Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > NFL Anthem Rules

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

At a recent owners meeting, and without a vote, the ownership decided that if a team has players who take a knee during the Star Spangled Banner will be punished with a fine and/or a 15 yard penalty.

Thoughts?

I think it's disgusting...
...  You can't protect free speech without also protecting unpopular free speech (within limits).
...  To me, there is nothing more patriotic than protest.
...  The protest is about racial inequality & specifically the alarming number of unarmed minorities being
     shot by the police,
...  The protest is not intended to be disrespectful to the flag or the people in the Armed Services.

That being said, I also think that this protest is a poor one because it's actions are open to interpretation and because it doesn't address the source of the discontent.  The 1960 whites-only lunch counter protest was much more direct & much more difficult to "spin".

So again, thoughts?  What do you think or wish the players to do?

May 26 18 07:56 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

It's corporate slavery.  While the corporation pays the players, the players need to represent the corporation in a good light.  Political expression and freedom of speech is suspended while they're being paid.

It's not a unique situation.  Corporations dictate what their employees say and do on-line, sometimes demanding that employees hand over Facebook and Twitter passwords as a condition of their employment.

May 26 18 08:18 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Seems the public made their own protest of not wanting to listen to the players protests, and the NFL listened.

I'm tired of listening to the pre/during/and post game show sports commentators going on about "So and so is taking a knee" or not, and then listening to their diatribe instead of being entertained by the game.  Leave their dribble for the radio and TV interview shows outside the entertainment venue.

Same goes for singers, concerts, and plays where I buy the ticket to be entertained and not listen to some public opinion commentator that I could have listened to on any Sunday morning.  If I want to know their thoughts, I can get it off their Twitter feed, blog, news, or whatever.  With the 50-50 political party split, they stand to lose half their fans and income if they are stupid enough to try it at a venue (e.g. Insert The Dixie Chicks or Colin Kaepernick here.).

"Just shut up and sing!" or "Shut up and play ball!"  If not, I'll spend my money elsewhere to be entertained.

May 26 18 08:37 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
At a recent owners meeting, and without a vote, the ownership decided that if a team has players who take a knee during the Star Spangled Banner will be punished with a fine and/or a 15 yard penalty.

Thoughts?

I think it's disgusting...
...  You can't protect free speech without also protecting unpopular free speech (within limits).
...  To me, there is nothing more patriotic than protest.
...  The protest is about racial inequality & specifically the alarming number of unarmed minorities being
     shot by the police,
...  The protest is not intended to be disrespectful to the flag or the people in the Armed Services.

That being said, I also think that this protest is a poor one because it's actions are open to interpretation and because it doesn't address the source of the discontent.  The 1960 whites-only lunch counter protest was much more direct & much more difficult to "spin".

So again, thoughts?  What do you think or wish the players to do?

This thread on Memorial weekend. Wow, just wow.

May 26 18 08:48 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

But it is....

Those who do not want to stand for Our National Anthem may remain in the locker room. Football is a team sport and no place for an individuals political agenda. IMO the consequences of not standing, which is disrespectful, aren't tough enough.  .

May 26 18 08:50 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

All they have to do is stand on the field, which is required, but I bet some turn their back in form of protest...

May 26 18 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

May 26 18 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

hbutz New York wrote:
It's corporate slavery.  While the corporation pays the players, the players need to represent the corporation in a good light.  Political expression and freedom of speech is suspended while they're being paid.

Y'know -- I thought about that.  On one hand, those players are wearing the team uniforms, and if I was an owner, I might ask players to wear a cloak or a blanket to cover the uniform while they are taking a knee.  On the other hand, 21st century slavery (or more accurately, racial inequality) is possibly at the heart of this dispute.  Suppose the "owners" required "their" players to pray to Jesus Christ?  Suppose the "owners" required "their" to vote a certain way?

I'll go back to a comment from my OP -- this is an imperfect protest because it isn't against the NFL, the owners, the fans, the flag, and/or the military.  It's a muddled protest.

