Forums > Critique > critique please.....

Photographer

PhotographerEX

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

please let me know your honest professional opinion of this shot....and please include things i could have done to make the shot better! thanks guys!
also i'd like to include i took this with my film minolta and it was taken in local encanto park.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050623/1/42ba6e8e78621.jpg

Jun 25 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

papparazzi

Richmond, Virginia, US

pose looks a bit uncomfortable

Jun 25 05 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Disc Camera

New York, New York, US

Background should be out of focus.

Jun 25 05 08:27 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Her toe's  cut off.  lol  Sorry, I'm weird like that.

Jun 25 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by zeke: 
pose looks a bit uncomfortable

Posted by HadesTT: 
Background should be out of focus.

I have to agree on both. You also might have tried a vertical shot to eliminate the distraction on both sides since the subject of the image is the model and not the real estate.

Jun 25 05 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

CD Knight

New York, New York, US

James you got some gorgeous light on Mariana's face.....that is what you shoud have focused on?  Always look for where the light looks best and try shooting that area.  The image if cropped into a beauty shot.......would make it IMHO a great shot!

Best,

Israel

Jun 25 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

the drain covers in the back ground bother me... I'd have cropped in portrait from the top of her head to her hands.

lovely light though! definately compliments her skin tones!

Jun 28 05 11:41 am Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

from a model's POV..the way she is bent forward is not good for someone who is that busty..it gives it almost extreme forshortening. Light is beautiful though..I think cropping it tighter would enchance it more..just my 2 cents..

Jun 28 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

She has a look on her face like - "What, are you just trying to see down my shirt?" 

Instead of shooting "down angle" with her for this, come in more low level - something level with her.  Go portrait with it instead of landscape as was previously mentioned.  That way you won't lose the beautiful lighting on her face, but you get more of her instead of alot of added headache in the shot (like the things on the ground by her left hip/shoulder).

Hope it helps.

Jun 28 05 02:53 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

The cut off toes looks weird. She should have showed her fingers on both hands instead of balling one up, it looks weird as well.

Other then, I like the picture.

Jun 28 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Photography

Valrico, Florida, US

Might have tried the same photo from a lower angle,  would have helped cleanup some of the distractions in the backround

Jun 29 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

She was obviously very tense, look at how her hand is balled into a fist, try and see if an angle, like fosse, would make her more comfortable,

Star

Jun 29 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Filipe Marques

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

OK. I looked at this shot and the first thing I noticed was the outfit. It's a desert setting right? Doesn't fit together. Technically it good. The exposure is on. The lighting is great.  I agree with the comment about shooting from a lower angle. I imagine the sky looked amazing behind her and incorperating that into the shot would have made it SNAP! A lower angle with a moderate wide angle lens would have made her seem taller and would make a powerful impression.

Jun 30 05 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Okay, crank open the aperture for a shallower depth of field. and yeah, what ervyone said, the pose is bad, the light is good and the background has drain covers.

I would also have maybe 2 minions with reflectors, one soft gold and one silver or white.

Don't know about the lower angle, depends on the pose. for a seated pose like that, personally, I like to get a little height on my subject, maybe camera at about 7 feet. apple crates or your standard folding ladder.

Jun 30 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You could also shoot from a higher angle with reduced DOF to simplify the bkg and straighten up your model while still shooting down her blouse.

Jun 30 05 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Are you taking a picture of the model or the park? If the model turn the camera 90 degrees, crop and open the lens to blur the background focusing all the attention on the model. If the park use a wider angle lens making the model part of the park and not filling the image.

Jun 30 05 09:57 pm Link