Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

My models seem to be amazed that I don't have an instagram page.  I looked at setting one up but it appears to be geared towards "phone" photography, square images being the norm.  I take very few photos on my phone and I'm really not interested in cropping my images square.  Also, the Instagram folks seem to not want images that aren't taken on phones and will sometimes remove images taken with a real camera.  Is this correct?  Is there a work-around?

Jul 01 18 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Jowady wrote:
My models seem to be amazed that I don't have an instagram page.  I looked at setting one up but it appears to be geared towards "phone" photography, square images being the norm.  I take very few photos on my phone and I'm really not interested in cropping my images square.  Also, the Instagram folks seem to not want images that aren't taken on phones and will sometimes remove images taken with a real camera.  Is this correct?  Is there a work-around?

That is interesting, can't wait to see some of the responses!

Jul 01 18 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Woodyard

Milford, New Hampshire, US

Jowady wrote:

I've very recently started actually uploading things to instagram myself. I do it via my phone. As of this moment I'm transferring things from my flickr account to my instagram so it's basically just downloading from flickr and uploading to instagram. From there I use a pinching motion to make sure the image is fully shown.

If you need to show something in landscape orientation, there's an icon in the bottom left of the image area that lets you tell it to make room on the "canvas" that way. So far instagram has been much better than any other image sharing platform that I've used and I only started putting stuff there two weeks ago.

Jul 01 18 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Neil

Torrance, California, US

You can directly upload to Instagram from Lightroom mobile that is linked to your Lightroom Classic from your computer with your DSLR photos.

Jul 01 18 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

Robert  Neil wrote:
You can directly upload to Instagram from Lightroom mobile that is linked to your Lightroom Classic from your computer with your DSLR photos.

Too bad then that next month when my adobe rental contract runs out I am ditching LR.

Jul 01 18 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Let's see. I have to post images on Model Mayhem, Facebook, Instagram which now means that I need a second Model Mayhem for those models who don't like nudes, I have to have a second and third Facebook page and i now need three Instagram pages. Nah. I will stick with Model Mayhem.

I don't need to keep up with the Jones.

Jul 01 18 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Jowady wrote:
I looked at setting one up but it appears to be geared towards "phone" photography, square images being the norm.  I take very few photos on my phone and I'm really not interested in cropping my images square.

Since a few years ago, they allow horizontal length and vertical length.  Though, the vertical get's cropped some.  You can download apps that would pre-fill the borders so your images won't be cropped horizontal or vertical.  But, sometimes, they'll look too small. 

I used to be hung-up on the cropping thing, but for IG use, because the images are so damn small even when viewed on a computer, I crop it so it has the most impact.  I'll always have the full versions of them in at least one of these:  my web page, Facebook, Flickr (uncensored), Twitter (uncensored) and Model Mayhem (uncensored).

And, uploading is a hassle since they don't allow direct uploads from your computer.  There are workarounds.  There's some .exe file some have suggested a while back.  But, I'm too paranoid.  So, for now, I do it like how a lot of people do it:  From the phone, download from an online source (Dropbox, Flickr, etc) and post using the IG app.

Also, the Instagram folks seem to not want images that aren't taken on phones and will sometimes remove images taken with a real camera.  Is this correct?

False.  They only remove uncensored nudity and probably things that are too graphic or hate speech.  But, definitely not because it was taken with a real camera.  There are a ton of professional photographers on IG.

Jul 01 18 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

These days the most successful images on IG are portrait orientation. Maximum resolution of portrait orientation images is 1,080 pixels by 1,350 pixels which is a 4:5 ratio. 99% of what I post is taken with one of my dSLRs. I process images in LR on my laptop and have a custom export preset that resizes and drops the jpeg into Dropbox. Simple and quick to retrieve the image on my phone from Dropbox and post it.

Jul 10 18 02:56 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

"My Models" ?

So, you own your own Models?