GRMACK wrote:
Seems the public made their own protest of not wanting to listen to the players protests, and the NFL listened.

I'm tired of listening to the pre/during/and post game show sports commentators going on about "So and so is taking a knee" or not, ...

"Just shut up and sing!" or "Shut up and play ball!"  If not, I'll spend my money elsewhere to be entertained.

Yeah, the NFL could have required the broadcasters not to show the sidelines during the anthem.  But no -- they sought to stifle the opinions of some of their employees.

What Fun Productions wrote:

Seems to me to be a perfect time, honoring all those fallen heroes who died to preserve our freedom of speech.  In addition, the owners made it the news of this weekend.

May 26 18 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What about this?
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33553734_2450737741603856_6762340778220978176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c32d02b1c171875cba191f3f7832873&oe=5B7B686A

May 26 18 10:05 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Professional athletes are not in business for themselves.  While they are in uniform and at the stadium, they should check their free speech at the door.  They are representing the team and not themselves.  I'm sure this kind of restriction applies to Home Depot and IKEA employees and just about everyone else who is part of something larger while at work.  Having to be present and stand for the national anthem is not unreasonable. 

That said, I don't know why it's traditional to have patriotic displays at sporting events.  Broadway musicals and TED talks don't begin with the national anthem.  This kind of forced patriotism seems more like something that a weak country (like North Korea) needs to do.  Maybe the NFL should just start the game without it.

May 26 18 10:19 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What about this?
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33553734_2450737741603856_6762340778220978176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c32d02b1c171875cba191f3f7832873&oe=5B7B686A

False.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tim-t … el-anthem/

May 26 18 11:19 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BTW showing disrespect for the flag and what it stands for is in NO WAY honoring the fallen soldiers.

That is BS spin.

May 26 18 11:20 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think a better solution for the NFL would be everyone is on the field for the National anthem, however if you chose to show disrespect, you are not allowed to play that game.

You get paid, you just don't play.

May 26 18 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

BTW showing disrespect for the flag and what it stands for is in NO WAY honoring the fallen soldiers.

That is BS spin.

That's an opinion & not a fact.  As has been stated by the players, the intent was a statement against racial inequality & police brutality against minorities and was not intended to be disrespectful to the flag. 

And as many a veteran has stated, they fought for people's right to protest & to enjoy peaceful free speech.

Trying to make the players' kneeling about the flag and/or about disrespecting veterans -- that's the BS spin.

And yes, that's my opinion (and the stated opinion of the players doing the kneeling).

On other topics -- thanks for the fact-check on the Tebow meme.

Also, "don't stand / don't play" -- that's abhorrent.  That's something I'd expect from North Korea.  And that part where they still get paid but they just don't play -- what becomes of the NFL if a significant number of the big stars decide to sit for a game or three? 

One final opinion:  those who can't tolerate people with alternate points of view are a large part of this whole problem.

May 26 18 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

The owners should get out and kneel with their team. It's a good cause -- ending murder by police. The kneeling intends NO disrespect towards the flag, the anthem, our servicemen*. These are all things "interested parties" are projecting on the players to try to take the wind out of their protest.

* the purpose of the kneeling has been laid out by the players; it is no secret.

May 26 18 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

What ever the OPs opinions, and that is all they are; (by the way they are free to have such opinions) the actions of those millionaires protesting their grievances by showing disrespect to the flag, and our anthem and the 100s of thousands men and women who served and paid the ultimate sacrifice for this nation, is the reason I stopped watching NFL football.  Say what they will their actions speak louder than words.

The NFL as a business has a right to determine how their players dress, and behave during any game.  If they determine that players should stand, let them stand or suffer the consequences.  I could care less who plays or not.

May 26 18 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

That's an opinion & not a fact.  As has been stated by the players, the intent was a statement against racial inequality & police brutality against minorities and was not intended to be disrespectful to the flag. 

