Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Model

Samantha Hahn

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

Interested please

Nov 28 09 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

Dana Roshnie wrote:
Oh I'd love to hear this one. thanks in advance!

Hi Dana,
   You have nice looks but your images are way way too contrived.  There's no life in your images.  Kind of like "here I am, take my picture", where you're slumped over on some pictures and not giving off much energy.  You're not even trying the posing 101 type shots, so how do you consider yourself a model?  You say you want editorial fashion and magazine shots (same thing).  How can you see yourself as that?  Even if you had the right proportions for something like that (34-24-34), you don't have the necessary skills to do that.  And I'm not even talking about the ever elusive x-factor that you need on top of all the other qualities. 

I would say with some work on skills and lots of experience applying those skills you may be productive as a commercial model; of course depending on your dimentions, weight, age, timing (what the agency needs are at the time).

Nov 28 09 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Abbie Day wrote:
me please?

Hi Abbie,
  You've been on here since July, so I would hope you'd have more images on here.  You're a pretty girl, but need to get into a workout habit.  Being 168 pounds at 5'7" is not a good way to become a serious model.  It does take a lot of work and sacrifice for many people (then there are people that are naturally thin) so if you're on that needs to get up to snuff as they say, you'll need to put that right now as your most pressing issue.  In the mean time while you do that, start to work on your posing and expressions (basic model skills). 

Since you are 5'7", it would be more appropriate for you to go for commercial work.  Your hips though must be no larger than 36.  Remember when you go to an agency, the chances are they will measure you and if you don't make the measurement they'll tell you to come back when you have it right.

Now as for your portfolio, having mostly head shots and noticeably full length and 3/4 length shots missing except for ones that are either farther away or ones where you hide your body with your knees will certainly put a question mark in most prospective experienced photographers minds.  So as soon as you get your body under control get some good pictures of yourself that show your body.  I would say you need to come down to no more than 115 pounds to compete with other girls at your height.  I know that sounds harsh, but you're a pretty girl, so don't screw it up just because you can't discipline yourself.

Nov 28 09 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Aster Lucas wrote:
Don't have much, but would very much appreciate your input. Thanks.

See page 52 for your critique.  It's already finished.

Nov 28 09 07:04 pm Link

Model

Angie Adamson

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I'm new, but would still love to know.

Nov 28 09 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Tara DiMattio wrote:
I'm in..

Your critique is at https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=48

Nov 28 09 07:09 pm Link

Model

Meia marie

Gainesville, Virginia, US

Hm, intrested if you have time.

Nov 28 09 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Rachel Mm wrote:
me too

Hi Rachel,
  You're quite a pretty girl and have the height, looks and potentially the x-factor.  If I were you, I would get my waist size down to 24-24.5 and get the following images and walk into an agency right now:

1) Very nice clean headshot (beauty shot)
2) 3/4 and full length shots of you showing your posing and expression skills in the following wardrobe:
  a) Gowns and other formal wear.
  b) Casual wear
  c) Swimsuit

However, for your benefit you should really get better at basic skills (more angular poses and expressiveness).

Nov 28 09 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Brandon Ralph wrote:
would love to know your advice. Thanks alot!

Hi Brandon,
  You have a limitted portfolio, but from what I saw I liked.  You have good clean looks and have the height and expressiveness that I think can get you somewhere.  Why don't you try sending your books to some of the NYC or the European agencies.  I think you have the good age factor and expressivess for a male model to make it.  However, you know it's a subjective thing and hopefully you introduce yourself to an agency at the right time and place when they're looking for someone of your caliber.

Nov 28 09 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Sarah Brittney Burgess wrote:
Sure! :-)

Hi Sarah,
   I loved what I saw in your portfolio.  You certainly bring it on for being 5'0".  You have everything but height.  Your posing and expressiveness are excellent; just the type of model I like working with.

I also really like your high contrast looks, which really give your images a punch.  You have a lot of looks and expressions that any photographer could be happy with.  I'm so glad you're not doing nudies or anything like that.  You'll do well just doing what you're doing. 

