Forums > Photography Talk > Best place to shoot at South Beach?

Photographer

2hotbrazil

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

I've been to South Beach many times but never done a shoot there. I will be there in a couple of weeks and I am looking for some tips where I could shoot with a model. Looking to some bikini and some topless stuff.

Jan 22 14 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

2hotbrazil wrote:
I've been to South Beach many times but never done a shoot there. I will be there in a couple of weeks and I am looking for some tips where I could shoot with a model. Looking to some bikini and some topless stuff.

good luck doing topless photos at a public beach in the USA.
the USA's only public nude beach is just north of Miami,
at Haulover beach. Not like you can just go there and do nude photos though.

Jan 22 14 10:51 am Link

Photographer

2hotbrazil

AaronPawlak wrote:

South Beach is topless. I've been there many times

Jan 22 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Hmmm, people in New York........ whadda ya gonna say....... You know how we tell the models from New York here in South Beach? They have tan lines.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1jade5793fs.jpg
Shot on South Beach, I was not topless but the model clearly was!

South Beach is not in the United States, it is the southern tip of Miami Beach, which is not a beach in Miami, but an island off the coast of Florida. We get Fashion TV on our regular cable and if you live in the U.S., you don't. All true, except the not being in the United States thingie, but close enough. We have bumper stickers that say: "When the last American leaves Miami, will you please bring the flag?"

In South Beach you (and models!) can go topless on the beach, except for me. I have to wear all my clothes because of an incident involving people from Green Peace trying to roll me back into the water. It got ugly.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1caseylynn5791fscrop.jpg
I shot this at Virginia Key. I really like to shoot there, but the best time is low tide.

Virginia Key is a great place to shoot because there are fewer people there. You have to turn down the road towards the Water Treatment Plant, and look for beach access off on your right. Crandon Park (Key Biscayne) has always been a problem for me because I find the permit people to be overly aggressive.

I love South Beach (but I'm not crazy about Green Peace).

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jan 22 14 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

AaronPawlak wrote:

Lighthouse Beach on Fire Island isn't nude friendly anymore, but I believe Gunnison Beach in Sandy Hook still is.

Jan 22 14 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

2hotbrazil

what about south pointe?

Jan 22 14 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Anywhere on the beach from 10th street south and especially south pointe park at the southern tip. If you shoot on the jetties at government cut they probably won't bother you as the cops don't like getting out there because of the salt water spray. Nudity, including topless, is illegal but because of the European tourist business the police look the other way.  If it looks like a commercial shoot you may have more trouble explaining why you don't have a permit than why she is topless.

Jan 22 14 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

John Fisher wrote:
South Beach is not in the United States, it is the southern tip of Miami Beach, which is not a beach in Miami, but an island off the coast of Florida. We get Fashion TV on our regular cable and if you live in the U.S., you don't. All true, except the not being in the United States thingie, but close enough. We have bumper stickers that say: "When the last American leaves Miami, will you please bring the flag?"

You had me googling South Beach.
Hard to read through your not-in-the-usa joke.

It's in the USA, and Miami.
I don't get the bumper sticker joke,
but when I was at South Beach/Miami I had native Spanish speaker with me,
otherwise I'd have been lost.

Jan 27 14 10:05 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

AaronPawlak wrote:
You had me googling South Beach.
Hard to read through your not-in-the-usa joke.

It's in the USA, and Miami.
I don't get the bumper sticker joke,
but when I was at South Beach/Miami I had native Spanish speaker with me,
otherwise I'd have been lost.

Just for clarification, South Beach is not a real place, it is how we locals refer to the southern tip of the city of Miami Beach (roughly everything south of 23rd street). I live in South Beach, my address is Miami Beach.

And just to further clarify for you, Miami Beach (and therefore South Beach) is not Miami. Not only are they separate cities (with their own political structure), but Miami is completely on the mainland of the Florida peninsula, and Miami Beach is on an island off the coast of Florida, separated from the mainland by Biscayne Bay. There are four causeways that connect the island of Miami Beach to the mainland of Florida.

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/miamibeachmap.gif

Culturally Miami Beach and Miami are quite different. While I have never had an issue in Miami Beach as an "English only" speaker, there are significant parts of Miami/Dade where I would be at a significant disadvantage.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jan 27 14 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

David_Ramos

Miami, Florida, US

Miami Beach is fairly photographer friendly.  Permits are really intended for larger productions.  I have inquired in the past and they are not needed for non-commercial shoots or student projects even if you have significant equipment.   

The requirements for who needs a permit are listed here https://secure.miamibeachfl.gov/cmbfilm … epage.aspx

"WHO NEEDS A PERMIT?

Film and Print permits are required for individuals or businesses wishing to conduct commercial film, television, video, photography and all other media use projects taking place on public property, at residential locations, when city services are required or when productions may have an impact on traffic/residents/city services."

If you do need one on Miami Beach:

"OPTION B:
If your production will film exclusively within the City of Miami Beach and will not utilize Miami-Dade County services, you may request a permit using the City of Miami Beach Film and Print Permit Online Application. There is no application fee or permit fee associated with the Miami Beach Film and Print Permit Application. "

Jan 28 14 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

John Fisher wrote:
Just for clarification, South Beach is not a real place

I have been there.  It is actually a surreal place.

Jan 28 14 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

AaronPawlak wrote:

Not so! There's another nude beach in Hawaii. smile

Jan 28 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

AaronPawlak wrote:

unbelievable. Never heard of Gunnison Beach right near you?!?

Jan 28 14 09:50 pm Link