope JLO bitch slaps you with both her cheeks.
wink

Kitapanda wrote:

Mar 03 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Claudette V wrote:

1. The term American Indian is not deregatory.  It's just an easy term to describe the indiginous pre-Columbus people of the Americas. The Taino were also in what is now Cuba, Haiti and Dominican Republic.  My point was broader and no need to identify any one particular people.

2. I never said Africans freely traveled to the Americas.  I wrote that they were brought here as slaves by the Spanish.

3.  Most people who are Hispanic are not black.  Only in the Caribean countries do they make up a sizable portion of the population.  My country DR is majority black or mixed but other countries like Peru, Mexico, Argentina etc have very few black people.

girlfriend,

before Columbus you think the native peoples called themselves American? Im sorry before Americus DeSpuchi (and I know the spelling is off...no offense to my Italian brothers and sistahs)

Mar 03 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

americus vespucci

Mar 03 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

I got your DNA right here
(said sarcastically while me grabbing my crotch and shaking it menacingly.)

Mar 03 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Claudette V wrote:

i know..i corrected you...not all Africans arrived in the "New World" as slaves

Most "Hispanics" are more African than anything else...are you researching this? youre talking about mixing LOL thats not true about Mexico

you know what

if youre serious aboou this topic read this

http://www.louisville.edu/a-s/history/ehrick/gomez.htm

Mar 03 06 02:22 pm Link

Mar 03 06 02:25 pm Link