Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Day rates for a new to the biz MUA

Makeup Artist

Nelia2

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Hello eveyone,
I was hoping some of you could help me with a question. I've been in the makeup biz for over 5 years but, most of that time has been spent with a certain makeup company. My wage has always come from them for any of my work.
I am being aproached more and more to do freelancing on my own. I welcome the oppertunity to work more often but I am unsure as to what to charge.
I am currently building my book, so I have mostly done TFP/CD. I have been recently been asked to work on some paid shoots and been asked as to what my rates are.
Would anyone be able to tell me what some resonable rates are?
I do makeup as well as hair (if needed).
Thanks for your help:)

May 12 06 11:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

Rates vary by market. I would ask someone locally.

May 13 06 01:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christine Copeland

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think a lot depends on the clients and their budgets.  It is never a bad idea to ask their budget when they contact you.  The fact you can do hair is always a plus.  If you want to work with them you can always say "my normal rate is ..... but I would like to work with you,.. so...."

The busier you are, the easier it becomes to turn down low paying jobs.  There is also sometimes the perception that "expensive means good" but if you don't perform they probably will not hire you again.

I charge different rates for model portfolios than commercial or editorial however I try to keep my minimum at a rate high enough to somewhat ease and counter the affect of losing good paying jobs because I have already accepted a lower rate booking for that date.

May 14 06 06:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nelia2

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Thank you both for your response. I will definately keep what you have said in mind. I'm going to try to research my area a little more and ask a few more questions when asked for my rates.

May 14 06 07:38 pm Link