And has many a veteran has stated, they fought for people's right to protest & to enjoy peaceful free speech.

Trying to make the players' kneeling about the flag and/or about disrespecting veterans -- that's the BS spin.

And yes, that's my opinion (and the stated opinion of the players doing the kneeling).

On other topics -- thanks for the fact-check on the Tebow meme.

Also, "don't stand / don't play" -- that's abhorrent.  That's something I'd expect from North Korea.  And that part where they still get paid but they just don't play -- what becomes of the NFL if a significant number of the big stars decide to sit for a game or three? 

One final opinion:  those who can't tolerate people with alternate points of view are a large part of this whole problem.

Players stating that it is not meant to be disrespectful is ridiculous at it's face value. Why do it if it is not meant to disrespect the flag? It's nonsense. It's all about the flag.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"
Colin Kaepernick

They can protest anywhere else they want... 24/7... Just not at there employer's place of work. They caused their company's revenue to fall.

They have chosen to divide Americans and to disrespect the men and women who have served and who have given their life for the freedoms they enjoy.

May 26 18 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

OP
The times the are a changin
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg
Or are they ?

May 26 18 03:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Players stating that it is not meant to be disrespectful is ridiculous at it's face value. Why do it if it is not meant to disrespect the flag? It's nonsense. It's all about the flag.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"
Colin Kaepernick

They can protest anywhere else they want... 24/7... Just not at there employer's place of work. They caused their company's revenue to fall.

They have chosen to divide Americans and to disrespect the men and women who have served and who have given their life for the freedoms they enjoy.

The freedoms they enjoy, which are a little less than the freedom that other people enjoy?

All those people that gave their lives for this country and still one group had to fight to sit at a lunch counter- or a Starbucks?  Did not that group also shed their blood for the flag that relegated them to be lesser beings, worthy of fewer rights and minimal freedoms?  For the most part, the people that died in the service of OUR country, died fighting foreign threats.  What about all the people that were civilians that died at the hands of domestic enemies that used a rope, fire, bombs and terror against men, women and children- CHILDREN!- LITTLE GIRLS!- to keep people from realizing their potential?  Did all those service members die so that maps could be rigged to prevent various groups defined by color or ideology a proportional representation in Congress?  When those people, our soldiers, died against foreign threats, was our country finished with the experiment, having achieved the high principles in the Pledge of "Liberty and Justice for ALL?"  Or is it just some that get Liberty and Justice? 

Why do YOU waste and squander the blood of Americans that died to free slaves, and Americans that died around the world for the American ideal, by tolerating an authoritarian, hateful society, which broadcasts to the world that Justice and Liberty is only for the people of the right color?  If you don't want them to kneel before the flag, then why don't you stand with them to change the obvious deficiencies?  How many more generations, how many more wars, before we address the problems we have at home?  In the last two football seasons, what have you done to improve our country?  Show us how much the blood of our service members really means to you.

May 26 18 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

The freedoms they enjoy, which are a little less than the freedom that other people enjoy?

All those people that gave their lives for this country and still one group had to fight to sit at a lunch counter- or a Starbucks?  Did not that group also shed their blood for the flag that relegated them to be lesser beings, worthy of fewer rights and minimal freedoms?  For the most part, the people that died in the service of their country died fighting foreign threats.  What about all the people that were civilians that died at the hands of domestic enemies that used a rope, fire, bombs and terror against men, women and children- CHILDREN!- LITTLE GIRLS EVEN- to keep people from realizing their potential?  Did all those service members die so that maps could be rigged to prevent various groups defined by color or ideology a proportional representation in Congress?  When those people, our soldiers, died against foreign threats, was our country finished with the experiment, having achieved the high principles in the Pledge of "Liberty and Justice for ALL?"  Or is it just some that get Liberty and Justice? 

