Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Sanitary/Hygienic Precautions Thread

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

Teresa Wylie wrote:
Believe it or not when i was in college, the tutor said it was fine to remove latex, prosthetics etc with acetone....i had my own cinema secrets remover luckily cause it really had a bad effect on the skin when someone tried taking latex off my face! So we switched it to the one i had.
They probabaly still use it now which is scarey to me.
We were at least taught all the sanitary procedures mentioned here, it is so important.

I had a bad experience with it personally too, and then I also was on a set where it was used to remove FX makeup from the body, and it literally turned the skin in the area  like, 3 shades lighter. And it wasn't a dryness thing either. As the day went by, the color returned to the area, but it took literally the whole day before it did.

Jan 04 08 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

is it o.k. to use this thread to ask hygiene questions?

If so, I was wondering if, from the first post, can you sanitize cream eyeshadows the same way as lipsticks? (like those revlon pallettes?) or those cream eye shadows that are in a stick form?

Also, if powder makeup is bad after 2 years - what in them goes bad?  just curious on that one...

Jan 08 08 07:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel MC

Dinuba, California, US

Julia Gerace wrote:

If so, I was wondering if, from the first post, can you sanitize cream eyeshadows the same way as lipsticks? (like those revlon pallettes?) or those cream eye shadows that are in a stick form?

Also, if powder makeup is bad after 2 years - what in them goes bad?  just curious on that one...

I would think it's okay to ask questions here.  smile

Yes, you can treat most cream products in the same manner.
Anything in cream form should be scraped using a spatula or knife to keep it sanitary.

Jan 09 08 02:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Julia Gerace wrote:

anything cream should be scraped out of the pallet with a clean pallet knife and placed onto a clea pallet.

powder make-up breaks down (if you can imagine it broken down any more) it can change colour. Bactria dosent really grow in powder but over time it does break down and its chemical compostion changes.
I had one powder that used to smell sweet, kinda like flowers, and then as it got older it started to smell funky.

so now I say if it smells funky its time to chuck it, it doesnt rhyme but hey i never for get it....

I would prefer to throw something out than  be cheep and use it and cause a really bad reaction.

Jan 09 08 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

David Klasfeld wrote:
Sanitizing Lipstick, Concealer & Other Creme Products:
Dip in, or spray with, Alcohol (91% is preferable), and then wipe completely with a clean tissue, presenting a "virgin" surface to work from. You can then remove a small piece of the product and work from a sanitary surface, or work directly from the tube or palette. In the case of cream concealers and foundations where blending is expected, use of a mixing palette is preferred by most professionals.

yep--  I've been learning to use a pallette and take stuff out etc.... but... what if you have a cream whatever in a pot and someone has put their fingers in it... can you still use the above method and salvage it? or is it pretty much a lost cause....it doesn't matter to me if I keep it or chuck it but I love the colors and if I could keep it, I would love to know that I can use it cleanly.. you know?

Jan 09 08 06:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Relaxing Minds- MUA Taj

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I'm a Licensed Aesthetician in TN

Sterilization kills ALL microganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi and bacterial spores. Autoclaves is a heat sterilization item.  Sponges, tweezers, comedone extractors, etc can be autoclaves.  Items that are made of glass should not be autoclaved as they can break.

Disinfection kills MOST microgranisms on hard surfaces.  The do not kill bacterial spores.  Disinfectants include quats & alcohol.  Quats are more effective than alcohol.  Hospital grade disinfectants have been tested and meet specific requirements for killing microrganisms.  Antiseptics are disinfectants used on SKIN.

Most items must be immersed 10-20 min based on product used or sterlized (autoclaved) for 30 min to be EFFECTIVE.

Alcohol 91% is sold in Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aide, Target and similar places should be used on products immediately after used.  Washing in soap & water is a good idea for items that do not rust.  Then follow with immersion in barbicide for at LEAST 10 - 20 min.

Hospital Grade Barbicide (non-rust) which is available in most beauty supply places including Sally's is effective in killing viruses. Follow directions on packaging and make a fresh batch daily.

Most items Makeup artist use will not need to be sterlized or disinfectant because they are often one use disposable products.  Tweezers and sponges are examples of items that barbicide may be used on.

