Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > weddings: you do,or you don't?

Makeup Artist

makeupladydiva

San Francisco, California, US

Lisa Johnson MUA wrote:
On a side note:  I love when the bride is spending major bucks on the photographer, the dress and the hair...yet BALKS at what makeup costs.  LOL...those are the ones that wait until the last minute to consider makeup.  They're not the ones I usually work with...but it never ceases to amaze me.  They're forking out thousands on the photog and dress and then freak when you give them a quote for makeup which is a small fraction of any of those costs.  However, the storybook brides and weddings are quite expensive and that of course is my ideal market.

sad and true:
had a co-worker get married,spent 24+ months researching photogs/halls/caterers/florist/etc., 2 WEEKS before the wedding asked if i could do the makeup for her and her 10 member bridal party,told her i was unavailable(ironically i was doing a wedding that day,figured i hadn't been invited to hers i could go to someone elses lol!)
she asked for suggestions,i gave her about 8 references
they ranged from $25 per bridesmaid to $100+ per bridesmaid,$50 for bride to $450 for bride
she emailed me to ask if i knew anyone else,i asked why, she said she was  looking for someone she could just give a love offering to(read:they'll do 11 peoples mu and get a $20 "tip")

Feb 06 07 01:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Los Angeles, California, US

I personally do not do weddings... here is my reason.... The bride can be the nicest person on the planet on any ordinary day & then come time her wedding day she turns into frickin bridzilla!!! questioning every frickin move you make (even if you have done her face 100 times before & no questions) They are just frantic weirdo's on that special day. They have every right to be because it is a big day for them but heyyyy.... I aint the one to be part of it...

Feb 17 07 02:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

juliemcmua

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Lisa Johnson MUA wrote:
On a side note:  I love when the bride is spending major bucks on the photographer, the dress and the hair...yet BALKS at what makeup costs.  LOL...those are the ones that wait until the last minute to consider makeup.  They're not the ones I usually work with...but it never ceases to amaze me.  They're forking out thousands on the photog and dress and then freak when you give them a quote for makeup which is a small fraction of any of those costs.  However, the storybook brides and weddings are quite expensive and that of course is my ideal market.

When that happens, I ask how much their bridal bouquet is costing (usually $500 - $1000...sometimes higher!)   Then I ask if the bouquet is worth more than the face that will be seen in EVERY photo from that very important day.
This gives them a valid, visual point of reference and they usually calm down quickly.  If they don't and insist on trying to negotiate the price down ...I inform them that my talent is valued at the price I quoted.  If this is not acceptable, then thank you very much for coming to see me but our consultation is over.

In answer to the OP...
I do tons of bridal and enjoy every dollar it puts in my bank account.  Only very silly or very wealthy and successful makeup artists have the luxury to turn down income.  Bridal is a GREAT business to cover you while your working toward a print, video or film career.

Feb 17 07 08:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Gerbino

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

I would love to do weddings, I just don't know how to break into it. If I got a few weddings a week, i could quit my day job.

sad Speaking of, I am going to go search the forums right now on how to do that...

Feb 17 07 11:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is more excellent information.  I'm going to do that from now on!  Thank YOU for this valuable marketing tip!

juliemcmua wrote:

When that happens, I ask how much their bridal bouquet is costing (usually $500 - $1000...sometimes higher!)   Then I ask if the bouquet is worth more than the face that will be seen in EVERY photo from that very important day.
This gives them a valid, visual point of reference and they usually calm down quickly.  If they don't and insist on trying to negotiate the price down ...I inform them that my talent is valued at the price I quoted.  If this is not acceptable, then thank you very much for coming to see me but our consultation is over.

In answer to the OP...
I do tons of bridal and enjoy every dollar it puts in my bank account.  Only very silly or very wealthy and successful makeup artists have the luxury to turn down income.  Bridal is a GREAT business to cover you while your working toward a print, video or film career.

Feb 17 07 02:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kendra Spring

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I did my own.  smile

I considered hiring another MUA, simply to pamper myself and take the pressure off, but figured why pay someone for something I can do quite well, myself.

Feb 19 07 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

juliemcmua

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Lisa Johnson MUA wrote:
This is more excellent information.  I'm going to do that from now on!  Thank YOU for this valuable marketing tip!

