This thread was locked on 2010-03-05 15:30:52
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Am I being too harsh or is this work acceptable?

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Edit: post moved..thank you for responding

To make a very frustrating story short...i paid a retoucher on MM to redeem a few photos for me from a recent shoot.  Two of the photos were a wardrobe stylist grave error in stying for my body type (think Plus Size Model in too tight spandex) and my silly fault for changing in the car without a mirror...lmao  Amway, contact this guy, paid him via paypal and 4 days later still NOTHING not a peep from him since he got paid.  I emailed him and told him that I understaod the photos were not the best and asked if he was having trouble.  I also told him I would like to aprove the backgrouds if possible and this is why I was asking.  His response was it takes 5-7 days to return a photo.  Yeah..that seems awefully long but he wasnt costly and his work was great on his MM profile.  So I was like..ok 5-7 days..ugg but ok as long as they are great!  No word back from him about the appoval.  Then on day 7...no word..lol I emailed him again and he told me he was having computer issues...i told him ok and asked him again was there trouble and he said no and will have the images today for  you. No images..day 8 and 9 the same thing then on day 10 I got them and oh...what a hot mess!  He told me he should have said 7 biz days because he was only really a day behind...lol  see photos below..

https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/shay3624/BEM_1413rebk1.jpg
First..who believes this scene could REALLY happen? Raise  your hand?? Why would you combine such colors or environment. Go from a crazy funky look to a um..what is that?? If its going to be a museum...it should be a hip fancy museum and the photo should be on the inside. ....thoughts?

ok then I got this one:

https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/shay3624/BEM_1498rebk.jpg

yeah i was  HOT MESS that day! Look at my hair...lol but better yet..look at my hair in THAT shot.  WTF...why does it look like i was cut and pasted on this da$% photo..? I like the concept..the theme is nice considering where the original photo was taken...so i was happy with that...but does this look like a job that could have taken more then a few mins to accomplish from someone that considers himself a professional? I really want to know.....maybe im wrong..

I should mention that I retouch for free on MM so im familiar with the effort and time this all can take..i DONT work with backgrounds however because frankly, Im just not that good at changing them...apparently, this guy is not either..lol

Last but not least..my fav photo out of the bunch...I will let you figure out whats wrong with this one...wait..let me tell you...lol  The DOF..the guy in the background was blurred out when the photographer took it in purposely....so i would be the main focus... anyone that knows photography knows this..this re-toucher is a photographer BTW...Why is my guy blurred and NOT my background?? PLEASE tell me....?? right now..i would be happy if he just took the guy out completely...lol  it just doesnt make sense to me...

https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/shay3624/Shayrebk.jpg

ok, so im listening to you guys..am i just being harsh because i was not satisfied after waiting 10 days for my photos?  He never let me see them before releasing them..wont return the email i sent him once i got them back asking for him to fix the errors.  im stupid i know...maybe i should not have paid him before hand...ugg..im frustrated and i need/want your advice.  Take a look at his past work and tell me why my stuff is the only one that looks like a cut and paste job gone wrong...

Is anyone out there willing to help me fix this?? just asking..i have no more money however..i gave him my last dime..sad  but really im just looking for advice.  I was pretty upset when i finally got my photos along with a message that said "even my wedding customers arent this impatient"...Impatient??!! He did not communicate with me! I did not even have any say so in my photos..uggg....help!!!!!!

Mar 05 10 09:06 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

remove his MM number so the thread wont be locked and we can take it from there.

also be prepared for what may be coming.

Mar 05 10 09:15 am Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

I personally dont feel outing someone on here is helping anyone at all..  You should take it up with him if your having issues.

Mar 05 10 09:17 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Koray wrote:
remove his MM number so the thread wont be locked and we can take it from there.

also prepare for whats coming.

thank you done!

i know..the quality of the photos are not good....im prepared for the harshness of comments just praying that they will be nice and just be real with me...was i asking for a lot or am i right to be unsatisfied about the results..no need to tell me if i look fat or not in photos...lmao.....i already know that was a fashion mistake from hell!!!...lmao

Mar 05 10 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Start over..I don't think anything will be satisfactory.

Mar 05 10 09:19 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Lunarimaging wrote:
I personally dont feel outing someone on here is helping anyone at all..  You should take it up with him if your having issues.

I tried..he wont return my messages.  I removed the number..sorry that was my error but i wanted you to see how lovely his work was on everything else.  He is really good..or at least is photos on mm was.  Did you read my post..?  i TRIED communication...thats why im asking yall.  thank you though...

Mar 05 10 09:20 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

did you want to put this in critique?

Mar 05 10 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Chris Teel

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know the rules on 'critiquing' in this particular forum so I will say "Wow!" and leave it at that.

Mar 05 10 09:22 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

How much did you pay?  It's work on his port similar to that?

Also regarding turn around times most retouchers are working on more than just your photos which is why they may have longer turn around times.

Also without the befores I can't really say if you are being harsh or not. If he had to remove you from a busy background that's pretty tough to do.

Mar 05 10 09:23 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
did you want to put this in critique?

humm should it be?? ok i will try to figure out how to move it...thank  you..sorry everyone!! Not a regular poster in this area.

Mar 05 10 09:23 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

call it a day and move on Shay..

also maybe..

in the future consider shooting with real locations/backgrounds/sets rather than cut and paste versions..

these are fine for artistic work and some ads/covers..but limited..

I personally wouldnt use a fake background in my port photos..

just my ...

