Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > What Path Should I Take?

Model

Nicole Michelle

Albany, New York, US

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for stopping to read and possibly help me out.

I've done a diverse amount of work from fashion, beauty, portraiture, artistic and others. I just am not sure with my stats and with what I have done so far, what the right career path for me would be. In your own personal opinion what area of modeling do you you think I should work more on and stick with? And if you have any other critiques for me, feel free to add those in.

Jan 12 10 10:17 pm Link

Model

C h r i s t i a n

San Francisco, California, US

commercial print or acting for petite models

Jan 12 10 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

You have a commercial face. Your height is an issue and limiting, but you're not in a major market competing with a million amazons, so you should be able to find work.

Add at least one current no-makeup, hair back, white undershirt, limited retouching, just sort of clean shot to your MM portfolio so photographers can see what you really look like. It doesn't have to show you as perfect, it just needs to be real.

If you don't have an agent, just start doing your homework and then hit the pavement. Who is advertising in the local newspaper or in local magazines and using models who look like you? Who are the top local commercial photographers? Drop off your headshot, shake hands, make contact.

Jan 12 10 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Jan 12 10 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Moderator Warning!

C h r i s t i a n wrote:
commercial print or acting for petite models

Please be aware that this is the Serious Critique forum, and responses are expected to be fully thought and fleshed out critiques.  Short, general, or vague responses are not appropriate for this forum.

__

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=85512

Jan 12 10 10:36 pm Link

Model

Nicole Michelle

Albany, New York, US

OMFG 7174 wrote:
You have a commercial face. Your height is an issue and limiting, but you're not in a major market competing with a million amazons, so you should be able to find work.

Add at least one current no-makeup, hair back, white undershirt, limited retouching, just sort of clean shot to your MM portfolio so photographers can see what you really look like. It doesn't have to show you as perfect, it just needs to be real.

If you don't have an agent, just start doing your homework and then hit the pavement. Who is advertising in the local newspaper or in local magazines and using models who look like you? Who are the top local commercial photographers? Drop off your headshot, shake hands, make contact.

I'm not represented by anyone and for the height factor and apparently according to a previous critique waist and hip size, I wont find a lot of work or agencies willing to take me on. But, are there many agencies whose main focus is commercial print? I've looked up some online and so far every agency has a height standard of 5'7" for my age range. If you know of any, could you tell me the names and such so I have something more to go on? That would be wonderful. Also, I have an editorial shoot on Thursday so maybe I could ask her to take a couple clean headshots for me. Thanks for the great advice!

Jan 12 10 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

With your body type, you'll probably have more luck hitting the pavement and shaking hands with potential clients than you would spending energy trying to find someone to do the same job for you while they manage twenty or more other girls. If you want it, you have to work for it. Get out there and smile. Be the only model a business owner knows, and when they need one they'll call you. Build your own Rolodex, don't wait for a local agent to deign to use theirs for you.

Just make sure you are giving out business contact info and not your home number or personal email. You don't want stalkers (I assume).

Jan 12 10 10:48 pm Link