Forums > Photography Talk > A thread for us new photographer

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

well i my self am new to photography, i have no disire to go pro, i want to be free lance, i have seen alot of the photographers on here are well established and was hoping people could pass on some advise for those of us that know nothing... i.e. me

Apr 19 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Shoot shooot shoot shoot study shoot shoot shoot after 100,000 images you should have an idea of where you want to go

Apr 19 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by Hugh Jorgen: 
Shoot shooot shoot shoot study shoot shoot shoot after 100,000 images you should have an idea of where you want to go

So finding one's way is equal to about the life of an average shutter assembly...  Interresting...  :-)

Actually, it's good advice Hugh has given.. Shoot much and become more critical of your work.. You will see improvement and wonder what the hell you were thinking when you start looking back at your early stuff. And as for studing, try assisting a local photographer; hands on is always better then the textbook.. 

Apr 19 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Keith Baumbaugh: 

Posted by Hugh Jorgen: 

So finding one's way is equal to about the life of an average shutter assembly...  Interresting...  :-)

Actually, it's good advice Hugh has given.. Shoot much and become more critical of your work.. You will see improvement and wonder what the hell you were thinking when you start looking back at your early stuff. And as for studing, try assisting a local photographer; hands on is always better then the textbook..   

Great point keith

I made it to 130,00 before my shutter blew..lol

Apr 19 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

thanks for the advise i have already e-mailed 2 photographers in my area im intrested in shooting models and i was wondering how to brake in to that area of photography thanks once agen..

Apr 19 05 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Yeah, well, personally, I like to play, play, play, play, play. Photography gives you the opportunity to play with grown up toys. Have fun. Learn your rig inside and out. teach it how to bark. Make projects to challenge s***ty lighting or situations. Make it a game and pretty soon you can fire anything.

Oh, and as for breaking in to model shooting. Well, as loathe as I am to it, do some TFP with aspiring models. Collaborate towards the goal of world domination. Uh, something like that.

Apr 19 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I guess my post turned out more like real work..ok Play play play

Apr 19 05 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

and here is where i sound like an idot... what is TFP? and the other ones i have heard lol

Apr 19 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

TFP=Time For Print

Apr 19 05 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

time for print.. ok but what does it mean?

Apr 19 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

TFP = WFF, or Work For Free.  It's a terrible thing...
Don't do TFP if it's not a project you're stoked about.  It's not worth it.
The best way to become a good photographer is to drink a lot of scotch.  It's way more mature than beer.

Apr 19 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

haha well right now i just need the experinse... i will be the first to admit im not worth paying for... yet.. but its all good once i start geting expernse i will get a portpholio and then i will take it from there... thanks

Apr 19 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Even if you're new to it, don't work for free unless it benefits you.  You'll find the most irritating "customers" are the ones who aren't really customers... they're the people who need a "favor".  They're generally the ones who call you twice a day asking if their stuff is ready yet, when they know you have a full workload of paying clients to take care of.  If you're new and you don't have paying clients, odds are you have a job of some sort and have to worry about rent, just like everyone else.  But the freeloaders never seem to understand that... "I don't understand why it's not ready yet... it's been 3 days".

Apr 19 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

lol im in the army, right now this is just a hobby and i hope to work my way to freelance, i dont have a studio and dont want to realy work in one my main thing is having fun and improving my work... and i have alot to improve lol

Apr 19 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Michael,

As you're shooting shooting and shooting, learn the basics of how your camera works and what the settings mean and what they do. The most important thing to learn is lighting, if your lighting is off it can ruin a beautiful image no how good it looks thru the viewfinder or is setup. I've been published in 2 major international photography books on lighting models, lighting is the main key to every shot, learn it first.

Basic Studio lighting is not that hard to learn but outdoors you don't control the lighting since it's constantly changing, it basically controls you and how you work with whatever it gives you. Shoot outdoors as much as possible, you'll have no choice but to learn lighting.

Shooting whenever you get the chance is great, hands on is the best method of learning but learn your camera like it's an extension of your hand, you shouldn't have to think about nothing else except taking your shot. It doesn't look cool at all during a shoot if your constantly fumbling with your camera to see your doing things right.

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 19 05 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

My previous comment about scotch... that's the most important part.
But shooting (a lot) is a close runner-up.  And having fun while you shoot is the only way to make it worthwhile.
If it's a hobby for now, shoot what you love and what you know.  And when it's not a hobby anymore, shoot what you love and what you know.  That's the key... shoot what you love and what you know.  Don't try to be what you're not as a photographer, because it will probably be blaringly obvious to the audience that you know nothing.