Why do YOU waste and squander the blood of Americans that died to free slaves, and Americans that died around the world for the American ideal, by tolerating an authoritarian, hateful society, which broadcasts to the world that Justice and Liberty is only for the people of the right color?  If you don't want them to kneel before the flag, then why don't you stand with them to change the obvious deficiencies?  How many more generations, how many more wars, before we address the problems we have at home?  In the last two football seasons, what have you done to improve our country?  Show us how much the blood of our service members really means to you.

WOW !!!!
https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

May 26 18 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
OP
The times the are a changin
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg
Or are they ?

I had the same thought except the Olympics are seen by the entire world...The NFL is uniquely USA, except Canada.....

May 26 18 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I think many are mixing patriotism and nationalism.

that can be a very dangerous thing

May 26 18 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
What ever the OPs opinions, and that is all they are; (by the way they are free to have such opinions) the actions of those millionaires protesting their grievances by showing disrespect to the flag, and our anthem and the 100s of thousands men and women who served and paid the ultimate sacrifice for this nation, is the reason I stopped watching NFL football.  Say what they will their actions speak louder than words.

Y'know ...
...  Is it disrespectful to the flag?
...  Is it disrespectful to veterans?
...  Is it appropriate or inappropriate for Memorial Day?
Any answer is an opinion.  But the people doing the kneeling have been clear about their intent -- you are free to choose to ignore it.

But let's observe one important thing:  by talking about "disrespecting" the flag or veterans, the entire narrative has been hijacked.  We are mostly not talking about racial inequality or about how unarmed black people who are doing nothing wrong / illegal / immoral have been gunned downed by police, who were supposed to be protecting them.  That's the issue.

So, this Memorial Day -- let's remember those service folks who made the ultimate sacrifices to protect our freedoms & rights.  But what's wrong with also remembering those citizens whose lives were cut short by the state of race relations in this country, too?

And bravo, Hunter GWPB!

May 26 18 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I watch less NFL, too, but not because of the kneeling, but because...
...  It is mega-violent,
...  It causes health issues to players way too early,
...  The draft is essentially modern day slavery,
...  There is no pride or loyalty for the local team,
...  But I'm forced to support my local team, which I don't like,
...  There are 'way too many commercial breaks (and a break before & after a kickoff is a sin),
...  Because of the commercials, it is a slow game -- 10 seconds of action & 2 minutes pause in between,
and stuff like that.

Nowadays, if I'm in the mood for something violent, I'll watch MMA.

May 26 18 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Colin Kaepernick

So, I'm confused?
...  Are you saying that our country doesn't "oppress black people & people of color"?
...  Are you saying we can't criticize our country if/when we feel it needs to make improvements?
...  Are you saying that employees have the right to make their employees "toe the line"?

As I've said, this protest is not well conceived & somewhat misdirected, but I can't blame the players for using their fame and the popularity of the game to publicize their protests.  But I think that famous people should do some protesting across the street from the police stations where some of these atrocities occurred. 

And in my opinion, it's the people who choose to feel that these protests disrespect the flag & veterans are the ones who chose to divide us -- they have hijacked the narrative so that we are not talking about race relations.

May 26 18 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I don't watch nfl games since I feel the refs really suck at calling the plays.  So If the players want to kneel in protest to LE violence and discrimination, so be it.

On a personal note I've problems standing for the National Anthem for 50 years after returning from the disaster of the Vietnam War and experiencing members of my company going home in boxes.  In the end they gave their lives for no gain, either for the U.S. or the people of South Vietnam.

May 26 18 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So, I'm confused?
...  Are you saying that our country doesn't "oppress black people & people of color"?
...  Are you saying we can't criticize our country if/when we feel it needs to make improvements?
...  Are you saying that employees have the right to make their employees "toe the line"?

As I've said, this protest is not well conceived & somewhat misdirected, but I can't blame the players for using their fame and the popularity of the game to publicize their protests.  But I think that famous people should do some protesting across the street from the police stations where some of these atrocities occurred. 

