Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Curly hair shoots too fuzzy

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

My hair often looks too fuzzy in my shots.  I put hair products in it to reduce frizz, but unless I spray it down with water every ten minutes, it just shoots fuzzy. What is the best solution without using a ridiculous amount of expensive hair product?

Apr 10 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Hey dude -

I have stick straight hair, but am aquainted with many curly-haired folk like yourself, and they all use this line of products:

Devacurl.

They are supposed to be just fantastic for curly hair, and I've seen the smashing results...or rather, non-frizzy results.

Unfortunately, that's all I know in regards to frizzy hair. Hopefully more stylists can be of assistance.

xo

Apr 10 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
My hair often looks too fuzzy in my shots.  I put hair products in it to reduce frizz, but unless I spray it down with water every ten minutes, it just shoots fuzzy. What is the best solution without using a ridiculous amount of expensive hair product?

hahahahahahah! oops, sorry.  well, here's my 2 cents of good/bad news... YOU NEED TO USE A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF HAIR PRODUCT!  sorry. lessee... maybe there's some other way... you'll need to practice. but i was a hairstylist for a dozen years... and most curly hair wants to explode if you touch it. massive amounts of goo keeps it stuck together.

anecdote: photo session for a hair product company, model with natural curly hair, styled by luis alvarez (google him if you like; he rocks). luis put darn near half a tube into the hair. when squeezed, the hair made sqilchy-squelchy sounds. dried stiff. LOOKED FANTASTIC!!

in my humble experience, working with 'real-people' clients in a salon, most folks had to try many differents brands and textures before they found the 'one' that gave them best results with minimum amount. but when in doubt, use a ton. also, don't MOVE the hair much as you dry it. only move it into the shape you want, then sort of 'bake' it. NEVER comb through with yer fingers.

photos require even pickier technique. sometimes hairspray-on-the-hand works for flyaways, but much less so on curly than straight hair.

sometimes you can coat your hand with a silicon product (such as frizz-eze, et al), and er, stroke the ropes of hair, joining it back together.

much of this you've likely already experienced. good luck!

-john

Apr 10 06 02:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I feel your pain smile I my self am a curly girl too so this is one of my tricks, apply your products into your hair while its wet, then using a defuser dry your dair. then spray with a light hold hair spray, if its still fuzzy next time  apply more product to wet hair and let air dry or use a defuser on your blow dryer this will help with the frizz ohh and try not to play with it too much this will make it fizz out .
The amout of product depends on how much hair you have, I have really long thick hair and i use mousse and a cream smoother in my hair while its wet.
Also try to avoid products with alot of  aclcohol. And if your having a shoot on wednesday wash your hair with shampoo on Monday. I know my hair looks the  best with about 2 or 3 days of product in it. Talk to your hair stylist and may be they will have more info for you. Good luck smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry.

Apr 10 06 08:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

ahh..I have dealt with this my whole life. Here's my routine:
When hair is damp I mix a drop of coconut oil with pomade. I never comb or brush. Let it air dry, do not TOUCH it. That makes it frizzy.

Apr 10 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Wow.  I guess I am not the only one with this problem.  Great tips all.  Although I was hoping for a silver bullet solution.  I like the idea of coconut oil.  - I will have to try that.  I knew a girl in high school that put eggs and mayonnaise in her hair at least once a week. - It seamed to work good for her.  Maybe I will try to concoct something for my hair. What other natural things can be used to add shine and provide anti-frizz?

I occasionally get hair products that work, but my hair stylist always seems to sell me something different every time I go in.  - She changes her lines frequently.  And, If I do get something that actually works, it gets really expensive if I use enough product to make my hair look good all the time.

Apr 10 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

My hair is very curly too (a lot like yours), and quite thick. Once, I disguised myself as Foxy Cleopatra (from Austin Powers, she's the black girl with the golden afro) for Halloween. Really. Wasn't even hard.

Most of the year, when it's not too hot or humid outside, I have my hair flat-ironed straight. It's much less of a hassle that way, and my hairdresser is very good at making the brushing hold (see my pictures!). In the heat of summer, it becomes very hard to do anything remotely good with it. It gets extra frizzy and curly, it's annoying. I try to stay where there is conditioned air and not to go outside. I avoid swimming pool as much as I can, the chlorine dries the hair.

It's hell when june, july and august come. The best I can do is to put more straightening products, let it air dry and not touch it. The last part is the key. A greek friend of mine who sports waist-lenght black, curly hair told me she brush her hair under the shower (while using conditioner, it's easier), and before towel-drying it so it won't drip everywhere, she puts gel, to define the curls and to prevent it to get too much volume.