Apr 19 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

But what if you don't drink or don't like scotch? Is there an alternative?

Apr 19 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Nope.
There is no alternative.
None whatsoever.
Drinking scotch is the ONLY way.

Apr 19 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Never underestimate the medicinal value of Jaeger and Red Bull. it even tastes like medecine!

Apr 19 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

If it tastes like medicine, there's no way it's good for you.

Apr 19 05 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Michael.h.west: 
well i my self am new to photography, i have no disire to go pro, i want to be free lance, i have seen alot of the photographers on here are well established and was hoping people could pass on some advise for those of us that know nothing... i.e. me 

Don't let folks intimidate you.  If everything every photographer said on here was true than they are all making seven figures taking pictures, have never paid a model, all own $50000 worth of equipment, never do TFP, regularly get supermodels paying them to shoot them, have 10 inch members, etc.

Plus you got something going for you that is invaluable: a desire to learn!

-Jose

Apr 20 05 02:45 am Link

Photographer

David Christopher Lee

Los Angeles, California, US

i want to assist some photogs!  anybody in LA or OC want me to assist them?

Apr 20 05 03:06 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

Yes shoot, shoot, shoot

Not a damn thing wrong with TFP, that anti-TFP photog has been on that rant on several different message boards. It DOES benefit you.

Yes, learn about the camera, there are books, videos, and classes everywhere!

I personal drink wine during a shoot...wine classy...models think wine is classy and harmless and it essentially is and it relaxes the two of you, esp if you're shooting art nudes.

LASTLY, and I'm guessing few will mention this, learn the HISTORY of photography. Learn about the people, the artists, their techniques, there's a message board on here asking "Who's your favorite photographer?" Go there, write down the names, look them up online, look at their work. You do NOT have to like their work, but know about it..And I'd even tell you to go further and learn the history of Art. All photography is at its core is an extention of painting, drawing, etching, etc. Again, books, videos, courses, it's all out there. It'll give you a greater appreciation of what's good/bad, allow you to speak with people who know their s***, and best of all inspire your own creativity.

Apr 20 05 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Jose- JoseOnline.com: 

Don't let folks intimidate you.  If everything every photographer said on here was true than they are all making seven figures taking pictures, have never paid a model, all own $50000 worth of equipment, never do TFP, regularly get supermodels paying them to shoot them, have 10 inch members, etc.

-Jose

Intimidated? Michael, has anyone here intimidated you in such a way that makes you want to trash your camera?

Talk about a frustrated part timer. (sorry, was that derogatory?) I know many great one's, and with professional attitudes.

You've contributed absolutely nothing to answering Michael's question and you're way out of line making derogatory insults to those posting here of which you obviously know little about. Grow up, if you want people to backup any claims they've made you ask like a normal person, not act like a raving lunatic. Everyone works differently in this industry according to the factors involved. I think Michael is smart enough to make decisions based on what suits him best, not you. You've only caused more confusion than help with off the wall unrelated rude comments. You have not reached the level where you can be judgemental of anyone.

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 20 05 05:20 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Michael,

Just by using the word pro doesn't make you a pro or understanding what it takes to make it in the business. First a driven passion for shooting is where we all got our start in photography. Also defining the word freelance is just another form of pro, once you make money at it. Study everything you can non-stop all the time and don't think just becasue you reach old age like me it doesn;t stop being an enjoyment. I enjoy photography more today than 28yrs ago. Try to define your own style and stay true to the ideas of beig a creative and not just shooting for the sake of it. Yes! You are finnding tons of shooters here that even blow my mind at what they do...ask questions of everyone of them, remember we all know the same things...enjoy it

Apr 20 05 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 

Michael,

Just by using the word pro doesn't make you a pro or understanding what it takes to make it in the business. First a driven passion for shooting is where we all got our start in photography. Also defining the word freelance is just another form of pro, once you make money at it. Study everything you can non-stop all the time and don't think just becasue you reach old age like me it doesn;t stop being an enjoyment. I enjoy photography more today than 28yrs ago. Try to define your own style and stay true to the ideas of beig a creative and not just shooting for the sake of it. Yes! You are finnding tons of shooters here that even blow my mind at what they do...ask questions of everyone of them, remember we all know the same things...enjoy it