Jul 10 18 05:23 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Instinct Images wrote:
I process images in LR on my laptop and have a custom export preset that resizes and drops the jpeg into Dropbox. Simple and quick to retrieve the image on my phone from Dropbox and post it.

There is a LR Plugin that can publish directly to IG

https://www.lrinstagram.com/

Jul 10 18 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

no they do not remove the images based  on the camera

they only remove images based on content and whether it meets their guidelines are not.
for example too much nudity

One plus side to having something geared towards   viewing  on a small device is that photos that are a little too blurred for portfolio work can be usable for Instagram

Jul 10 18 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I just started getting serious about my IG yesterday

Sent my first message to a friend ( whoo hoo )

Will start loading pix soon

smile

Jul 10 18 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If you are using Safari on your computer, you can set it to iPhone in the develop settings. That will allow you to upload photos from your computer.

Jul 10 18 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I just create a square border that I set my images into so I don't have to worry about cropping it, I've had an IG account for a while but only recently started to use it, I really don't see what the big deal is with IG, its nothing more that a way to share images with people you are probably already friends with on FB or MM.

Here is an example of how I post images on IG.

https://www.leohoward.com/imagepost/mm/DSC_7042.jpg

Jul 10 18 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
"My Models" ?

Well, I say "My Friends" without implying ownership.  Besides, the 13th amendment freed the slaves, I guess you haven't heard of it, It was in all the papers.

Jul 10 18 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Jul 10 18 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

PHP-Photography wrote:

Just gave it a quick try on an old LR 5.7.1 I keep around for plugin stuff...and, I freakin' love this plugin so far.  What I like most is it doesn't crop even vertical images.  With the IG app, you lose a little bit.

Jul 11 18 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Jowady wrote:

Ya I had the same issue. They seemed shocked! When I said look at my Website. They asked do you have an instagram. like a website was not good enough!?! lol A girlfriend started an instagram for me. but I really dont use it that much. Its just another things to waste my time.

Jul 11 18 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Armando D Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Instagram is crazy fantastic.

With all the new features they keep implementing it allows you to interact with your fans, clients, advertising. Just the limitations of instagram can be fun. I usually just crop my images to a square in photoshop and I don't lose any detail. It's like why do I need to show the full length of the seamless paper.

I think a good example is FJH in a marketing sense https://www.instagram.com/fjhphoto/ he's doing great things with his instagram!

Jul 11 18 10:28 am Link

Photographer

JordanK

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Instagram plays such a big part in today's photography industry and it can in a photographer's business, I know many photographers actually keep the square crop in mind when they are thinking about composition in camera.

Jul 11 18 10:38 am Link

Photographer

JeffB_Photography

Montgomery Village, Maryland, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
"My Models" ?

lighten up

Jul 11 18 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

The only thing that I do use it for is messaging, I'll often contact models through it but I think it really comes down to what you're looking to gain out of IG. I couldn't track a single paying customer back to Instagram so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it as a platform.

Jul 13 18 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Belmont

Rochester, Washington, US

Voy wrote:
If you are using Safari on your computer, you can set it to iPhone in the develop settings. That will allow you to upload photos from your computer.

That's how I do it from a computer.

Jul 15 18 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jowady wrote:
I looked at setting one up but it appears to be geared towards "phone" photography,

You didn't get the memo?

That's where it's at baby!

Jul 15 18 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I sometimes crop square; that's not the problem.

The problem is that an IG account has a negative inherent value. To post to IG you have to:

1) give your personal data away to Facebook for free.
2) mutilate your images to conform to Zuckerberg's flea-brained, puritanical guidelines*.
3) some images DON'T look good square (but I see IG has some work-arounds for that -- borders you can add, etc.)
4) it's easy enough to connect with models without it.

* I do NOT, however, object to "my models" adding some digital "pasties" and posting our work on IG; I just don't wish to dignify the practice myself. I may reconsider and join IG if they dump Zuckerberg for someone with a brain and modernize their terms of service. But Facebook, Inc has other fish to fry right now, as the parent organization apparently sold out our country to Russia because they were too inept to spot click bait / hate speech.

