Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > what works and what doesn't

Photographer

Kardan Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I'd appreciate feedback on what does and does not work in my images, and on my portfolio in general.

K

Jan 14 10 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

What are your career goals and artistic objectives? Give us some context.

Jan 14 10 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Kardan Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

For me, a successful image creates an emotional response, which is why I am interested in photographing people, possibly for fashion/glamour as well as portraits.

I would like to develop my skills up to a professional level, though given my geographic location actually doing photography as a professional is unlikely.

Still struggling to find my own voice/style, but I figure if it comes, it will come in its own time.

K

Jan 14 10 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Kaveh Kardan wrote:
Still struggling to find my own voice/style, but I figure if it comes, it will come in its own time.

This is what I really see in your work. I think you just need to keep shooting and trying to challenge yourself. You just need more practice and more experimentation. Technically you're doing alright. Direction-wise as an artist with a voice, you're not there yet. I think you need to get to a point where you're making more choices. Exclude more things from your images, and be more specific with your voice (or go the other way and include more in your images to be specific in what you don't exclude). It's all about making more choices and knowing what you want before the shutter opens.

Jan 14 10 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kardan Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Thank you.  I'll take some time and think on your advice.

Jan 15 10 12:38 am Link