Agency work is always a possiblity because you look tall in the pictures even thought you're not.  Try Wilhelmina and see if you can get in there.  I think if they see your photographs they might consider you.  I'm not sure, but it's always a possiblity perhaps in the juniors or teens. 

On here, if I were to photograph you, I'd probably do a lot of fantasy type themed shoots.  Too bad you're far away, but if you're ever in this area sometime after July of next year, I'd be more than happy to work with you on something like that.
Romel Evans

Nov 28 09 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

DreaMariaV wrote:
Hey! smile I posted on here awhile back to see if I could get critique.... and there are soooo many pages on here... I am not sure if you have done me yet or not! I am trying to sift through to find me and my critique... just wondering if you had done it and if so... what page??! haha Apparently you are extremely popular with your very insightful advice -- of which I would love to take part of!! THANKS SO MUCH!

Hi Drea,
  I finished your critique and it's on:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=52

Nov 28 09 08:02 pm Link

Model

emily caron

Boston, Massachusetts, US

i'd like to know smile

Nov 28 09 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Golden T wrote:
hey! me please!

Hi,
   I like what I saw in your work and from an overall perspective, I would say you fit into the commercial realms perfectly due your nice smile, your height (too short for fashion unless you get on with someone like Wilhelmina) and all the speaking activity that it seems you've done. 

I think being in sports as I see you are in track and field, you should do well in fitness modeling also.

To improve on what you have, you need to learn proper posing and body control in a way that is most flattering for you.  You're muscular so that tends to be a problem for some, so that's where body control comes in.  In addition, since you have a lot of curves, that may not work for fashion as they usually like someone who the clothing hangs well on.

You're a good looking girl and should do well in commercial work, so that's the direction you should head into.  Other than that, glamour (tasteful), lifestyle should work out well for you.

Nov 28 09 08:15 pm Link

Model

Nicole Duminie

me?

Nov 28 09 08:22 pm Link

Model

Dana Roshnie

New York, New York, US

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Dana,
   You have nice looks but your images are way way too contrived.  There's no life in your images.  Kind of like "here I am, take my picture", where you're slumped over on some pictures and not giving off much energy.  You're not even trying the posing 101 type shots, so how do you consider yourself a model?  You say you want editorial fashion and magazine shots (same thing).  How can you see yourself as that?  Even if you had the right proportions for something like that (34-24-34), you don't have the necessary skills to do that.  And I'm not even talking about the ever elusive x-factor that you need on top of all the other qualities. 

I would say with some work on skills and lots of experience applying those skills you may be productive as a commercial model; of course depending on your dimentions, weight, age, timing (what the agency needs are at the time).

thanks so much!

Nov 28 09 11:16 pm Link

Model

Erin Mae

New York, New York, US

I want to be represented by a top ny agency shooting editorials for idependent fashion mags

Nov 28 09 11:18 pm Link

Model

Brandon Ralph

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Brandon,
  You have a limitted portfolio, but from what I saw I liked.  You have good clean looks and have the height and expressiveness that I think can get you somewhere.  Why don't you try sending your books to some of the NYC or the European agencies.  I think you have the good age factor and expressivess for a male model to make it.  However, you know it's a subjective thing and hopefully you introduce yourself to an agency at the right time and place when they're looking for someone of your caliber.

Thanks so much! I would do so after some more tests so as to expand my portfolio. I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much!

Nov 28 09 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

HeraRaifi2 wrote:
Me?

Already completed.

Nov 29 09 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Serene Marie wrote:
I know I posted but it seems to have dissappeared,
could you critique me please. beginner but serious.

thanks

Already completed.

Nov 29 09 03:30 am Link

Model

Joshua-Dexter

Austin, Texas, US

Wasn't sure if I had posted for you already... would really like to know what you think. : )

Nov 29 09 11:42 am Link

Model

Julie Ann NYC

New York, New York, US

Interested in some feedback.  I've only had one professional shoot though.

Nov 29 09 01:07 pm Link

Model

Logan DeHart

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I wouldn't mind some feedback.

