Forums > General Industry > Remember Charles Beseler enlargers?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Still around and made by Fabricated Components in PA.  Saw them for sale at Freestyle Photo in Los Angeles.

I sold an old Beseler CB-7 with a dichroic colorhead that was fed by a large hose from a blower to cool it.  Noisy enlarger too.  The large Omega colorheads had the fan in the head which introduced vibration, so C. Beseler thought the blower hose was a better idea.

Just learned Beseler also went into the shrink-wrap packaging business too which help to keep them afloat.  https://beselershrinkpackaging.com/  Sadly, Omega enlargers folded and went to PromarkBRANDS which seems to be a place where archaic photo gear goes to die.

The really cool enlarger head was the one made by Minolta for Beseler that used flash tubes for the RGB light source instead of bulbs.  It had multiple pops of the three colors and you could dodge and burn as they fired off in the timing sequence.  Focus was also by some longer running flash tube.  So much for that one too.

Nov 14 20 10:25 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GRMACK wrote:
The really cool enlarger head was the one made by Minolta for Beseler that used flash tubes for the RGB light source instead of bulbs.  It had multiple pops of the three colors and you could dodge and burn as they fired off in the timing sequence.  Focus was also by some longer running flash tube.  So much for that one too.

For a short time I stayed in California and attended a Photography School run by the city.  The administrators built a new state of the art facility and ordered about 10 of those enlargers (I think they were about $5k each at the time... at least that's what they told me).  The color consistency and speed was awesome.  I really miss those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSsIJkPZZPU

Nov 15 20 06:54 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I used to sell them for many years but preferred the Omega as I learned on a D22 and a B22 fit my apartment, later got colorhead for it.

the problem with both was the designs were dated and the Minolta was at the time IMO the beat medium format enlarger on the market and later the LPL, also a Japanese company. I got one and used it for many years, still in my darkroom? storage room. Priced one at B&H a few years ago and it was over $4,000. Besides being a well designed and built machine it was made to ship in three boxes, one for the head and micisng boxes, one for the single column and the third for the baseboard so it was a lot less expensive to ship. they also made an XL version with longer column and larger baseboard and resulted in less inventory than different models.

Nov 15 20 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I remember them. I had one that had the motor which ran it up and down the chassis. I had another I turned into a copy stand. I still have a couple of the negatrans (I think that was the name) for cranking 35mm negs through them. They work well to hold negatives for copying in a home made copy set up.

Nov 15 20 07:26 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

For a short time I stayed in California and attended a Photography School run by the city.  The administrators built a new state of the art facility and ordered about 10 of those enlargers (I think they were about $5k each at the time... at least that's what they told me).  The color consistency and speed was awesome.  I really miss those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSsIJkPZZPU

Thanks for the video.  That was a cool enlarger with the Minolta color head and its analyzer/timer.  It was really a shocker to those in darkrooms using the tungsten type of enlargers.

I talked a friend into buying one at the defunct Bel-Air Camera in West Hollywood.  We made 30x40 inch Ektacolor prints from his Bronica (Our local dealer had to special order the cut paper from Kodak.).  We used a 10" irrigation pipe for the processing tube with a 3" slit PVC tube in the middle to spill the solutions out onto the paper inside the irrigation pipe as we dog-paddle turned it on skateboard wheels.  It worked out surprisingly well as a over-sized Unicolor drum, but it was a two-person job to load and fill/pour chemicals and wash water.  Sold a lot of large prints to motorcycle dealers for their walls.

Ah, the good ol' days where people had to have some darkroom skills too....

Nov 15 20 09:15 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

I've never even used an Omega!
My first enlarger I think was a cheap little Vivitar or something like that.
After I started shooting a lot of 4X5 I bought an old used Elwood. Thant thing was an old cast iron beast with that giant light bell on it. Then when I went digital I still have a Besseler 45 in good working order but haven't used it for about 10 years. I'm thinking maybe next year I might set it back up.
In photo school, about 10 years ago, we had about 20 45's.
A couple of years ago I needed to print a bunch of 35mm negs so I rented space at the looking glass in Berkeley. I printed from opening till close and I remember it costing about $45 including chemicals! I used a 45 since I was used to using it.
My wet printing days aren't over, or maybe they are!!! LoL
John

Nov 15 20 11:11 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

John Silva Photography wrote:
I've never even used an Omega!
My first enlarger I think was a cheap little Vivitar or something like that.
After I started shooting a lot of 4X5 I bought an old used Elwood. Thant thing was an old cast iron beast with that giant light bell on it. Then when I went digital I still have a Besseler 45 in good working order but haven't used it for about 10 years. I'm thinking maybe next year I might set it back up.
In photo school, about 10 years ago, we had about 20 45's.
A couple of years ago I needed to print a bunch of 35mm negs so I rented space at the looking glass in Berkeley. I printed from opening till close and I remember it costing about $45 including chemicals! I used a 45 since I was used to using it.
My wet printing days aren't over, or maybe they are!!! LoL
John

Our college darkroom had maybe a dozen Beseler enlargers.  The two color labs for second-year students were equipped with Omegas and the Kodak spinning-drum print processor.

The professor was a big fan of Ansel Adams and he arranged to get him as a guest speaker in the auditorium.  He was quite old and crippled up with arthritis then and his talk seemed dumbed down compared to his technical books.  Back in the lab, Adams surprised us and came into the B&W lab and worked his magic with some of us on our junky prints.  Then it showed us what he was capable of as his talk was sort of boring.

Nov 16 20 07:14 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Suddenly I'm getting a faint whiff of dark room chemicals, developer, stop bath, fixer  .  .  .  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 16 20 08:15 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

sospix wrote:
Suddenly I'm getting a faint whiff of dark room chemicals, developer, stop bath, fixer  .  .  .  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  .  .  .  wink

SOS

You forgot the Dektol brown-stained fingernails too.

Nov 16 20 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

I used to have a DeVere large format enlarger. I see they have something interesting in digital.

http://de-vere.com/products-504ds-digital-enlarger/

Nov 17 20 03:47 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Znude! wrote:
I used to have a DeVere large format enlarger. I see they have something interesting in digital.

http://de-vere.com/products-504ds-digital-enlarger/

That's interesting!

So it makes a digital camera file into a projected negative for either color and B&W wet-paper processes.  I Googled for the price and came in around $25K.  Ouch!

Nov 17 20 07:46 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

GRMACK wrote:
So it makes a digital camera file into a projected negative for either color and B&W wet-paper processes.  I Googled for the price and came in around $25K.  Ouch!

Ouch is right..still... I'd love to see a print made from it to see how it compares to a print from film

Nov 17 20 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

sospix wrote:

GRMACK wrote:
You forgot the Dektol brown-stained fingernails too.

And maybe the contact dermatitis, too?  Ugh!  I'm not sorry to leave that behind.

Nov 17 20 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

GRMACK wrote:

That's interesting!

The one I had years ago was a standard film based rig. But yeah, the new one apparently projects onto paper for chemical process. I don't think I care to go back to dealing with chemicals.

Nov 17 20 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I remember them but I never had one.

Nov 17 20 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I remember them but I never had one.

I think that's what the bamboo tongs were for!?!
John

Nov 21 20 08:09 pm Link