Ok the girls wont leave so one last post..
in all my years of photography i have never studied another photographers work..sure ive looked at a couple photos here and there ..but ive tried to shoot with my mind what i see..
Just try to be you not someone else

Hugh

Apr 20 05 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Hugh Jorgen: 

Posted by Alex Alexander: 

Michael,

Ok the girls wont leave so one last post..
in all my years of photography i have never studied another photographers work..sure ive looked at a couple photos here and there ..but ive tried to shoot with my mind what i see..
Just try to be you not someone else

Hugh

I know of many that have copied the work of others thinking it was the easiest way. They improved quickly from copying the exact styles, lighting etc. of others. The problem with this cookie cutter learning is everyone's pics look the same and the photogs work becomes indistinguishable as relating to them when viewing their work.

Gary

Apr 20 05 06:16 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

I've just been shooting for 3 years now and discovered lighting is the most important thing, at least in my photography. Lighting sets the mood. Cause I am still learning about lighting, there has been so many times I look at pictures and say to myself "Man, these pictures suck" You get frustrated. But then, you might adjust your lighting,tweak your camera a little and then take a picture.
And there, before your eyes, you see something beautiful.
Then of course, you repeat the cycle.

Apr 20 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

sorry whent to bed and i saw all these great posts, thanks people they are all helpfull and the lighting seems to be the bigest issue i think i can spot a good pix just want to get some advise witch i have from everyone thanks.. now just need to tag along with some photographers and get some hands on expernse thanks

Apr 20 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Okay, last tidbit to say...2 things

lighting - learn it - especially challenging (meaning s***ty) situations - your light meter is your freind - gaffer's tape it to your grill and absorb it's knowledge through osmosis if you have to, but learn to love metering

good glass - ask around, people will tell you the same thing, I'm still mourning the untimely demise of my 50mm f1 (RIP)

Apr 20 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Brian Kim: 
Okay, last tidbit to say...2 things

lighting - learn it - especially challenging (meaning s***ty) situations - your light meter is your freind - gaffer's tape it to your grill and absorb it's knowledge through osmosis if you have to, but learn to love metering

good glass - ask around, people will tell you the same thing, I'm still mourning the untimely demise of my 50mm f1 (RIP)

Bummer Brian dont you hate that!!

Apr 20 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lots of great bits of wisdom being shared here.  For what it is worth, I would say the following:

Find a style you like.  This is some of the fun part.  Rip through this website and find people's images that work for you, for that matter also make a note of the stuff that doesn't.  This can help you with your shooting style or at least where you do or do not wish to go with it.  If you find some, most photogs would be glad to give bits of technical or setup advice if you ask nicely and stroke their ego abit.

Also, check out all the magazines, not just FHM and Maxim, but try Vogue and Cosmo.

Don't be afraid to experiement and take the time to examine your images when you are done.  And do so carefully.  Sometimes that is hard to do when you play, play and play.  500-1000 images is a lot to look at with out wanting to kill the mailman.

Finally, two keys (in my eyes) know your equipment!  If you don't, who will?  Certainly no the model!!  Get to know your lighting!  Huge if you want to get a pleasing image.

I took the low tech approach, hopefully it is helpful on some level.

Apr 20 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Glamour Studio: 

Posted by Jose- JoseOnline.com: 

-Jose

Intimidated? Michael, has anyone here intimidated you in such a way that makes you want to trash your camera?

Talk about a frustrated part timer. (sorry, was that derogatory?) I know many great one's, and with professional attitudes.

You've contributed absolutely nothing to answering Michael's question and you're way out of line making derogatory insults to those posting here of which you obviously know little about. Grow up, if you want people to backup any claims they've made you ask like a normal person, not act like a raving lunatic. Everyone works differently in this industry according to the factors involved. I think Michael is smart enough to make decisions based on what suits him best, not you. You've only caused more confusion than help with off the wall unrelated rude comments. You have not reached the level where you can be judgemental of anyone.

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Yup, I think I was pretty right on giving advice of saying dont let people intimidate ya.  Your honor, I rest my case.

After you have settled down, I believe you will see my clearly facetious post was meant as a reply to the people on these boards who assail new photographers for doing TFP or for paying a model, etc.