Nov 29 09 01:12 pm Link

Model

Kaylee Bendit

South Bend, Indiana, US

Go ahead

Nov 29 09 03:29 pm Link

Model

Bianca Baker

Newburgh, Indiana, US

I'd love to hear your opinion smile

Nov 29 09 03:36 pm Link

Model

Lori Ilardi

East Islip, New York, US

I think I was missed I would love to hear what you think of my portfolio. I'm new and have only had a few photo shoots. I trying to get into commercial work . Let me know If you think I have a chance.

Thanks Again Lori

Nov 30 09 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Kelli Kickham wrote:
About to hit winter break and get some shots. direction would be greatly appreciated. smile

Hey Kelli,
   This is my second try at writing a long update here, since the good ole MM, like usual screwed up and I lost everything I'd written.  I hope it works this time.  Ok, enough venting from me.

You're a good looking girl with a nice figure and you're able to pose a little bit.  I like the quality of the images in your portfolio and there's really nothing technically wrong with them.  However, after looking through all of them and your commercial pages and your video clips, I found one thing that I believe you really need to work on.   That is to bring life into your images and provide some impact.  As I said you look great in the images but one kind of leaves there without really being amazed.  I think you should always strive to create impact in what ever you do.

Well, how do you get it?  If the problem was technical, I would say the photographer would have needed more color and/or contrast in the images, however, it's not that.  You aren't showing much enthusiasm or expressiveness in the images.  The latter being one of the basic modeling skills.  If you don't have it, as you don't, your images are going to be very flat and luke warm at best. 

So, I'd suggest learning about properly expressing yourself for the given concepts and applying in your shoots.  Having the same serious look just doesn't do it.  You have to look sultry in some, where you have to look scared or angry in others...and you do it with your eyes or more correcly with the top half of your face.  Watch Americas Next Top Model and see how Tyra does it...she calls it Smizing (smiling with eyes). 

You have to take a chance to look goofy before you get good.  And enthusiasm is of utmost importance, otherwise, you're going to bore yourself into bad images and you're going to rub off on the photographer so he's not going to do things with enthusiasm as he should.

Dec 09 09 02:37 am Link

Model

Alisha Ali J

Covington, Tennessee, US

I"m not sure if I was skipped or just not gotten to yet..sad

Dec 09 09 01:57 pm Link

Model

JacRose

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm still expanding my port....what do you think?

Dec 09 09 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Sorry I've been away for a while. The burnout factor took hold of me smile  I've had some rest and am ready to do this again. 

Jan 06 10 10:21 am Link

Model

L I L I T H

New York, New York, US

Let me know what you think! smile

Jan 06 10 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Lisa Wilson wrote:
I would love to hear your honest opinion! Thank you!

Hi Lisa,
   You're the first one that I'm reviewing following a long layoff, so I hope I don't disappoint.  First thing I noticed from your images is that they have a redish or yellow cast to them.  You probably need to informt the photographer to first of all ensure that they have their monitor calibrated and ensure that the images that they give you for web fall into the sRGB color space.

Let's start with your looks:

Physically you seem like the type that would certainly work out in the commercial areas.  Although being 31 would prohibit you in most cases of getting with a big agency.  You'll probably be able to land something with a local agency.  I know you said you did some work back a few years, so maybe that will help, but you'll probably be doing more catalog work if I'm guessing right.  You certainly are pretty with a very nice smile and have very nice hair, which are all very good commercial qualities.  You're have a nice figure but in some you look bigger than the rest, I'm not sure why.  Try to duplicate the smaller images in your posing and you should be ok.  However, not to skip the obvious, I would recomment some toning.   You have very nice legs, so I would try to use them to your advantage.

Now for skills:

Honestly I didn't see any big skills in your images.  Maybe you have the skills but aren't showing them in your portfolio.  I would expect someone with experience to have the skills though as far as fashion is concerned and again that's why I think commercial is the way for you.   You have the sweet nice looks that would fit the commercial realms.  Now, if you wanted to do more, I'd strongly suggest being more edgy in your upcoming shoots.  That is if you want to show a bit of variety.  You don't have to go way out but a bit of edginess should give your books a bit of pop.

