Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Dodge & Burn Experts Help Me Pretty Please :o(

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

*sigh*

Jan 17 10 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

saiello

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Well what are you trying to accomplish? 

Personally when I look at the image I don't see things that you're "lacking" I see things about the model that need to be corrected. 

There's lack of skin detail on select parts of the face.  His face is very un-symmetrical.  The eyes have red veins that could be corrected, and possibly brightened a tad.

Just my personal opinion since you're asking take a step back and look at the larger picture, then work towards the smaller details.

*shrug*
Steven

Jan 17 10 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Aiello wrote:
Well what are you trying to accomplish? 

Personally when I look at the image I don't see things that you're "lacking" I see things about the model that need to be corrected. 

There's lack of skin detail on select parts of the face.  His face is very un-symmetrical.  The eyes have red veins that could be corrected, and possibly brightened a tad.

Just my personal opinion since you're asking take a step back and look at the larger picture, then work towards the smaller details.

*shrug*
Steven

I think she's more asking about the D&B on the skin.

The skin looks good I think the shadows on the lower right side of his face need some more D&B work I see unevenness.

Jan 17 10 03:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have not yet began to work on those elements. I'm trying to accomplish an edit like this: http://www.redlanternstudio.com/gallery/1.html
This is all about skin.

Jan 17 10 03:11 pm Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

i think it's overdone for a male model...look too smooth & pretty now. i would leave the hair line alone.

Jan 17 10 03:12 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

:-( you've removed his dimple and cheekbone shadows....awww!! awwww!!

Skin looks good, always zoom out every 10 mins or so to make sure your tones are even

Jan 17 10 03:18 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

y2cute wrote:
look too smooth & pretty now. i would leave the hair line alone.

yup - we be on the same wavelength

Jan 17 10 03:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

[deleted by me]

Jan 17 10 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

When I first looked in this thread I didn't see the original and I thought -

You need to emphasize the plane break between the front of his face and the side.

Then I came back and saw that the change of plane angle was present in the original and you suppressed it.

This is what I meant in this other thread where I also saw that very plane break get de-emphasized. It helps to study and know the planes of the head.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st11972567

Jan 17 10 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bloody Nose

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

idk if you think like this while editing, but I think of my dodge and burn in two different ways, the first being evening out skin tone and smoothing the skin the second being maintaining and enhancing the contouring of the face. I see in that image that you took out a lot of the shadowing caused by his facial structure which makes the final image look less 3 dimensional.

Jan 17 10 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

MB-2

New York, New York, US

A MUSE wrote:
idk if you think like this while editing, but I think of my dodge and burn in two different ways, the first being evening out skin tone and smoothing the skin the second being maintaining and enhancing the contouring of the face. I see in that image that you took out a lot of the shadowing caused by his facial structure which makes the final image look less 3 dimensional.

+1

To that end, I actually use several curves layers for every image I work on- 2 darkening curves for texture and larger tonal differences, respectively, 2 lightening curves for the same, and then one pair of curves for carving.

Jan 17 10 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Huntington Beach, California, US

Um...
It sure would have been nice if the OP asked me for permission to use my image in this thread.
https://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6250/wtf2rv3.gif

Jan 17 10 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

true

Jan 17 10 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Beynard

Bayside, New York, US

Chanel Rene wrote:
Um...
It sure would have been nice if the OP asked me for permission to use my image in this thread.
https://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6250/wtf2rv3.gif

Looks like it came from the serious retouch thread, wouldn't this type of before and after be implied, and/or fair use given the initial retouch was allowed?

Jan 17 10 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Owen Wyte

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The skin is well and truly smooth enough (for a male). In fact in a few places it lacks texture.

If it was a female beauty pic I would smooth the small imperfections on the cheeks a little more before then recreating a more uniform skin texture.

I find the most disturbing thing about this image is the hairline. By removing the hair shadows you've made it look like he's wearing a hairpiece.

Jan 17 10 07:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Robert Beynard wrote:
Looks like it came from the serious retouch thread, wouldn't this type of before and after be implied, and/or fair use given the initial retouch was allowed?

thank you robert.

Jan 18 10 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Huntington Beach, California, US

Robert Beynard wrote:

Gavin Retouch wrote:
thank you robert.

I don't know about the other posters in the Serious Retouch Thread, but I have a rule that the retoucher ask for permission to use my images in their port.
It's one thing to post it in your port. It's entirely another thing to make a new thread... which leads to critiquing the image itself and the model.

A little common courtesy isn't that much to ask for.

Jan 18 10 12:55 am Link