Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > question for all you MUA

Model

Jenna Laine

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Hello...I'm hoping you guys can best direct me in this area...I'm gonna be doing a lot of shoots in the next few weeks, some of which do not provide a MUA, so I am going to go to the store and purchase some of my own, probably MAC stuff.  What all do I need? Also, do I need to purchase some of their foundation? I use Glo-Mineral pressed powder because it doesn't make me break out...do I need something different for on camera? Thanks!!

Apr 16 06 06:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Don't get Mac foundation for flash photography.
Try Makeup Forever for Face and Body instead, that can be purchased @ Sephora.
Or visit www.camerareadycosmetics.com for rcma or cinema secrets these are excellent for photoshoots!!!

Charissa

Apr 16 06 06:47 pm Link

Model

Jenna Laine

So you think it's okay to use the Glo-Mineral powder over the foundation?

Apr 16 06 06:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

if your "glow" product is shimmery, it might be tricky to keep your skin from looking shinny not silky. I would use a translucent powder instead of a mineral powder, I havnt used the brand your talking about but depending on what kinda look you want I would stay away from the mineral powders. smile

Apr 16 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

Jenna Laine

Thanks! The mineral powder is pretty matte but maybe just to be safe I'll get some specifically for photos.  I forgot there is a sephora store not too far from my apt...how would you rate the quality of the sephora brand shadows, eyeliners, blushes? I'm trying to get something they specifically have at the store so I can try it on and make sure it matches my coloring, etc.  Should all the eye shadows I get be matte? Like should I use any shimmer along the brow bone or stick to everything matte? Sorry for all the questions.  Still new to applying makeup for photos.

Apr 16 06 07:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Jenna Laine wrote:
Thanks! The mineral powder is pretty matte but maybe just to be safe I'll get some specifically for photos.  I forgot there is a sephora store not too far from my apt...how would you rate the quality of the sephora brand shadows, eyeliners, blushes? I'm trying to get something they specifically have at the store so I can try it on and make sure it matches my coloring, etc.  Should all the eye shadows I get be matte? Like should I use any shimmer along the brow bone or stick to everything matte? Sorry for all the questions.  Still new to applying makeup for photos.

Jenna,
Sephora brand is pretty basic and has some good stuff for an ok price- if you have questions about their specific brand they should know best ..they sell it everyday.
Another direction to go is maybe looking for local make-up artists who are doing TFP that would like to help you out. I use all types of eyeshadows it is basically just trial and error finding what works and looks best on you. If your doing your makeup yourself I would recommend investing in some eyeshadow palletes that are already color coordinated that way you can mix and match without making mistakes. Buy a good set of brushes too, every girl should have those.

Charissa

Apr 16 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Jodie Lyons

Charissa the Artist wrote:

Jenna,
Sephora brand is pretty basic and has some good stuff for an ok price- if you have questions about their specific brand they should know best ..they sell it everyday.
Another direction to go is maybe looking for local make-up artists who are doing TFP that would like to help you out. I use all types of eyeshadows it is basically just trial and error finding what works and looks best on you. If your doing your makeup yourself I would recommend investing in some eyeshadow palletes that are already color coordinated that way you can mix and match without making mistakes. Buy a good set of brushes too, every girl should have those.

Charissa

Speaking of a good set of brushes... any suggestions?

Apr 17 06 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

Jenna,

If you need a MUA to save you the trouble, I'm located in Orlando.  Just let me know:-)

Apr 17 06 11:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Jodie Lyons wrote:

Japonesque are nice, I have many in my set. I have a personal set of Coco Milan which I purchased online years ago and they are still in pristine condition. Others in my set include Paula Dorf, Laura Mercier,Alison Raffaele,Nars,Mac and Smashbox. If your using them as an artist look for quality, material and shape..if your using them for yourself and want an everyday set Sephora has some good basic brush sets that won't break your bank.

Apr 18 06 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Jodie Lyons wrote:

these are my favorites that i have in my kit:

Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush
Stila #1, 8, 11, 18, 21, 26
Mac #190, 194, 217, 224,
Laura Mercier Eye Colour Brush

I have a lot of Auraline and Make-up Designory Brushes too, they are cheap and they work. I really want to get some Shu Uemera Brushes, but I will have to wait until I can afford them.

Apr 18 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Jenna Laine

Thank you so much! I went to Sephora and got the Makeup forever foundation and concealer and I LOVE it! I never wear foundation or any real face makeup outside of modeling or work, and that stuff doesn't make me feel caked-up at all.  Goes on like velvet...just had a photoshoot with it and it made my skin look and feel AMAZING! So thank you very much for that.  I also got some mac eye shadows and a lip liner, and then I go some nice brushes from sephora.  Spent quite a bit of $ but I really needed new makeup for modeling and for my new job...I just got a full-time paid internship with the local ABC affiliate here in Tampa. But I'll be getting the photos back today in the mail from the shoot and I'll show you what I mean about the makeup forever foundation

Apr 25 06 09:26 am Link

Model

New York, New York, US

i'm not a MUA but i do a lot of my own makeup, and i really love Nars and Lorac. both are gentle and i love the shades available. i stay away from shimmer powders when possible because they can look shiny and weird when i don't expect it.

i am also inclined to tell you to NOT buy MAC now or ever, especially after reading this discussion. (long but worth reading.)

http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelat … 8817.topic

May 08 06 01:57 pm Link