Happy to help in any way i can smile

Feb 19 07 06:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Kelly Ferguson

MARYLAND LINE, Maryland, US

I do weddings too and agree with everyone that it is a paid service so there's nothing wrong with it being apart of the services you offer. 

Some have said they wish to do weddings but don't know how to break into it.  Some suggestions are to become a member of reputable bridal associations, join The Knot which is an all wedding guide and resource place for brides around the country.  Also, you can network with photographers, bridal shops, etc., places where brides go to place your information or request them to refer you to their brides.  I have quite a few weddings coming up this year.  Shoot, I do proms, pageants, whatever... I have happy clients, and they come back when they need me for their next event.

Feb 13 09 10:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wedding MUA Marketing tips? 

The best ever was from my initial instructor… do senior proms for peanuts when you are starting out… why? Every sweet sixteen prom queen is wedding bound within the next several years and she will remember YOU because you did a promotional sell at prom time… yes bread on water…  this is indeed very real… 

btw: always use waterproof mascara on a bride smile

Feb 14 09 08:01 am Link

Hair Stylist

Joy Klapko

London, Ontario, Canada

I hate doing weddings I will not turn them down if it is one of my clients, however I think there is nothing unprofessional about it...I just hate bridezillas and that one bridesmaid that does not wear MU and no matter what you put on her it's too dark in her mind. One time I did a wedding and once I was done the bride I seen her doing her foundation again (after she said she loved it 2 min before) when she walked into her bathroom she started screamin she was orange... She had An orange fixture in her bathroom that made everything look orange.... She was calling me names and screaming then I made her go into another room and showed her that it was just the lighting int the bathroom and she was like "oh well now you have to redo it" because she had this colour that was like three shades to light that she had put on half her face... I was so mad I wanted to choke her. Then her sister wanted to book with me a few months later I was like sorry I am booked LOL oh well I can laugh about it now LOL

Feb 14 09 08:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Hate doing them , you couldnt pay me enough but I know alot of people make their living off them
Family only ,  Thank God both my parents were only children!   LOL

Feb 14 09 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lisa Horwitz

Aventura, Florida, US

I work in all areas of production makeup, and "on the side" have created over 400 beautiful brides and another 150 or so special occasion makeups (Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Quinces, Proms, etc.). I find working on weddings to be beneficial to me in keeping my speed up, exercising my people skills and enhancing my bank account! And as someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of production work on Saturdays and Sundays.

Feb 15 09 10:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Molly Hutchins

Chandler, Arizona, US

When I first started up, I was "anti-wedding" just because I was worried about the drama/bridezilla factor. I started taking a few here and there and found that I really enjoyed them, and I rarely come across a bitchy bride. They are generally very happy and appreciative.

Also, I find wedding makeup to be some of the most difficult you can do! These are REAL WOMEN and often I'm spending most of my time doing corrective work. With models, they're well.... models! I think making a real woman look like a model requires a great deal of skill.

Weddings are also a great way to enhance your business in a down market, also they're a great way to have steady work in areas OTHER than NYC or LA! I live in Alaska and while I still have a day job, I work almost every single weekend. I'm actually enjoying my first weekend off in two months!

Feb 15 09 12:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Molly Hutchins

Chandler, Arizona, US

OH- and let me tell you.... weddings are low drama compared to PAGEANTS!!! hahaha!

Feb 15 09 12:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meg Grinczel

Joy Klapko wrote:
I just hate bridezillas and that one bridesmaid that does not wear MU and no matter what you put on her it's too dark in her mind.

Ohhh gosh, there's one of those in every wedding party, isn't there??

Feb 15 09 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

HaliSF

San Mateo, California, US

A lot of people enjoy being mean or a bridezilla. ( It's not funny or cute to me!)
I would not do bridal makeup. I don't need the stress of people acting crazy, difficult, mean, or rude.  I have Important and stressful moments all the time....But, I always try to stay level headed, pleasant, and be true to me.    There are some women that will spend $5000 on a dress, $500 on makeup, $500 on hair, and will let anyone with a camera do the pictures or vice versa.    Weird!