And in my opinion, it's the people who choose to feel that these protests disrespect the flag & veterans are the ones who chose to divide us -- they have hijacked the narrative so that we are not talking about race relations.

So, in your opinion, it would be fine for a player to burn the flag during the National Anthem?

How about burning a cross on the field?

Or his first amendment right to wear a swastika on his uniform?

May 26 18 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

All those people that gave their lives for this country and still one group had to fight to sit at a lunch counter- or a Starbucks?  Did not that group also shed their blood for the flag that relegated them to be lesser beings, worthy of fewer rights and minimal freedoms?  For the most part, the people that died in the service of OUR country, died fighting foreign threats.  What about all the people that were civilians that died at the hands of domestic enemies that used a rope, fire, bombs and terror against men, women and children- CHILDREN!- LITTLE GIRLS!- to keep people from realizing their potential?  Did all those service members die so that maps could be rigged to prevent various groups defined by color or ideology a proportional representation in Congress?  When those people, our soldiers, died against foreign threats, was our country finished with the experiment, having achieved the high principles in the Pledge of "Liberty and Justice for ALL?"  Or is it just some that get Liberty and Justice? 

No reason to make this personal with your racist rhetoric. I have not said, at any time, that our country is not a work in progress. I understand fully that equality is not easy for some... That the playing field is not level... That there are MANY problems that need attention... I just strongly disagree with using the flag as a prop when it means so much to so many...

This is Memorial Day weekend. We honor the loss of life of ALL skin colors that have given the greatest sacrifice for that flag.

May 26 18 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

"So, in your opinion, it would be fine for a player to burn the flag during the National Anthem?

Or his first amendment right to wear a swastika on his uniform?"

I don't think the players are doing that. They are kneeling. As if in prayer.

I think cross burning and swastika-brandishing come under "hate speech", which is not constitutionally protected, it being designed to intimidate other people. Are any of the football fans feeling terrorized by kneeling players?

Flag burning HAS been used in protest, during the Viet Nam war, and that that is a very intense and powerful statement and would be deeply offensive to many people, including me, if used in this context, by the players on a captive audience.

And maybe Memorial Weekend is not the best time for this discussion, but the owners --apparently without an actual voice vote amongst owners and NO consultation with the players union-- issued their callous guidelines this week.

May 26 18 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

First off, extremely well said Hunter. Let us not forget on memorial day that our country WAS NOT founded and fought for on taxes or rebellion from the king - it was fought for over representation. We would have been fine with paying taxes and being British citizens, so long as we got parliamentary representation.

That is why the Bill of Rights reads the way it does - it's not about what you deserve just for being alive - it's a list of things the government isn't allowed to take from you. Facebook is literally unable to infringe on your first amendment rights, even if they wanted to, because they're not the government - ditto for unreasonable search and seizure if your parents find your stash in your underwear drawer.

That's why I support the NFL banning taking a knee. They're private citizens with employees, they have the right.

I also support players coming up with new and different protests. Turn around. Play on your phone. Juggle. Once those are written out, streak across the field. Do whatever you damn well feel. You're not protesting the government, because you're not at a government ceremony - you're protesting a private employer that is trying to lend itself creedence by using our anthem. It's no coincidence that, while protests do happen at the international stage, they are far less common. When an NFL team plays a game in the UK (yes, it happens) they're representing America; here, it's just a bunch of guys that wear different colors

The NFL might be private, but unlike your office it's not top-down. Sure there are a million guys that want Tom Brady's job, but are there a million Tom Bradys? They might not need EVERY player, but they need players, and you can't just train a guy to throw TDs the same way you can train a guy to do data entry. And you have to be competitive and win, which means that depending on how far players want to take this, they can either turn the anthem into a clown show (which I wouldn't prefer, but again - they have the right - Jimi Hendrix, anyone?), or they can force owners to decide if it's more important to them to appear patriotic, or to win games.

