Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > A year has now passed... keep on keeping on or...

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

So I joined MM a year ago today and have since shot some 60 or 70 models from here. I was hoping that some of the more seasoned shooters here might take it upon themselves to help me out.

I made a switch to studio work a year ago (when I joined MM) and really other than assisting here and there and a couple of "had to" (long story) shoots, people were completely new to me. I've spent a lot of time this year honing light and composition and I can see fairly major improvements. Happily, I still see them almost shoot to shoot so do feel that I'm progressing. I'm starting to settle into a style of fair gentle yet obvious post processing but I don't know if I'm missing the point. I obviously really like it and I'm submitting more heavyweight adaptations to the likes of S and 125 magazine but I'd really like to hear some opinions, especially from the fashion and editorially type guys as a) what you think of what I'm doing and b) where you think I should focus improvements.

I do try to improve every shoot and every session in photoshop and I am improving - but, being so close to my own work, it's sometimes nice to hear it frank and honest from someone on the outside looking in.

Thanks for anyone who gives the time

Karl

more of my work is at www.karlbaxter.co.uk, including a submission piece preview (albeit quite compressed) http://www.karlbaxter.co.uk/fashion-project-america/

Jan 15 10 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Looking at your portfolio here, it all looks like S and 125 editorials. It has their vibe. I don't know if that is a good thing. It's like you're trying to be what they already are, without bringing something new to the table. Imitation is great, but innovation is required to make your mark. So, here you are with all these technically strong images in someone else's style, so what is your style and what is your voice? I think you need to take stock of your technical skills and find a project that actually challenges them, to create an image from your own mind that you haven't seen somewhere else.

Jan 15 10 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

it's an interesting point, and also a bit of a chicken and egg type argument - i'm pleased, in one sense that you see a connection - me too - probably more leaned towards the likes of S than 125, i don't think that my style has necessarily moved too far from where i started before i'd seen either. doubtless there's influence. I have tried to make a point of studying no-one, but maybe in doing that i've studied something instead?

FWIW i've not consciously emulated anyone's style, or images per se, so while i completely understand the comment about the images / style, i'm genuinely humbled that you've appreciated them on a technical level and willo think on how to differentiate, without getting away from what pushes my buttons.

Thank you for your input - most useful and much appreciated.

Jan 15 10 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Given that I've never even heard of S or 125, I'm probably not someone you wanted to reply. But I remember seeing an earlier version of your port and it's definitely a lot better now. Somehow your B&Ws don't quite work for me, but some of the colour shots are incredibly strong. My favourite:

https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091215/05/4b278f4e948f7_m.jpg

I hope you continue to explore and improve and enjoy this.

Jan 16 10 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

Sendu wrote:
Given that I've never even heard of S or 125, I'm probably not someone you wanted to reply. But I remember seeing an earlier version of your port and it's definitely a lot better now. Somehow your B&Ws don't quite work for me, but some of the colour shots are incredibly strong. My favourite:

https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091215/05/4b278f4e948f7_m.jpg

I hope you continue to explore and improve and enjoy this.

not at all! all feedback and constructive criticism is most welcomed so thank you very much for your input. As it happens, I've not been feeling the black and whites so much of late (although I like the couple of new ones where I've explored a different conversion method)

Jan 18 10 12:53 am Link