I'd only do bridal makeup for family. Luckily my family lives over 1500 miles away! ha ha

Feb 15 09 01:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Angela Holthuis

Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I do bridal makeup, I really dont mind doing it. It pays my bills and still have a bit of cash left for the fun stuff.
The one thing I will never do, no matter how much the person would beg me for it, is doing bridal makeup for friends or family. Bridezillas I can handle, you meet them a few times and it'll be all over when the wedding has finished lol
Friends or family are just a little too close for comfort.

Feb 15 09 02:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Molly Hutchins

Chandler, Arizona, US

Meg Czel wrote:

Ohhh gosh, there's one of those in every wedding party, isn't there??

Oh man... those drive me CRAZY! I had a lady plop down a nasty clutch full of drugstore makeup, and said "I'd like you to use this. I know what colors look good on me"

I was diplomatic and said "the bride has paid me for my time and to use my products. I use things because they will look good in pictures and will last through the day. Also, the bride has a specific look she'd like me to recreate on all her party members"

In my head, I was like "ARRRGHH! GET OVER YOURSELF!" hahah!

Feb 15 09 02:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm getting to the point of NO bridal now.... sigh...this MAY be my last bridal season.  I won't go into detail here - due to a public forum.  Suffice it to say.... this one was less than gracious today - after paying in full... I may need to wear my asbestos undies on the wedding day.  The word "VILE" comes to mind.
I will smile nicely, though... wink
sigh.....

Apr 23 09 09:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

Lisa what are you doing lol! This post is from 2007!

Apr 23 09 09:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

KatAragon wrote:
I do weddings as well. My main freelance opps come on weekdays anyway while weddings fall on Saturdays so it hasn't been much of a problem. I also have a 3 person minimum and do not undercut or change my prices for any reason. They also come to me for the trial and I charge for travel over 20 miles. I also need full payment one month before their date to hold my services. Geez I sound like a nightmare right? lol But not really. I am just making sure my time is worth it, and it hasn't kept me from booking almost every weekend through the year.

Trust me, if I were getting the same money from doing fashion related stuff, even if it meant I worked more through the week, I would! Fashion is my passion *cough cough cheesy* lol. But money is money smile

WOAH! I feel like one of those flashback commercials just played:"That was me, 2 years ago, before I tried (insert brand name here)..." LOL.

Since this post I have been in wedding retirement for over a year now. I did weddngs until I got signed with my first agency and it got to hard to balance both. I don't knock weddings at all and it was good money while I did it but dang, I don't think I could go back. Its such a different flow and it killed me to schedule months ahead of time. I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal. lol

Apr 23 09 10:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

K M A wrote:

WOAH! I feel like one of those flashback commercials just played:"That was me, 2 years ago, before I tried (insert brand name here)..." LOL.

Since this post I have been in wedding retirement for over a year now. I did weddngs until I got signed with my first agency and it got to hard to balance both. I don't knock weddings at all and it was good money while I did it but dang, I don't think I could go back. Its such a different flow and it killed me to schedule months ahead of time. I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal. lol

I love doing weddings. Pays for my kit!

Apr 23 09 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

HUH?  The last date was Feb 09?? 

I tell you, Jordan - she rattled my brain!  GAH!  BRIDEZILLA! heeyyyy

Jordan Liberty wrote:

Apr 23 09 10:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

Lisa Johnson Makeup wrote:
HUH?  The last date was Feb 09?? 

I tell you, Jordan - she rattled my brain!  GAH!  BRIDEZILLA! heeyyyy

lol look at the original post!!!

2/01/07 hahaa

Apr 23 09 10:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm uping my rate NOW!  Grrrrr..... and if they don't like it, they can go to the dept stores.   Wheeee!

Jordan Liberty wrote:

I love doing weddings. Pays for my kit!

Apr 23 09 10:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm going to wear my Kathy Griffin tshirt on the wedding day "I WILL CUT A BITCH!"  wink  I'm not kidding...don't think I'm kidding now!

Jordan Liberty wrote:

lol look at the original post!!!

2/01/07 hahaa

Apr 23 09 10:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

I'm uping my rate NOW!  Grrrrr..... and if they don't like it, they can go to the dept stores.   Wheeee!

I charge an arm and a leg, I have a minimum of 4 people including the bride. Guaranteed $500 at least. Anything less isn't worth the dramz.