Personally, I think it's great when people fuck with the system. Maybe not NOW, but it's great long-term. If no one's rights are being violated - and no, you don't have a constitutional right to see a line of guys standing with their hands on their hearts every time you hear the national anthem -then the ONLY way to differentiate a right from a privilege is to step over that line and see where it gets you.

A bit of trivia, for you traditionalists who are not also historians ... Did you know that until the early 20th century, the correct way to stand for the anthem was to raise the right arm, palm downward, towards the flag? The only reason we changed it was because a floppy haired guy with a third of a moustache came to power in Germany, and we were afraid of our schools raising Nazis. But to be fair ... We did steal our eagle from them, and we basically just rewrote the lyrics to the British national anthem and said it was ours now. And then the Nazis took the swastika from us ... But that was from a bunch of other people, and we weren't using it anyway.

Patriotism is a funny thing.

May 26 18 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Nash Rambler

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wow, thank you, Hunter GWPB for such eloquence and sharp thought. Not racist at all but to the real point, not the one thrown out by the owners and by Trump to distract us from the truth of the protest. This was and is about the callous disregard for the lives of non-whites in our country. A fact much more important that  a scrap of cloth, and one we all as Americans need to face head on.

I am amazed at how some people can trample the actual rights of others while rushing to "protect" the mere symbols of those rights.

May 26 18 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Lisa Paul Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

The NFL as a business has a right to determine how their players dress, and behave during any game.  If they determine that players should stand, let them stand or suffer the consequences.  I could care less who plays or not.

Yep.

May 26 18 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

So, I'm confused?

So, in your opinion, it would be fine for a player to burn the flag during the National Anthem?

Or his first amendment right to wear a swastika on his uniform?

Where the heck do you get that from what I said?  You are using a pretty classic logical fallacy here.

You quoted Kap, you claimed his quote proved that he was disrespecting the flag, I asked if you felt that he didn't have a point.

And stop clubbing baby seals on the head!

May 26 18 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

According to the U.S. Flag Code, these are disrespecting the flag.  Note that none of the kneeling players are doing this.

AND I REMIND YOU -- IT AIN'T ABOUT "DISRESPECTING THE FLAG"; IT'S ABOUT STORIES LIKE STERLING BROWN'S!  Google his name -- you'll find it.  Many, including me, believe this talk about how kneeling is disrespectful are just using this "disrespectful" talk as a smoke screen to avoid talking about racial inequality & police violence against minorities.

I also agree that the President's influence on getting this "rule" railroaded in is a sign of fascism, and it's scary how many sheep fell in line.

See on Fox News reporter's take on this situation.

May 26 18 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Y'know ...
Any answer is an opinion.  But the people doing the kneeling have been clear about their intent -- you are free to choose to ignore it.

[...]

You tell us that any answer is an opinion... like the opinion of the kneeling players that it is not disrespectful? That is their opinion, others dont share it. Please stop saying it isnt offensive to the flag, or veterans. It is offensive to some, just not you.

I recognize the validity of Kaepernick's protest. Equality is a myth. It is one of the most glaring failures of my generation. We started so well, with the civil rights gains of the early 60's---but we stopped just when we were making real progress.

And I support Kaepernick's right to protest. He has every right to voice his opinions. But, I think he chose the wrong venue, and I am personally offended by his disrespect to a symbol that means something to me and and lots of others.... I feel he could have chosen any of hundreds of other forums , and in truth feel he is hurting his own cause because of the way he chose to protest.

He isnt the first to disrespect things that mean a lot to me, and he wont be the last. That is the nature of a society where you  are free to express your opinions. I may not always enjoy it, but I wouldnt have it any other way.

May 26 18 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know ...

[...]

rfordphotos wrote:
You tell us that any answer is an opinion... like the opinion of the kneeling players that it is not disrespectful? That is their opinion, others dont share it. Please stop saying it isnt offensive to the flag, or veterans. It is offensive to some, just not you.

