Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > First ever photoshoot! critique please??

Model

Jessica Fan

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I love learning! I just had my first photoshoot a week ago and the photos are up! Critique please?

Jan 16 10 10:51 pm Link

Model

Nicole Michelle

Albany, New York, US

You can see the tags on the clothes...not good. Photoshop can get rid of that easily the photographer should have done that. Also the lighting wasn't that good, but that isn't your fault. You did a GREAT job for your first shoot!

Jan 16 10 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

as far as you, not bad for your first shoot.  One thing I would suggest is to practice your expressions so that you can vary your port instead of the same expression repetitively on every shot.  As you go, you will meet better photographers which will help you along your way as well.  goodluck

Jan 16 10 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

To make a stronger port you should pick only the best photo of each look (so, in this case, reducing your port down to at most 3 photos).

I think photo #2 is most flattering to you with the best expression; shame the photographer screwed it up with a little motion blur.

The 'fashion model' style shots in the second row are also screwed up by the photographer with ruinous lighting and composition. Unfortunately your posing didn't really work in them either, so I'd say there were a dead loss. "aching back" poses can work really well, but your facial expression, angle of gaze and head make you look gormless instead of striking and strong.

That said, I don't think there's any doubt that paired with a competent photographer and more practice you could end up with really great stuff. Good luck!

Jan 17 10 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Shane Noir

Los Angeles, California, US

I love photos #2 and #4 in the top row.. You are a beautiful girl and you sound like you have enthusiasm and willingness to improve, so I'd say you are on the right track.

More facial expression variety would be good, and different styles of photographers as well.

Jan 17 10 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael Laing

Dartford, England, United Kingdom

I think for a first shoot, you have a good look.  I am not thrilled by most of the photos and don't think they are particularly strong or bring the best out in you, the lighting is flat and the photoshoping isn't great. 

I agree with the above I think that you should put only the strongest 3 shots up and you need to to learn to use you face/body more but that comes with experience and is helped by being directed a good photographer.

A good start, try and get some more shoots and to build your port.  You will also find different photographers work in different ways and don't be affraid to ask questions at shoots, if you are doing tf.

Jan 17 10 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jessica Fan wrote:
I love learning! I just had my first photoshoot a week ago and the photos are up! Critique please?

Need to get more work to provide more variety.  Avoid using too many shots from a single session.  From what I can see, you definitely got some winners though.

Definitely keep this one!
https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100116/17/4b5267bd843bb_m.jpg

Jan 18 10 10:10 am Link

Photographer

DocG1

Serenada, Texas, US

This is not a critique of the photographer, that's for a different entry.

You have a great look and figure, all good, in my opinion, quite marketable. Very pretty smile and beautiful eyes.

Suggestions only:

1. Work on varying your expressions, perhaps more than you might feel comfortable with. Great models are also excellent actors/actresses. Practice in front of a mirror, put some real emotion in it, and push it to extremes, for those times when you'll be asked for an extreme expression. With experience and practice, you'll be able to turn it on and off like a light switch. Obviously, also work on the subtle. Learn how to turn on tears. Learn how to belly laugh, beautifully and gracefully. Learn how to smile with your eyes, do the pout, the sultry, smoldering look, etc, etc. Even the dork look is sometimes required (we'll pay you $$$ to look like a goofy schoolgirl for the next shoot). Be ready and practiced for that call, or for any call.

2. Motion, motion, motion. Your poses are mostly static (which may have been the requirement or the photographer's direction). Be fit, be flexible and stretch yourself. An old joke, beauty hurts. There are many, many unattractive poses, but with the right situation, they may work for you. So don't limit yourself. Be ready for them. Study the magazine photos (Vogue and Glamor, among others). Emulate the poses in your mirror and learn it, make it yours.

3. For your port, choose the best work, and be ruthless. Better to have too few, and have viewers wanting more, than to have too much of the same, and viewers walking away. 

You have to be beautiful to succeed in this business, you have that. But there are a lot of beautiful women who fail at it. You also have to be tough, smart and very well practiced. Oh yeah, and be a wonderful human being, too.

Best of luck to you.

Doc

Jan 18 10 02:01 pm Link