As far as disposable applicators: there are several great resources including walmart, kmart, target, beauty suppliers, cosmetic counters (grab and run--- LOL)  and buying them from direct sellers of cosmetics (Avon, Mary Kay).  If you are licensed you can purchase from Universal Companies, The Industry Source/The Beauty Book, Spa & Body Solutions and many other places.  They also sell the disposable bikinis for men & women, makeup artist may find they need.  Another alternative is www.qosmedix.com which sells in bulk.  I had an old catalog of theirs from when I worked as a buyer/planner for a bath & body company.  I emailed them asking for samples and prices as there are no prices in catalog.  They sell lots of disposable applicators, sponges, apparel- bras, robes, slippers & gloves-, bottles, jars (including sifter), bags, acrylic jars, professional non-disposable items (such as brushes, brush sets, cosmetics bags, hip brush bag, etc). They asked for a Tax Id # which I do not have.  I explained via email that I do not have a tax id but I do have an EIN and my business is service.  I explained I need the items to perform santitary services.  They sent out the catalog and samples which where received today.  They sell medical and salon/spa quality disposables.  The catalog now 400 pages.  They sent me a nice selection of their makeup disposables as requested in individual baggies with price minimums.  There prices are not bag at all.  1,000 lip gloss wands are $53.00 meaning they are about $ .05 each and some of the spatulas are $25 per 1,000.  Cheaper than my other suppliers.  The different is that qosmedix only sells in BULK so you have to buy 1,000 at a time.  I seriously suggest to check out their website.  www.qosmedix.com to see everything they sell.  If a group of MUA's gets together and purchase, they save even more money, especially if no one wants 1,000 they can just split the cost and product. 

Disposable applicators are the most hygienic items you can use but please keep them in plastic bags or sanitary place before use.

Apr 30 08 10:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Relaxing Minds- MUA Taj

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
yep--  I've been learning to use a pallette and take stuff out etc.... but... what if you have a cream whatever in a pot and someone has put their fingers in it... can you still use the above method and salvage it? or is it pretty much a lost cause....it doesn't matter to me if I keep it or chuck it but I love the colors and if I could keep it, I would love to know that I can use it cleanly.. you know?

After getting the product you need and placing in onto the palette... close it and put it away to keep people from touching it. Other than spraying it down and taking a spatula to completely dip out the contaminated product if you can, there is not much you can do to salvage it.  Just keep it out of reach as fast as possible.

Apr 30 08 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

North Shore Stylings

Haleiwa, Hawaii, US

This is really good stuff gang!  Let's not forget to mention that we need to wash our hands!  I often work with other MUA's who are super anal about cleaning thier tools, etc., but will begin to apply makeup just after eating or talking on the phone - or even after a smoke break - without washing thier hands first.  Antibacterial soap for 30 seconds should be good!

Apr 30 08 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Relaxing Minds- MUA Taj

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Ohhh I have seen that so much.... just NASTY.  I keep antibacterial hand gel and a diluted alcohol/witch hazel solution for my hands (alcohol is so drying) in my kit.

Apr 30 08 10:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Querelle

Seattle, Washington, US

Great spread David...thank you

May 01 08 01:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cosmetic Couture

Riverside, California, US

I don't know who brought this post back from the dead, but I have always thought it was great for basic education of sanitation, etc....

I do have a little tip to add as well.

When I fist started doing makeup, I had teh hardest time remember NOT to dip the mascara wand back into the tube of mascara.  Thankfully I always carried several tubes of mascara at the time so I could throw them away or give them to the model.  So instead, I had to develope my own way of remembering to NOT double dip after years of double dipping when doing my OWN mascara.  So....when using disposible mascara wands, after I dip the disposible wand into the barrel, on the way out, I bend the spoolie part to an almost 90 degree angle to the stick.  This allows me to apply the mascara a little easier, but also ensures that I can not re-insert the wand back into the barrel. 

After years of doing this, it is still a habit of bending the spoolie, more for application ease then anything else, but it still reminds me on those days that I have worked on too many models and too many hours and dead tired.... no double dipping. 

Just a suggestion.

May 01 08 03:13 am Link

Model

June Huang

San Francisco, California, US

I wonder if anyone's ever done this, but we use UV light in our hoods at work.  You can pretty much kill almost anything with the sun.  (That's why I like to dry my clothes in the sun.  Also, it's energy efficient. big_smile
So, I guess, if you were really strapped for cash, you could lay out your tools in the sun for a couple hours and then disinfect them with alcohol and then put them away for future use.
Has anyone actually done this, though?  Just a random thought and suggestion.

May 01 08 03:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Mandamonium

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Cosmetic Couture wrote:
I don't know who brought this post back from the dead, but I have always thought it was great for basic education of sanitation, etc....

I do have a little tip to add as well.

When I fist started doing makeup, I had teh hardest time remember NOT to dip the mascara wand back into the tube of mascara.  Thankfully I always carried several tubes of mascara at the time so I could throw them away or give them to the model.  So instead, I had to develope my own way of remembering to NOT double dip after years of double dipping when doing my OWN mascara.  So....when using disposible mascara wands, after I dip the disposible wand into the barrel, on the way out, I bend the spoolie part to an almost 90 degree angle to the stick.  This allows me to apply the mascara a little easier, but also ensures that I can not re-insert the wand back into the barrel. 