I think I've been pretty clear that my position is my opinion.  Where we might differ is that I believe the kneeling players have clearly expressed that it was not their intention to disrespect the flag or veterans.

rfordphotos wrote:
...  And I support Kaepernick's right to protest. He has every right to voice his opinions. But, I think he chose the wrong venue, and I am personally offended by his disrespect to a symbol that means something to me and and lots of others.

I think I've been clear in expressing my opinion that this particular protest was poorly conceived & misplaced.  It's confusing and can be easily misinterpreted (unlike those 1960 lunch counter protests).

rfordphotos wrote:
He isnt the first to disrespect things that mean a lot to me, and he wont be the last. That is the nature of a society where your are free to express your opinions. I may not always enjoy it, but I wouldnt have it any other way.

And that's exactly why many veterans have no problem with the protests.

May 26 18 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I think I've been pretty clear that my position is my opinion.  Where we might differ is that I believe the kneeling players have clearly expressed that it was not their intention to disrespect the flag or veterans.

And regardless of their intentions thousands of veterans (like me) do indeed find their actions disrespectful. I dont care what their intentions were in that regard, the results of their actions were offensive to me.

Surely if they have the right to protest, I have the right to find that protest offensive without someone telling me I am wrong?

I think I've been clear in expressing my opinion that this particular protest was poorly conceived & misplaced.  It's confusing and can be easily misinterpreted (unlike those 1960 lunch counter protests).

And yet, even when Kaepernick saw the reception his protest got, saw that the discussion wasnt about the issue of systemic racial bias in the police, but instead was about Colin Kaepernick---- he did absolutely nothing to redirect the discusssion.

I think the league totally screwed this up, they share maybe the lions share of the blame for how this whole thing has played out.

And that's exactly why many veterans have no problem with the protests.

I didnt realize you had served.

May 26 18 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I like the idea those media sheep are left to pout in their powder rooms.  At least we won't have to look at the whiny, melodramatic, knee jerkin', see-only-what-you-want-to-see pieces of shit faces.

It's fucking ridiculous they keep saying it's about minority injustice.  Nobody bats an eye when a white person or a cop gets killed by a minority.  You don't see the media jumpin' all over it.  When they do, it's just passed over as eh.

Bottom line, protest or rally just like everyone else.  Take a day off, call in sick, whatever and do in the streets.

May 27 18 01:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

No reason to make this personal with your racist rhetoric. I have not said, at any time, that our country is not a work in progress. I understand fully that equality is not easy for some... That the playing field is not level... That there are MANY problems that need attention... I just strongly disagree with using the flag as a prop when it means so much to so many...

This is Memorial Day weekend. We honor the loss of life of ALL skin colors that have given the greatest sacrifice for that flag.

You know that there is a disparity that the citizens of this country enjoy and that disparity is relative to race and gender, but you have expressed a willingness to deprive other people of the same freedoms that you have.  There is nothing in the Constitution that gives you a veto over the expression of free speech of others, or when the free speech is expressed, or the content of the speech.   This Memorial Day, when you consider the people that made the ultimate sacrifice, ponder the ones that died for their country who were less valuable to their country, who were less free and who would never have been given the same freedoms for the same ultimate price and that they left behind children that fear for their lives because of the color of their skin. 

Perhaps it is time that you stopped thinking of your country as a flag, and started thinking of it as people.

May 27 18 03:06 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
I like the idea those media sheep are left to pout in their powder rooms.  At least we won't have to look at the whiny, melodramatic, knee jerkin', see-only-what-you-want-to-see pieces of shit faces.

It's fucking ridiculous they keep saying it's about minority injustice.  Nobody bats an eye when a white person or a cop gets killed by a minority.  You don't see the media jumpin' all over it.  When they do, it's just passed over as eh.

Bottom line, protest or rally just like everyone else.  Take a day off, call in sick, whatever and do in the streets.

+1

Preach!

May 27 18 03:39 am Link