This thread was locked on 2010-01-12 18:55:44
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Which Daughter are you? Critiques

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

In the fine traditions of Dr. Cox [Scrubs] and to inaugurate (har har) the opening of the Daughters of the American Revolution Critique forum, I couldn't think of a better way than to offer insight to the next 10 people.  And then tell you which fine old lady you remind me of.  Feel free to ask questions when you join in, but do remember - I'm going to call you a woman's name.

Jan 12 10 05:44 pm Link

Model

Carolina Tess

Tupelo, Mississippi, US

Hello!

Jan 12 10 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ann Baldy wrote:
Hello!

You're cheating - you already have a woman's name! tongue

I do need you to ask something, though, as as a non-Wizard, I have no idea which retouch work is yours or not.

Jan 12 10 05:59 pm Link

Model

Carolina Tess

Tupelo, Mississippi, US

SRB Photo wrote:

You're cheating - you already have a woman's name! tongue

I do need you to ask something, though, as as a non-Wizard, I have no idea which retouch work is yours or not.

any thing with secret Treasures is mine unless otherwise specified. Yep I cheated. Bad me! LOL

Jan 12 10 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

I am lost.  hmm

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.NYPhotographics.com

Jan 12 10 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

So, how do you think I can improve my retouching? What should I focus on next, keeping in mind that I can't learn like I used to and have to take things like this a little at a time until they sink in.

You can call me "Daisy" if you like. tongue

Jan 12 10 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ann Baldy wrote:

any thing with secret Treasures is mine unless otherwise specified. Yep I cheated. Bad me! LOL

I think you're seeing what you're looking for but need to spend a bit more time getting there if you're wanting to take your work another step.  And you remind me of Abigail Adams.

Jan 12 10 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
I am lost.  hmm

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.NYPhotographics.com

Daughters of the American Revolution - a genealogical association of women who can trace their ancestry to the founding of the US or in service thereof at that time.  It was the first thing I thought of when I read 'DAR' in the forum title smile.

Jan 12 10 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
So, how do you think I can improve my retouching? What should I focus on next, keeping in mind that I can't learn like I used to and have to take things like this a little at a time until they sink in.

You can call me "Daisy" if you like. tongue

Color management and restraint.  The latter will be harder in a habit sense; the former an incredible headache academically.  Both will serve you well, though, and it turns out you have a great resource to learn in - even if time will be something of an issue.

And you're more the Clara Barton type than a Daisy.  Unless you want to post a pic of yourself in the Dukes?  scary

Jan 12 10 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

SRB Photo wrote:

Color management and restraint.  The latter will be harder in a habit sense; the former an incredible headache academically.  Both will serve you well, though, and it turns out you have a great resource to learn in - even if time will be something of an issue.

And you're more the Clara Barton type than a Daisy.  Unless you want to post a pic of yourself in the Dukes?  scary

No one wants to see that! yikes Not even me.

I think a calibrated monitor would be the first step in solving problem #1. I really should invest in some decent hardware calibration equipment since I've decided to really go all out in photography (while still staying amateur).

The second problem....well....I do get carried away sometimes. My problem there, and I know it, is that as I'm working on something my eyes adjust to it so I go a bit further...then they adjust again. So I go yet further. It's a vicious cycle. I need to learn to step away from the computer for a bit while doing my marathon retouching sessions.

Thanks, Sean! Always appreciate your input.

Jan 12 10 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
The second problem....well....I do get carried away sometimes. My problem there, and I know it, is that as I'm working on something my eyes adjust to it so I go a bit further...then they adjust again. So I go yet further. It's a vicious cycle. I need to learn to step away from the computer for a bit while doing my marathon retouching sessions.

I can identify it because I do it too wink.

Jan 12 10 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

saiello

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Have a wack at me, however I insist that you as Dr. Cox would use not only a woman's name but also one that is a pop star, and to top it off a name that was not used in said episode!

= )
Steven

Jan 12 10 06:50 pm Link