House of Nudes

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Please let me know how I can improve in regards to this photo:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/0 … 244e84.jpg

Jan 13 10 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

The image is rather static to me.  The composition leaves quite a bit to be desired...the model is also completely centered within the image, and I don't find myself looking through the photo, just at the model.

It looks as if the model was wearing some kind of undergarment that left a mark around their waist, which grabs my attention.

And I feel as if the light could have been used better.  There's light on the model's face and body, but everything else falls flat.  Perhaps turning the model slightly against the light to do some side lighting would have created more interesting shadows.

(and something seems just a tad bit off about the color, but color isn't a strong suit of mine in the least bit)

Jan 13 10 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

House of Nudes

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Laura Ann Experimental wrote:
The image is rather static to me.  The composition leaves quite a bit to be desired...the model is also completely centered within the image, and I don't find myself looking through the photo, just at the model.

It looks as if the model was wearing some kind of undergarment that left a mark around their waist, which grabs my attention.

And I feel as if the light could have been used better.  There's light on the model's face and body, but everything else falls flat.  Perhaps turning the model slightly against the light to do some side lighting would have created more interesting shadows.

(and something seems just a tad bit off about the color, but color isn't a strong suit of mine in the least bit)

Thank you!  I am really trying to improve on the rule of thirds.  When I do nudes, I try to have the model wear loose fitting clothing prior.

Thank you for your critique - I really appreciate it and am willing to hear on how I can improve.

I think it would have been better if I positioned the model to the far right.  Do you agree?

Also, this was an abandoned factory...I didn't have access to using lighting, so I used an external flash.  I usually bounce off of the ceiling.  Any suggestions when using a flash?

Jan 13 10 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

House of Nudes wrote:

Thank you!  I am really trying to improve on the rule of thirds.  When I do nudes, I try to have the model wear loose fitting clothing prior.

Thank you for your critique - I really appreciate it and am willing to hear on how I can improve.

I think it would have been better if I positioned the model to the far right.  Do you agree?

I do think positioning the model to the right would have helped...keeping the log at the edge of the page.  The corner of the could be used as a way to anchor and balance the image. 

But that's what I would have done, and I don't claim to be the best at critiquing.  So if someone comes in here with different advice, and they're better able to judge, definitely take their advice over mine.

Jan 13 10 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

House of Nudes

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Laura Ann Experimental wrote:

I do think positioning the model to the right would have helped...keeping the log at the edge of the page.  The corner of the could be used as a way to anchor and balance the image. 

But that's what I would have done, and I don't claim to be the best at critiquing.  So if someone comes in here with different advice, and they're better able to judge, definitely take their advice over mine.

You are welcome to judge!  I am open to all critiques and I agree with you.

Jan 13 10 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I think there is just too much going on. You haven't made any choices. 90% of photography is editing what the viewer will perceive. You don't seem to be editing in this shot, you have the kitchen sink in there, it's static, nothing flows.

Jan 13 10 08:45 pm Link