Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Ok.  This whole thing got screwed up by the combination of the voting issue, the multi-way tie, and MM crashing which was causing fits with loading the correct pages.

First of all, regarding D Magi's post just above, as with other incidents that we have had in the past  where there have been complaints about voting issues the best I can do in a bad situation is to err on the side of avoiding even the APPEARANCE of impropriety.
Unfortunately this can lead to situations where a friend or someone we've worked with is voting for our work with no bad faith or intention of breaking the rules but if it sways a close vote and causes issues some action must be taken to stop others from doing it deliberately and claiming innocence.  It's not a fair process but it's the best answer under the circumstances given the present setup of the contest as it was given to me.

Second, regarding tonight's vote what occurred was that due to trying to straighten out the votes in the midst of MM's server issues with the pages loading screwy the judges & myself were viewing D Magi's SUNDAY entry.  I would also beg some indulgence from the crowd on the basis of the Sake I had with my birthday dinner.  One of the judges was reading the DT and PMed Chris Keeling to discuss it and they realized that the tie breaker had been based on the wrong image.  The contest was re-voted based on the CORRECT entry and D Magi's was selected as the winner.

This's only the second time we've had a major screwup like this in announcing the winner in over a year of the contest.  I apologize to both D Magi and Carly for the confusion, as well as to all of you.  Thanks to Chris & my judge who noticed the goof.

Dec 08 08 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

MC 2 wrote:
Is it a secret what the issue with the vote was?

Usually votes are DQ'd in the thread.

One of the votes for D Magi was challenged due to the poster of the vote being someone who's worked with him & whose only forum posts have been to vote for him.  After speaking with them about it, it was clear that it was not a deliberate vote stacking attempt on his part or an attempt to unduly influence the contest on hers.
I DQed her vote to avoid the appearance of impropriety & put the contest to the judges based on the tie.

Dec 08 08 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

D Magi Visual Concepts wrote:
Oops, my bad.  A misunderstanding.

Thank you, everyone.

As I explained in the PM, the mistaken tie breaker was based on a wrong link.

Like I said in my post about it, tho, the DQ of the vote stands.  It was the best way to handle a bad circumstance.  Normally there's not so much of an issue about ONE friend/person you've worked with voting.  "Stacking" is usually evident because SEVERAL people vote.  In this case it seemed odd because of it being one person whose ONLY posts have been to vote for you.  As I clearly stated, I do not believe you or Mi Mi had any intentions of wrongdoing but because others would use the situation to try & create a loophole to exploit the contest I felt the DQ was the only option.  Since the situation is so unusual I hope there will be no need to try & amend the rules but if it becomes an issue again we'll have to look for a way to address it.

Dec 08 08 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

Los Angeles, California, US

Thank you, James and Chris.

James, I totally understand where you are coming from.  I know you have an unenviable and difficult job maintaining this competition, and I appreciate the hard work you do to protect its integrity.

I've competed in many "print comps" and have desired one here on MM.  I just recently discovered this competition and have been thrilled to be a part of it.

Thank you, all, again.

Dec 08 08 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

SYI

Evesham, England, United Kingdom

Good morning/evening/night (depending on your time zone)
I have been participating on and off and have been lucky enough to get a vote or two and have just spent quite a time over the past week ploughing through the 100+ pages of this discussion. (Have to say, I did skip *large* chunks of it).
Anyway, I haven't seen an update to the list of members' names for critique for a while now - may I add my name to this list, wherever it is, as I am happy to receive (and give) constructive criticism?
I don't feel I have been around long enough to make decent suggestions as to how to up the numbers participating or voting, though it's sad that there are so few folk taking part.

Regards to all
Simon

Dec 09 08 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

ON a brighter note.....the page that had flipped on my birthday...nearly two months ago has finally flipped again. Maybe this will flip again sooner than a two month wait. smile

I should've waited until more caffeine went thru my IV....I had to read the explanation of this cluster fuck twice lol

Dec 09 08 04:40 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SYI wrote:
Good morning/evening/night (depending on your time zone)
I have been participating on and off and have been lucky enough to get a vote or two and have just spent quite a time over the past week ploughing through the 100+ pages of this discussion. (Have to say, I did skip *large* chunks of it).
Anyway, I haven't seen an update to the list of members' names for critique for a while now - may I add my name to this list, wherever it is, as I am happy to receive (and give) constructive criticism?
I don't feel I have been around long enough to make decent suggestions as to how to up the numbers participating or voting, though it's sad that there are so few folk taking part.

Regards to all
Simon

Simon, this thread's been rather dead & I'm working on a plan to bring it back.  We'll put you on the list.  smile

Dec 09 08 08:27 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

part of the blame for this threads demise is my fault. Health, family travails and more to the point - a disappointment in the lack of discussion of the actual entries or just photogrpghy and modeling - all contributed to my letting things slide.

i should have or at the very least i should have tried to see if someone else was interested.

I am very sorry

dj

Dec 13 08 07:01 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

For anyone wondering, the contest is currently suspended.

Please see this thread:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=384775

Dec 18 08 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Guy Carnegie

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

I uploaded my 18+ image to the wrong POTD. What should I do?

Guy

Dec 28 09 12:16 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Guy Carnegie wrote:
I uploaded my 18+ image to the wrong POTD. What should I do?

Guy

Post your question here Guy........

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=403788

This thread has been dead for a year and the contest it's talking about doesn't exist anymore.  You'll get the answer to your question in the other thread I just linked you to.  smile

Dec 28 09 12:23 am Link