After years of doing this, it is still a habit of bending the spoolie, more for application ease then anything else, but it still reminds me on those days that I have worked on too many models and too many hours and dead tired.... no double dipping. 

Just a suggestion.

I bend the spoolie too for ease of application, but that is a great idea so that you can't double dip!!!  I never even thought of that!!

May 01 08 09:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer van Son

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So... any tips for sterilizing at home?  I do traditional eyebrow shaping as an additional service.

Does anyone know where to buy affordable autoclav sterilizers?

May 01 08 10:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Relaxing Minds- MUA Taj

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jennifer van Son  wrote:
So... any tips for sterilizing at home?  I do traditional eyebrow shaping as an additional service.

Does anyone know where to buy affordable autoclav sterilizers?

If you are licensed there are place you can purchase inexpensive sterlizers. 

www.theindustrysource.com has a sterlizing tray for $15  It does not use heat. You add the barbicide and place the items in the tray for submersion.

www.universalcompanies.com has a Ultrasonic Cleaning System for $179.00. Cleans, kills viruses, and disinfects in one step.  It complies with state regulations. I actually own one of these.  It also doubles as a jewelry cleaner.

May 01 08 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ayden Grace

Dallas, Texas, US

Thank you for posting this! It always helps to know what to look out for in MUAs on set and to know what to do in situations where one needs to apply makeup to a model without a MUA.

Dec 29 08 10:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

BeautyFX

Noordoostpolder, Flevoland, Netherlands

Reading this thread I noticed that a lot of you clean/sterilize with barbicide.
The active ingredient in it (Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride) is also the active ingredient in soap.

When I was in college my microbiology teacher told us that the best way to clean is the use of dishwash detergent and hot water.

So make a solution of dreft and boiling hot water and clean your material with that should be the same as using barbacide.

Regarding the issue acetone or spirit gum. I think spirit gum contains ether (Diethyl ether, also known as ether and ethoxyethane), that can be purchased at the drugstore as well. (Keep the bottle closed otherwise it is gone very quickly) My mom was a diabetic and whenever she needed to remove the gum from a bandaid she used ether. Worked perfectly and did nothing to the skin (only feels cold)

Dec 29 08 12:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Courtney Starr

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

thanks!

Dec 30 08 08:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Emma Groves MUA

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I am very new to MM and the industry so I am very sorry if this has been answered already what is the best thing to use to disenfect eye shadows? preferably available in the uk

Mar 22 09 05:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Emma Groves MUA

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

bump

Mar 24 09 09:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aziza Walker

New York, New York, US

Emma North wrote:
I am very new to MM and the industry so I am very sorry if this has been answered already what is the best thing to use to disenfect eye shadows? preferably available in the uk

Read the first post in this thread.

Mar 24 09 10:03 am Link

Model

newsie

Buffalo, New York, US

i had a mua once show up and put her own makeup on me and i didnt realize it till she was half way thru....

how..sanitary is THAT?!?!

Mar 24 09 10:09 am Link

Hair Stylist

Vanessa Melgar

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Elizabeth Gerbino wrote:
Does Barbicide eat through containers like The Cinema Secrets Brush cleaner does?

I've never had this happen and I usually use plastic containers or glass jars.  be sure you're mixing it in proper proportions since it is INCREDIBLY strong. 
If you want to carry a little around with you in a jar (as previously suggested) I'd use a glass jar (heavy, I know, but better than having it eat through the plastic and leak. wink I think that'd be a great use for old MUFE F&B bottles, they're so thick and sturdy.)

edit:  keep in mind that if you carry some around with you it MUST be changed after each day of use.  You can't let it sit with contaminates in it and just keep using it for a week or so.

Mar 24 09 10:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There was nothing about disinfecting BRUSHES in-between models. That should definitely be added. But I'm just too lazy to write that much right now.

Mar 24 09 11:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Zamir

New York, New York, US

Also, don't blow on the brushes. Tap off excess product onto a towel or tap the brush handle against the table edge to get the excess off.

Aug 06 09 04:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sandra_D

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

It can be hard to remember not to "double dip" into mascara and after reading a thread about a model "helping herself" to the MUA's makeup, I decided to be safe and I cut all of the applicators out of my mascara, lip gloss, and anything else that has an applicator.

Aug 06 09 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

Los Angeles, California, US

Sandra_D wrote:
It can be hard to remember not to "double dip" into mascara and after reading a thread about a model "helping herself" to the MUA's makeup, I decided to be safe and I cut all of the applicators out of my mascara, lip gloss, and anything else that has an applicator.

def. do that! i cut off all the applicators on my lip glosessas ,y friend loved to help herself to them..so gross.

Aug 06 09 05:59 pm Link