Apr 10 06 11:01 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Jay, I just wanted to tell you that I feel your pain! I'm still trying to find out that magic combination of products/techniques for my curls...

I find that the amounts of goop that's required during a shoot to tame curly frizziness is not a sustainable solution for an everyday look... it's expensive, of course, but it also makes my hair look too stiff! I'd rather have touchable curls than wire and brillo-like hair!

Apr 12 06 02:22 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Veena J wrote:
Jay, I just wanted to tell you that I feel your pain! I'm still trying to find out that magic combination of products/techniques for my curls...

I find that the amounts of goop that's required during a shoot to tame curly frizziness is not a sustainable solution for an everyday look... it's expensive, of course, but it also makes my hair look too stiff! I'd rather have touchable curls than wire and brillo-like hair!

I looked at your portfolio and see that you have a lot of different hair looks from strait to curly (very beautiful work by the way).  I see a couple of shots where your hair is totally strait. - Did you have a stylist or salon straiten it or did you do it yourself? 

I used a product a couple years ago that worked really well, but I have not seen it on the market for a long time. I think it had silicon in it.  I wish I remembered the name.  However, I am not sure if silicon is really an environmentally safe product.  I would like to find some natural solutions.  The last couple of months I have been using a line called "Sexy Hair" as recomended by a stylist here on MM.  It works good if I use a lot of it and if I don't touch it. - But it gets real puffy if I am in any kind of wind.  I just keep a spray bottle of water with me if I am shooting with a fan or outside.

Apr 12 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

I have super curly hair too. The biggest problem I have is keeping my hands out of it.. lol.. But I do what someone else said, put in plenty o product while wet, and let it air dry, then don't touch it. It still manages to have a rather alarming amount of body at the end of the day but everybody always compliments me on it..

I use some Garnier Hair Milk stuff in a pump bottle.. It's pretty good..

Apr 12 06 03:55 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

I looked at your portfolio and see that you have a lot of different hair looks from strait to curly (very beautiful work by the way).  I see a couple of shots where your hair is totally strait. - Did you have a stylist or salon straiten it or did you do it yourself? 

I used a product a couple years ago that worked really well, but I have not seen it on the market for a long time. I think it had silicon in it.  I wish I remembered the name.  However, I am not sure if silicon is really an environmentally safe product.  I would like to find some natural solutions.  The last couple of months I have been using a line called "Sexy Hair" as recomended by a stylist here on MM.  It works good if I use a lot of it and if I don't touch it. - But it gets real puffy if I am in any kind of wind.  I just keep a spray bottle of water with me if I am shooting with a fan or outside.

Hi Jay, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. I've done my own hair for virtually every image so far in my portfolio...it's hard to find hair stylists for shoots!  smile

With regards to straightening my hair, I do it myself: I blow dry my hair straight first, using a round boar bristle brush. Then, I use a ceramic straighening iron, straightening my hair in sections. I finish up with a silicon-based shine serum. Alternatively, I've used coconut oil (esp when I lived in India) or baby oil...just be careful not to use too much!  smile

Spritzing hair with water does wonders as a pick-me (or my hair, I should say)-up in the middle of the day and on shoots... In the meantime, my search for good curly hair products continues.

I prefer to wear my hair curly and natural as opposed to straightening it all of the time...it takes less effort (at least initially) and is a lot healthier for hair!

Apr 12 06 04:24 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think all us people with long curly hair should kindnap a team scientists to work on this problem.  I will try the coconut oil - maybe try mixing it with kelp or something with a natural varnish.  Good ideas - thanks!

Apr 12 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Physique spiral shampoo worked wondersback when i had my natraul curly hair.

offtopic.. I've got to ask..whats with the skirts?

Apr 12 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

CassandraLorien wrote:
Physique spiral shampoo worked wondersback when i had my natraul curly hair.

offtopic.. I've got to ask..whats with the skirts?

Because it's different. I'm not much for conformity.  smile

Apr 13 06 12:09 am Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Its not diffrent in scotland.

Apr 13 06 10:11 am Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Its not diffrent in scotland. Besides, being "diffrent" not to conform is the same as conforming, just be who you are.

Apr 13 06 10:13 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

CassandraLorien wrote:
Its not diffrent in scotland. Besides, being "diffrent" not to conform is the same as conforming, just be who you are.

But that's who I am. smile  I actually don't pay much attention to what's in or not.  I just make things that I like and people who are tired of the same old thing seem to like to buy them.  There are a lot of cultures around the world where men wear skirt-like garments.  And if you think about it, it actually makes more sense for men to wear this type of thing - if you know what I mean.

Back to the hair subject. I looked at your port. (great shots by the way).  Your hair is strait in all your shots. Do you straiten your hair?

Apr 13 06 11:25 am Link