Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > HS/MUA, less than 3 months experience. FEEDBACK?

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Robert Rea

West Hollywood, California, US

Hi MMers. Please let me know how you think I'm doing. Check out my latest photos and leave me feedback, whether it be positive or constructive. I am new at this and am almost done with beauty school. Would love to know what you all think. THANKS!

Jan 12 10 04:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Hannah OBrien

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Well I'm new to the industry as well, so take my advice with the grain of salt that I'm offering, but...

I think you're off to a great start.  I'm no hair stylist but I think your work is really great in that regard.  It's never as easy as you think it is!

Makeup - for me it looks a little heavy-handed.  The best piece of advice I have been given was that a great MUA knows when to stop (and it's something I'm still working on myself).  A lot of the bases are quite thick for my taste, and there is a lot going on in many of the photos (eyes/lips both competing for attention for example).

I'd love to see some more straightforward, 'clean' beauty looks in your portfolio.  Drama is great and we love to keep it fun, but clean and simple beauty is often what is required on most paying jobs.

I also think your work will get to the next level if you start working with better photographers and models.  You've got the talent, so start being super fussy about who you work with (especially TFP).  Only work in teams that will produce better photos than what is already in your portfolio.

But you've got the skills, I'm jealous of your hair styling, and I can see the passion there.  Keep going, keep testing, and keep loving what you do  smile

Jan 12 10 05:28 pm Link