Jan 06 10 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Kristy Castellan wrote:
Me please & thankyou smile

Hi Kristy,
  Quickly, you need to be more expressive that's for sure.  I see just one look in all the images, giving you a modeling 101 look.  Learn to use your eyes to create expressions.

In addition, the poses seem a bit static and need to show more movement.  Basically what i'm saying is your need to enhance your basic skills as a model if you want to succeed.

I would also recommend that you don't include others in your images.  It takes away from you.  Unless there's a big need, especially in fashion and commercial areas, refrain from group shots. 

Right now you're headed to the swimsuit / Glamour area.  It should do well for you if you get better at the basic skills.  If you want to venture into the other areas, you need to learn the required poses for those genres.  Each have their own type of poses.  I'd suggest more subtlness in the sexiness area since you're already fairly sexy, you need to bring it down a bit and make the same impression using your smiles and eye contact rather than just raw body shots.  Think of a librarian climbing a ladder (very classic, but sexy).

Also you may want to fix this spelling problem in your profile:

... ideas and ofcorse always ...

Jan 06 10 11:02 am Link

Model

Centia Rose

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

Go on then smile

Jan 06 10 11:04 am Link

Model

Samantha Williamson

Altoona, Florida, US

A critique from you would be great:)

Jan 06 10 11:06 am Link

Model

Lisa Wilson

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Lisa,
   You're the first one that I'm reviewing following a long layoff, so I hope I don't disappoint.  First thing I noticed from your images is that they have a redish or yellow cast to them.  You probably need to informt the photographer to first of all ensure that they have their monitor calibrated and ensure that the images that they give you for web fall into the sRGB color space.

Let's start with your looks:

Physically you seem like the type that would certainly work out in the commercial areas.  Although being 31 would prohibit you in most cases of getting with a big agency.  You'll probably be able to land something with a local agency.  I know you said you did some work back a few years, so maybe that will help, but you'll probably be doing more catalog work if I'm guessing right.  You certainly are pretty with a very nice smile and have very nice hair, which are all very good commercial qualities.  You're have a nice figure but in some you look bigger than the rest, I'm not sure why.  Try to duplicate the smaller images in your posing and you should be ok.  However, not to skip the obvious, I would recomment some toning.   You have very nice legs, so I would try to use them to your advantage.

Now for skills:

Honestly I didn't see any big skills in your images.  Maybe you have the skills but aren't showing them in your portfolio.  I would expect someone with experience to have the skills though as far as fashion is concerned and again that's why I think commercial is the way for you.   You have the sweet nice looks that would fit the commercial realms.  Now, if you wanted to do more, I'd strongly suggest being more edgy in your upcoming shoots.  That is if you want to show a bit of variety.  You don't have to go way out but a bit of edginess should give your books a bit of pop.

I want to thank you so very much for taking the time to sit down and give me all the information you did. It was all excellent, and I appreciate it very much! You gave me some very helpful information, (Example: the color cast in my images!) and I will definately be giving that info to my photographers! Once again, THANK YOU very much! Have a wonderful and blessed day!

Jan 06 10 02:05 pm Link

Model

D_Romeo Ortenzi

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Let me know! thank you... and wow this is such a long thread?!

Jan 06 10 03:03 pm Link

Model

Angela Lauren

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'd love a critique from you smile

Jan 06 10 03:29 pm Link

Model

AndreasMb

Saint-Louis, Alsace, France

I'd like a point of you on my body&face cause i don't feel i have yet done what i want to show on my picture and just starting thanks:)

Jan 06 10 03:33 pm Link

Model

Nichole Hopkins

Los Angeles, California, US

I really enjoyed your portfolio and would love a critique.

Jan 06 10 05:59 pm Link

Model

Kate Baxter

Houston, Texas, US

Me Please! smile

Jan 06 10 08:04 pm Link