Apr 23 09 10:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

what do you charge for the consultation?  is that included?  and do you work on-location or do you have them come to you?  questions!!!!  inquiring minds....

Jordan Liberty wrote:

I charge an arm and a leg, I have a minimum of 4 people including the bride. Guaranteed $500 at least. Anything less isn't worth the dramz.

Apr 23 09 10:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

what do you charge for the consultation?  is that included?  and do you work on-location or do you have them come to you?  questions!!!!  inquiring minds....

I charge for the consultation. $40 if they come to me, free if they track me down on location, and $60 if I come to them. They usually come find me lol.

Apr 23 09 10:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

thanks Doll...smile 

Jordan Liberty wrote:

I charge for the consultation. $40 if they come to me, free if they track me down on location, and $60 if I come to them. They usually come find me lol.

Apr 23 09 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I do weddings smile

There's not much market at all here in Adelaide for anything else so weddings generate the majority of my makeup income.

I actually haven't had much drama at all. Eveyone's always really impressed.

Apr 23 09 10:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ZenaDamali

Boston, Massachusetts, US

One of the first things I noticed after moving from NYC to Nashville TN (the bible belt) is the obsession people seem to have with getting married.

People get married ASAP and like BIG church weddings in Nashville. Nevermind that the sanctity of marriage has been reduced to "who wants to marry a millionaire"...they are getting married no matter what!

A friend of mine just opened a bridal shop and if things go well, I will soon have a steady flow of clients from her store:-D

I need to have a 2nd marriage special..

Apr 23 09 11:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahKay

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

Bridal will be my biggest clientele.

Apr 24 09 12:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i don't see why not.. i get my day rate, and more, in under just few hour's work.. and plus.. most brides are nicer than some of those nutcases who think they have the rights to treat those making them look good to the public like trash just because they have SOME status

Apr 24 09 12:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

alex collins mua

London, England, United Kingdom

All my brides have been a dream to work with so far so these threads always freak me out alittle as I feel I must be well over due a bridezilla! lol

Apr 24 09 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i think you'll know whether the bride is worth it or not when doing the trial already.. 

if you don't think u can work with the bride, just don't take the deposit, and then just 'be booked'.

Apr 24 09 12:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

liz yu wrote:
i don't see why not.. i get my day rate, and more, in under just few hour's work.. and plus.. most brides are nicer than some of those nutcases who think they have the rights to treat those making them look good to the public like trash just because they have SOME status

For real. I have never had a bridezilla. (except for my own mother last year). Most of my brides end up falling asleep in my chair because they're so tired and frazzled. Supposedly I have a very soft touch. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And the money is great...I have 3 weddings this weekend and I'm set to make what a lot of people don't make in a month.

A little trick I use for brides I know are really fun...bring some OJ and champagne and let the girls make mimosas if they want them. (But not for you, Lisa!!...LOL) They eat that up, and it gets big tips. Even if they don't drink them (they always do), they love the thought.

Apr 24 09 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

alex collins mua wrote:
All my brides have been a dream to work with so far so these threads always freak me out a little as I feel I must be well over due a bridezilla! lol

Right? Everyone is always so happy! The energy is awesome. Sometimes as frantic as a fashion show, but still fun. It makes me wonder what is going on with some MUAs that say they're all bitches. The families are always sweet too. I really love doing the mothers...they feel sooooo pretty and special afterwards.

Apr 24 09 08:42 am Link

Hair Stylist

Vanessa Melgar

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

makeupladydiva wrote:
she said she was  looking for someone she could just give a love offering to(read:they'll do 11 peoples mu and get a $20 "tip")

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah  a love offering.  I LOVE IT.  People she doesn't even know are going to give her makeup for a love offering??  beautiful.  ohhhhhh stingy brides.

EDIT: on a side note I love weddings and for the most part have really sweet brides.  I did have one girl try to undercut me after I had already offered her a SMOKING deal (she's a friend of my brothers fiance and I knew she was on a budget).  But I told her thanks but no thanks and she agreed to the original price quote.  So funny how some people think there are makeup artists or hairstylist just running around dying to give away free services.

Apr 24 09 10:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Jordan Liberty wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Apr 24 09 10:50 am Link