Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > PRO Retouchers-Critique my recent retouch

Photographer

skphoto

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

deleted.

Feb 08 10 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

skphoto

Feb 08 10 12:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

I'm the last guy thats going to tell anyone not to use blur, in fact people that say they don't use blur are full of it IMO. But this would be one of the cases that people point to when the say bluring is bad. I think you over did it.

On a positive note, at least you didn't make it look like a blotchy mess...

Feb 08 10 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

skphoto

btdsgn wrote:
I'm the last guy thats going to tell anyone not to use blur, in fact people that say they don't use blur are full of it IMO. But this would be one of the cases that people point to when the say bluring is bad. I think you over did it.

thanks for your answer. i swear i did'nt use blur...you can see all the pores?!

Feb 09 10 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It's a style, if you like that style then you did well.

I think the screen captures remove the detail. I see lots of detail but your change in density make it look very brushed as the light doesn't follow the contours.

So it is well done for that style, nothing technically wrong, rather a lot of good technique to getting there.

Personally , I like more crunchy detail, albeit realistic at times. Yet I'm in Europe, where we try for something more realistic.

Feb 09 10 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

btdsgn wrote:

I think there are other ways to have the final image end up looking like they used blur... but they got it without using blur.  For example... I don't use blur... but my images look like I did... or so I am told by some...  Just my opinion.

Feb 09 10 05:28 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:

I think there are other ways to have the final image end up looking like they used blur... but they got it without using blur.  For example... I don;t use blur... but my images look like I did... or so I am told by some...  Just my opinion.

inverted high pass was involved...I'll upload the PSD ...

Feb 09 10 05:32 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

Neil Snape wrote:
It's a style, if you like that style then you did well.

I think the screen captures remove the detail. I see lots of detail but your change in density make it look very brushed as the light doesn't follow the contours.

So it is well done for that style, nothing technically wrong, rather a lot of good technique to getting there.

Personally , I like more crunchy detail, albeit realistic at times. Yet I'm in Europe, where we try for something more realistic.

I'm europe too big_smile

Feb 09 10 05:32 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

Feb 09 10 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

selmakoparan wrote:

I'm europe too big_smile

Then your style is not>
The agencies are looking for clean work but in your book it has to be detailed. Now I know much is obliterated in retouch for L'Oreal etc, but that is not what counts. IF it works for you , your style that is , then there is hope . All of my too clean pictures fell flat on their face so to speak in all the big agencies.
Of course the agencies don't necessarily give you work even if they do like your work and the style, there are other things too nothing to do with photography>

Feb 09 10 06:01 am Link

Retoucher

Bloom_reflection

Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria

can you post the whole image it's hard to look on parts.IMO the eye color, skin color and texture looks a little bit unreal. Not bad just unreal for me

Feb 09 10 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Derek Cooper

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Looks plastic to me. Sorry!

Feb 09 10 07:00 am Link

Digital Artist

R A V E N D E U X

New York, New York, US

I was going to say

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL but then I saw you didn't use blur

I see in the far right image there are some pores but you'll need to try again.

Feb 09 10 09:15 am Link

Photographer

wbphotography

Bad Wurzach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

for me it is too "clean" - i'm also not a fan of the high pass technique - i only use the d&b technique. but i'm not a pro - so it's just my opinion smile

cheers,
wolfgang

Feb 09 10 11:46 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

ok HP method does use blur, so technically you did use blur! lol anyhow

I think your frequency separation is off hence why it looks like um...a doll? It's just "off" to my eyes. A full face would be more beneficial than sections

I'd download the psd but I'm a lazy cow and busy downloading Dean Winchester - he's more important! *drool*

Feb 09 10 11:52 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

hmm ok i admint it looks very clean i was going for a very ''perfect'' effect since the model has a pinup style look which this look is more appropiate...thanks for all your honest comments!

Feb 09 10 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

skphoto

RD Outpost wrote:
I was going to say

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL but then I saw you didn't use blur

I see in the far right image there are some pores but you'll need to try again.

''LOOL'' ?! please a bit of respect i'm trying to get constructive critique to get better and your images are over-sharpen by the way.

Feb 09 10 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

skphoto

Neil Snape wrote:

Then your style is not>
The agencies are looking for clean work but in your book it has to be detailed. Now I know much is obliterated in retouch for L'Oreal etc, but that is not what counts. IF it works for you , your style that is , then there is hope . All of my too clean pictures fell flat on their face so to speak in all the big agencies.
Of course the agencies don't necessarily give you work even if they do like your work and the style, there are other things too nothing to do with photography>

thank you! i'm a fan of yours! smile can you maybe show examples i dont get this difference with the ''styles'' between the continents?!

Feb 09 10 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

skphoto

Ni Anluain wrote:
ok HP method does use blur, so technically you did use blur! lol anyhow

I think your frequency separation is off hence why it looks like um...a doll? It's just "off" to my eyes. A full face would be more beneficial than sections

I'd download the psd but I'm a lazy cow and busy downloading Dean Winchester - he's more important! *drool*

thanks for the answer...what do you mean with the frequency separition being off?

Feb 09 10 01:15 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

selmakoparan wrote:

thanks for the answer...what do you mean with the frequency separition being off?

Its going back to the 'doll' look. (which people like and people dont like, I'm the latter) The blur used may be of, hence the HP later when set to the linear light looks "off". I don't have any other way to describe it as its just what I see. I cant be of much help as its a perception thing.

Feb 10 10 06:44 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

Ni Anluain wrote:

Its going back to the 'doll' look. (which people like and people dont like, I'm the latter) The blur used may be of, hence the HP later when set to the linear light looks "off". I don't have any other way to describe it as its just what I see. I cant be of much help as its a perception thing.

ok TY

Feb 10 10 07:44 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

After viewing the full image, I think it works with the style you were trying to achieve. Whether you use blur or not, the end result is you have a blurred image. On a side rant if your going to make an image that looks blurred why waste your time doing it a slower way. Just use BLUR.

What I question is you say you were going for a “Perfect” look. Although the skin has a illustrative feel, I don’t think you went far enough with the image. Look beyond the skin. What about the hairline, the lashes, the brows? Why aren’t they perfect? If you want perfect make everything perfect.

$.02

Feb 10 10 08:47 am Link

Photographer

skphoto

btdsgn wrote:
After viewing the full image, I think it works with the style you were trying to achieve. Whether you use blur or not, the end result is you have a blurred image. On a side rant if your going to make an image that looks blurred why waste your time doing it a slower way. Just use BLUR.

What I question is you say you were going for a “Perfect” look. Although the skin has a illustrative feel, I don’t think you went far enough with the image. Look beyond the skin. What about the hairline, the lashes, the brows? Why aren’t they perfect? If you want perfect make everything perfect.

$.02

you are totally right about the brows lashes and hairline i need to take care of all the details

Feb 10 10 08:52 am Link