Photographer

Kidtee Hello

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tell me what you think of my body of work:)

Jan 13 10 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100111/14/4b4baaa8a616f_m.jpg
This is fun and my favorite from your portfolio, but the eyes are not in sharp focus

I like your use of an almost animated style with color and life, but when they look like selective color, feet and hands are missing, or color is off it takes away from the image

Jan 13 10 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I think you're using effects to compensate for compositional problems and some insecurity about showing what is really coming out of your camera.

The things in your portfolio that you've over-conceived and then slaughtered in Photoshop are simply not good for diagnostic analysis of your camera technique.

Here would be a good exercise: Take a camera with a lens in the 30mm to 50mm range and just walk around in a place with lots of people, like a carnival or a sporting event, shooting documentary style. Set your ISO to 100 for daylight or 400 for artificial light at night. Keep the camera on manual mode, Don't use a flash, don't adjust anything but your f-stop and shutter speed, and don't pose people. Just capture what you see. Be very selective about pulling the trigger and only take what would be one or two rolls of film, 20-50 shots. Don't retouch the images or adjust contrast, just shrink them for the web and post them here as a set.

The pro photographers will be able to give you a much better critique on your technique and style in that sort of exercise than by seeing your current portfolio, and I think you'll get a lot out of learning how you work with the camera when you're not able to change the environment.

Jan 13 10 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Kidtee Hello

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100111/14/4b4baaa8a616f_m.jpg
This is fun and my favorite from your portfolio, but the eyes are not in sharp focus

I like your use of an almost animated style with color and life, but when they look like selective color, feet and hands are missing, or color is off it takes away from the image

Thank you yea I been a little to happy with Vibrance..... I was like a kid in a candy store I just couldn't help myself..... Trying to learn more self control hehe

Jan 13 10 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kidtee Hello

Nashville, Tennessee, US

OMFG 7174 wrote:
I think you're using effects to compensate for compositional problems and some insecurity about showing what is really coming out of your camera.

The things in your portfolio that you've over-conceived and then slaughtered in Photoshop are simply not good for diagnostic analysis of your camera technique.

Here would be a good exercise: Take a camera with a lens in the 30mm to 50mm range and just walk around in a place with lots of people, like a carnival or a sporting event, shooting documentary style. Set your ISO to 100 for daylight or 400 for artificial light at night. Keep the camera on manual mode, Don't use a flash, don't adjust anything but your f-stop and shutter speed, and don't pose people. Just capture what you see. Be very selective about pulling the trigger and only take what would be one or two rolls of film, 20-50 shots. Don't retouch the images or adjust contrast, just shrink them for the web and post them here as a set.

The pro photographers will be able to give you a much better critique on your technique and style in that sort of exercise than by seeing your current portfolio, and I think you'll get a lot out of learning how you work with the camera when you're not able to change the environment.

You know I been so far removed from shooting film for so long that I know that could help.....
I will do that, and see what happens..... I have so 512 MB Cards still I bet I can only get about that many shots on them...

thanks I will try it!

It may be a bit ...  I do have a groupshoot coming up that I am hosting Maybe I will try to do that there threw out the day:)

Thanks!

Jan 13 10 08:05 pm Link