Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > very confused

Model

sortayga

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello. I am very confused. I have been told by professional photographers, agency directors and other industry professionals that i have a great look. as far as measurements go, i am exactly what everyone else in high fashion is. i am 5'11'' 123 lbs,

but when i submit photos to top agencies i dont get a reply. i am with a smaller agency in LA, but i want to start to do international work. i have a unique look i think and paired with the right people i think i can be a good model? i know how to pose, i know what angles work with my body....but i dont understand the absence of replys from agencies... and maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Jan 14 10 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For a lot of people, no reply on their part is in fact a reply.  It means that they are not interested.  They simply don't want to take the time to write some sort of letter of rejection.  You have a nice look.  Best of luck to you in your career.

Jan 14 10 04:40 pm Link

Model

sortayga

i understand that. im trying to find out WHY theyre not replying.

Jan 14 10 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

There is a spark in the eyes, that grabs the attention of the viewer, that makes the viewer wish s/he were in the same room as the woman in the image. Giving oneself to the image in a way that commands attention, the feeling of heads turing as she walks down the street doesn't work in a still image, the sense of captivation, grabbing attention, commanding a scene needs to come from the eyes, eyes that make you wish they could see the viewer. This is an area that might help you. The eyes need to command attention, not just a blank look but a light behind the eyes that makes the viewer respond.

In many of your images your eyes are averted, in many of the rest, there is not that spark, that makes the viewer interested in seeing more. This is something you can practice in the mirror, being able to call up an emotion that shows in the eyes at will.

Jan 14 10 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Troy, Michigan, US

sortayga wrote:
Hello. I am very confused. I have been told by professional photographers, agency directors and other industry professionals that i have a great look. as far as measurements go, i am exactly what everyone else in high fashion is. i am 5'11'' 123 lbs,

but when i submit photos to top agencies i dont get a reply. i am with a smaller agency in LA, but i want to start to do international work. i have a unique look i think and paired with the right people i think i can be a good model? i know how to pose, i know what angles work with my body....but i dont understand the absence of replys from agencies... and maybe some of you can enlighten me.

styles and looks change like the wind..contact more agencies, and submit other photos

Jan 14 10 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

sortayga wrote:

you got a perfect body for fashion. But your face is a bit more unique than the typical fashion model. Personally, I think you're great! But on a more broad view, you have the type of look that agencies either love or not and that's probably the problem you're having. I think you just have to keep insisting and keep sending your info to as many agencies as you can. There are many stories out there from models who were told they just didn't fit the standards and later become huge.

on a side note, I think you could use better portraits.

Jan 14 10 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Many of the images you have in your portfolio are not the most flattering; they are images that I would not include in a portfolio, of the 20 images I see only about 4 that I would consider model portfolio material.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100112/23/4b4d71bd25909_m.jpg
In this one your skin color looks anything but natural

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080505/16/481f69a1b21c3_m.jpg
This one is terribly under exposed

If you are seriously perusing a career in modeling, I would suggest finding an agency that can provide you with the look for success and the images that go along with it. You may wish to find a photographer that can generate quality images, which would go along way in helping your career.

You are an attractive model, you have all the properties of a high fashion model, I wish you great success!

Jan 14 10 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

MOPP

Phoenix, Arizona, US

sortayga wrote:
i understand that. im trying to find out WHY theyre not replying.

Because they are not interested.  Its that simple, really.  Just like applying for any regular job.  Do you think the HR department calls everyone they DIDN'T select to tell them they aren't getting the job?

Jan 14 10 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

DearestGrudge Studio wrote:

you got a perfect body for fashion. But your face is a bit more unique than the typical fashion model. Personally, I think you're great! But on a more broad view, you have the type of look that agencies either love or not and that's probably the problem you're having. I think you just have to keep insisting and keep sending your info to as many agencies as you can. There are many stories out there from models who were told they just didn't fit the standards and later become huge.

on a side note, I think you could use better portraits.

+ 1 on all of this. I'm not sure about LA, but cyurrent trends here are more towards quirky, or girly, or boyish, or odd. You're justa  very beautiful woman with womanly features and a fabulous figure.. so.. either work with more editorial style photographers and creatives (there's a couple of natural shots in your portfolio that look very current)

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080903/03/48be36c55aabb_m.jpg

and the one next to it - so, work on more along these lines, maybe ever some quite boho - although it's not completely current styling wise, it'll show a more relaxed you... OR work to your strengths and go very high end commercial. If you were born in the 70s, you'd have killed it with your look, IMHO.

Jan 15 10 02:20 am Link

Model

Vampireleniore

Modesto, California, US

You're beautiful, tall, and have a nice form, but I think your portfolio will take some more work. Find some great photographers who are on top of their stuff and pay them if you have to, get a hair stylist in there and an mua. Have some high fashion, head shots, bikini/swimsuit, casual/editorial, and totally bizarre fashion stuff.

You can do it! Be persistent!

Jan 15 10 02:25 am Link

Model

sortayga

thanks yall.

Jan 15 10 11:19 am Link