Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Nicky-Layne

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska, US

I am a short model, but I know the reality is that I will never do runway. I don't ever even attempt or ask about it. I think several short models don't know where they want to go in the modeling world or are new and some just have false hopes. Just politely explain to them that promotional and commercial print is their field, not runway. smile

Nov 25 07 04:17 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Leanne M

New York, New York, US

As a designer, I personally wouldn't choose to have runway models that are less than 5'9". In the  4 runway shows that I've done the shortest models were 5'8", and were still great models, though I usually didn't get to choose all of my models.

However, when I do choose a model for a shoot they usually end up being as tall as I can get 'em. To me, the clothes just look better on a taller silhouette, and the ending result is more high-fashion.

But photoshoots are a totally different thing from runway because I have to admit there have been a couple really great 5'7" models who have rocked it in shoots with my stuff.

Nov 25 07 04:35 pm Link

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/MikeAolz/brianboitano.gif

Nov 25 07 04:41 pm Link

Model

Yigo, Guam, US

SLE Photography wrote:
We're not talking about Hobbits
We're talking about Haubbits
It's a term UdoR coined to describe short models who insist on holding on to the delusion that they will "CHNAGE TEH WORLDZ OMGWTFBBQ!!!111eleventy-one!" and "storm the runways for all short women!"
Note that the term isn't a derogatory reference to all short models, just a reality slap for the delusional ones.
For more discussion see this thread: https://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=153362

BTW, calling people "dumbass" is against the rules.

Sep 22 20 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

A thirteen-year-old thread rises from the grave.

Sep 22 20 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Nadirah B wrote:
Why do people complain about someone elses dreams?

Why did you choose that lady for your avatar?

Because there are objective standards that disqualify models for runway or high fashion. In each of these categories, the model is the accessory for the clothes not the other way around. Designers will provide a rack of garments in standard sizes and have neither the time nor inclination to tailor or produce non standard sized garments for non-celebrity models. Also for high fashion the models is hired to be a manikin t display and drape clothes over. I know working male models who had to change their workouts and reduce the size and bulk of their arms and pecs before booking high fashion work. Too much muscle stretches garments and they do not drape as well.

I never s#!t on someone’s dreams. I also respect that aesthetics regarding faces change al the time and different designers, photographers and editors have different tastes regarding faces. However there are objective standards of body types in regard to how clothes fit and move on a models that are a little more cut and dry. Height is one of them. There are so many models within that standard that models outside of that height or body rage will not find work.

What I do to support dreams is encourage models outside of those types to pursue areas more suited to their height and body type. I tell more muscular or shorter male models to focus on fitness or underwear which values larger muscles and does not have the height requirements. Also “catalogue”: models are “real people” types which have far wider range of types including shorter and heavier models of all ages. I try to never belittle or give an absolute “No” to anyone’s dream. However in support of their dreams I do break down their assets and point them in a direction where they can potentially find success.

Oct 07 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

There is runway and then there is runway. If you are talking about major fashion centers if you are shorter than 5'9 the chance is slim or none but if you are in a local show for a retailer shorter models are more like their customers, the fashions are off the rack and if you have a 100,000+ followers on IG that can add inches.

Oct 07 20 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
A thirteen-year-old thread rises from the grave.

After 37 pages, have we settled this argument?

Oct 07 20 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:

After 37 pages, have we settled this argument?

How many threads move off pg 1 these days ?

Oct 14 20 12:52 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

because if they walked they wouldn't keep up?

Oct 14 20 09:13 am Link