Jul 15 18 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
"My Models" ?

Jowady wrote:
Well, I say "My Friends" without implying ownership.  Besides, the 13th amendment freed the slaves, I guess you haven't heard of it, It was in all the papers.

My dentist, my doctor, my mechanic, etc.
How about this one? My veterinarian. Or is it my cat's veterinarian?

Jul 15 18 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

PHP-Photography wrote:

Thanks but I don't want to publish from Lightroom. I want to write a detailed caption and add relevant hashtags.

Jul 17 18 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
I sometimes crop square; that's not the problem.

The problem is that an IG account has a negative inherent value. To post to IG you have to:

1) give your personal data away to Facebook for free.
2) mutilate your images to conform to Zuckerberg's flea-brained, puritanical guidelines*.
3) some images DON'T look good square (but I see IG has some work-arounds for that -- borders you can add, etc.)
4) it's easy enough to connect with models without it.

* I do NOT, however, object to "my models" adding some digital "pasties" and posting our work on IG; I just don't wish to dignify the practice myself. I may reconsider and join IG if they dump Zuckerberg for someone with a brain and modernize their terms of service. But Facebook, Inc has other fish to fry right now, as the parent organization apparently sold out our country to Russia because they were too inept to spot click bait / hate speech.

If you think IG posts have to be square then you're a few years behind. Landscape or portrait images fully supported, no borders needed.

Jul 17 18 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jaysen R Lee

Anaheim, California, US

Instagram has become a measuring stick for popularity unfortunately.  I’ve heard so many stories of how models need so many followers to be considered for work.  I think you almost HAVE to have an account to even stay in the game.

Jul 17 18 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Instinct Images wrote:

If you think IG posts have to be square then you're a few years behind. Landscape or portrait images fully supported, no borders needed.

Original poster said IG had to be square. And most stuff on IG *is*. It's the censorship, the ownership, and the lack of compelling benefit that keep me off the platform.

Jul 17 18 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

I like how it seems more and more, they are adding some same functionally from their mobile to the desktop version.  For instance, I just noticed they added "Tagged".  I view IG on my computers 99% of the time so these types of mirroring is most convenient.

Jul 18 18 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Chow

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I post all of my photos from my PC

1) Using Microsoft Edge Log on to Instagram
2) Click in upper right hand corner
3) Select Developer Tools
4) Emulation > Brower Profile = Windows Phone
5) Select iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
6) Without closing the window, go to the other open window Instagram
7) It should now be in smartphone view with the bottom buttons visible

Jul 18 18 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

From what I've seen with browser -> mobile emulation, your resize options are limited.  If you need to, you can't pinch zoom to fine tune the size.  Also, you can't reposition the image within the constraints.

Jul 18 18 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Instinct Images wrote:

theres' "supported", and there's "optimal".

sure, you can post landscape or portrait images now.
but in some view modes, they will get autocropped to square anyway.
So your image had better look interesting enough when square-cropped, to get people to click on it and see the full size.
If not, then you need to do as the other person posted, and give it a squared off border.

Jul 18 18 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Voy wrote:

+1042!
WOOHOO!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

I'm missing the tagging feature, and I cannot edit a post. But once loaded from my computer, those are simple from my phone.

Jul 18 18 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

IG specific dimensions: https://louisem.com/wp-content/uploads/ … e-size.png

1:1 ratio - 1080x1080 pixels
4:5 ratio - 1080W x 1350H
1.91:1 ratio: 1080W x 566H

General Social Media dimensions: http://www.imbusinessninja.com/INFOgraphic.png

Jul 18 18 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

I have gotten more gigs and models from IG and FB then from MM.  In fact I see the models on IG much more often and I know I post my shots up there and get contacted for shoots to do the same as the ones on the page. IG is a photographers best way to brand.

Jul 18 18 07:05 pm Link