Regards,
-Jose

Apr 20 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I still say don't shoot for free if the images will do nothing for you. 
I also say f*** lighting, f*** your equipment, and f*** never looking at anyone else's work.
I have a friend.  He's a computer programmer who wants to move into photography.  His job has paid handsomely, and he's had the ability to purchase every goddamned photographic toy you could imagine... full studio with lighting on a grid from his ceiling, super high-end cameras ranging from 35 to 8x10 - basically, he's got all the toys you could ever want.  And he knows his toys inside and out.  He's a technical f***ing wizard.  If by random chance you ever need to know where oranges fall in kelvin degrees... call him.  He could tell you without looking it up.  He knows his tech.
And he can't shoot for s***.  He's got no vision.
All the equipment and technical know-how in the world will never make him (or anyone else) a worthwhile shooter.
He can strip girls naked and light them as well as anyone, but in the end it's just well-lit, perfectly exposed eye-candy.
So f*** equipment.
Terry Richardson shot a Gucci campaign with a $300 Yashica T3 on grocery store film.
David LaChappelle couldn't light his own s*** to save his life - that's why his first assistant is salaried at six-figures a year...
I'm not saying it's not important to know your tech, because it is.  The more you can keep in house, the more you'll keep for yourself.  Just don't let tech become the ruling factor over your imagery.
Because tech is boring.
What makes imagery worth looking at is the narrative.  What does your work say?  It doesn't have to be an earth-shaking social or political statement, but it needs to say more than "here's a chick with her tits falling out".
And that's why you look at others work.  Study art history.  Study other photographers.  Study painters.  Study graphic designers.  Study architecture.  Study philosophy.  Study anything... just reach outside of yourself a bit.
If you want to shoot professionally, YOUR VISION is the only thing you have to sell.  It's your product.  Any monkey can push a button.  Any jackass can be taught to meter a scenario and expose it properly.  The only thing you have over the other guy is your vision.
And if you don't want to shoot professionally, you will still benefit tremendously from wanting to do more than expose film.  Hell, I've seen soccor mom's improve their family snapshots by simply asking themselves what story they want their imagery to tell.
I know that got long fast.  And I don't really intend for anyone to take the time to read it.  But it had to be said.
Tech is worthless without vision.

Apr 20 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Jose,

Ok, I'm settled. Sorry I came on like I did. It didn't seem like something you would say but I now understand with your explaination the reason behind it. Possibly if worded a bit differently I wouldn't have missed that one particular point when reading it.

But I still fail to see any intimidation. Michael's last post shows that he did gain some knowledge, was grateful and not intimidated. He's in the US Armed Forces and I doubt easily intimidated. I cannot agree on the intimidation part of your statement.

Regards,
Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 20 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

My $.02 worth.....

You should be familiar your equipment.
You should be familiar with lighting.
You should study the world around you before you pick up your camera.
Anyone can point and shoot and maybe get one good shot out of twenty.

When possible expand your tools, camera equipment, computer equipment for editing (if using digital and some film) printing capabilities etc...

But above all have fun with what your doing or you won't want to be doing it for long....

Then with time, you will know your equipment, you will know your lighting and you will start to understand the visual world around you.

And then maybe you'll get four or five good shots out of fifty

:-P

Apr 20 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Good post Thomas.

Hey Steve, you're drinking that scotch again aren't you?

Apr 21 05 01:10 am Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

Honestly.... I had very little in the way of training when I first started photography.  Where I really learned was from working TFP with other learning models.  I'm still learning and branching out and I think thats what it really takes. 

You need to be innovative.  It doesn't take a lot of fancy equipment or extreme technical know-how, it just takes creativity. 

I photograph in a 5x10 area of my apartment with fabric from jo-ann fabrics push pinned to my wall.  (My landlords hate me).  I have a strobe light now, but before that I had construction work lights and before that I was using 100 watt bulbs. smile

My personal suggestion is learn the basics and then find a likewise creative model that you work well with and explode ideas.  If your photos don't come out the way you like them, then keep trying.  Don't ever be satisfied. smile

Apr 21 05 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Posted by Glamour Studio: 
Good post Thomas.

Hey Steve, you're drinking that scotch again aren't you? 

Thanks....

Apr 21 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

MrStarbucks

San Diego, California, US

I am also new to Photography.  I have been doing some lighting experiments since I got a new flash and have been having so much fun figuring out what works best.  However I'm in need of models and test subjects.  I'm also looking for other Photographer's willing to get together to train in the San Diego area.

Apr 23 05 02:27 pm Link