Mar 05 10 09:25 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

also maybe..

in the future consider shooting with real locations/backgrounds/sets rather than cut and paste versions..

just my ...

thank you nikki..i was on location...smile  i told the guy to just fix things and then he did not have to use fake locations on everything....its not what i got. No one really responded to my question about me being harsh...moving to a new forum thanks nikki

Mar 05 10 09:28 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Shay Shaunte wrote:
i know..the quality of the photos are not good....im prepared for the harshness of comments just praying that they will be nice and just be real with me...was i asking for a lot or am i right to be unsatisfied about the results..no need to tell me if i look fat or not in photos...lmao.....i already know that was a fashion mistake from hell!!!...lmao

you seem to be a reasonable person I'll give you that.

its also too early and I cant really find the right words to explain what I think.

your best bet is to post the photos here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=76
and hope for the best.

Mar 05 10 09:32 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I will be honest with you after seeing his port I think the work he gave you matches his port so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Mar 05 10 09:36 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

also maybe..

just my ...

one more thing..the couples shot was a book cover..btw..the others would NEVER go in my port..those were for the wardrobe stylist..i promised her that type of photo for her website...

Mar 05 10 09:37 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shay Shaunte wrote:
thank you nikki..i was on location...smile  i told the guy to just fix things and then he did not have to use fake locations on everything....its not what i got. No one really responded to my question about me being harsh...moving to a new forum thanks nikki

your welcome sweetie..heres some really great ones I did for myspace comments..

you can see my artistic skills are unequaled..lol..

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_e6df8d26e43a46448edcebb23aa8fa45.jpg

https://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_fbf3ac9b313c4608b47e2c94b6cd2520.jpg

https://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/78/l_232c2c74496b4e98bfdaed9211daddee.jpg

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/90/l_55a966ce9d1a4215bbb4e109bda3b769.jpg

Mar 05 10 09:40 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

cracked me up smile

Mar 05 10 09:45 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koray wrote:

cracked me up smile

go ahead and laugh..

your cars next..

I know where you live!!..lol

Mar 05 10 09:48 am Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Falls Church, Virginia, US

my dear, you dont need a retoucher, you need an art photographer like myself.. 

so next time you want a collage pay an artist, not a retoucher...

Mar 05 10 09:50 am Link

Model

Curvy Model ShayShaunte

Houston, Texas, US

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

go ahead and laugh..

your cars next..

I know where you live!!..lol

yah thanks for that! it also made me smile...that was needed today:P

Mar 05 10 09:50 am Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Nikki Magnusson wrote:
your welcome sweetie..heres some really great ones I did for myspace comments..

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_e6df8d26e43a46448edcebb23aa8fa45.jpg

https://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_fbf3ac9b313c4608b47e2c94b6cd2520.jpg

https://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/78/l_232c2c74496b4e98bfdaed9211daddee.jpg

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/90/l_55a966ce9d1a4215bbb4e109bda3b769.jpg

these are quite good smile ah if only porportions, color temp matching, exposure matching, and soft edge hair masks were as easy as it looks here

Mar 05 10 09:53 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Angela Michelle Perez wrote:
I will be honest with you after seeing his port I think the work he gave you matches his port so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

this.

x

Mar 05 10 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Uhmm . . . wow and junk sad

Mar 05 10 09:58 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PE Art Photography wrote:

these are quite good smile ah if only porportions, color temp matching, exposure matching, and soft edge hair masks were as easy as it looks here

lol..these are myspace quality crap..

takes me about 3 minutes from start to completion...

total junk...but funny..sorta..

Mar 05 10 09:58 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I agree.
This whole thing is a big mess of lack of communication.

Retouchers need direction. You dont hire them and say "do your magic" especially when it comes to making radical choices cause everyone has different tastes.

He clearly is a scam taking your money for something he cannot deliver for whatever reason but this is all your fault for choosing him.

Mar 05 10 10:06 am Link

Model

Fare thee well MM

Novolazarovskaya - permanent station of Russia, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

In the future when you are trying a retoucher other than the Photographer who shot the images, don't send him/her a batch of images and pay for all of it. Have a little patience and send one at a time. That's how you check if 1) they deliver when they say they do, 2) they can take direction, 3) they make reasonable corrections (like if you ask them to retouch something they missed, do they ignore you or tellyou tough luck it will cost extra, or do the take responsibility and add extra touch?)

You also get to see how their signature treatment looks on YOUR photos. You might approach a really good retoucher who does pore by pore retouching (and charges accordingly) and realize that at the level of the team you are shooting with right now, that skill level is NOT necessary.
If you have bad skin, if your photographer can't shoot beauty correctly (pics r out of focus, not lit  for beauty, too dark/grainy) If make up artist can't blend and pick right colors, then NO amount of retouching will make your images look like the images on the retoucher's website.

And if you are going to pay someone, it's better to pay a photographer that can light and focus properly than a retoucher who will have to work long and hard to fix what's wrong and you may still be left unsatisfied.

And to answer your question yes, that is not grade A retouching. But it may be exactly in the style of the retoucher. And if that is the case, you are as much to blame for it as he/she is.
Live and learn.

Mar 05 10 10:36 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Koray wrote:

I agree.
This whole thing is a big mess of lack of communication.

Retouchers need direction. You dont hire them and say "do your magic" especially when it comes to making radical choices cause everyone has different tastes.

He clearly is a scam taking your money for something he cannot deliver for whatever reason but this is all your fault for choosing him.

At $10 an image I'm not entirely sure how much more she could have expected really and the work it's in the same style of the retouchers port.

Mar 05 10 10:39 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

At $10 an image I'm not entirely sure how much more she could have expected really and the work it's in the same style of the retouchers port.

this $10 issue is a subject all by itself.
I will starve to death or do dishwashing for even less but will not even turn my workstation on for that amount of money.

if I assumingly did, I would finish what I started.
I also dont take money before I deliver or I'm sure I can.

I understand times are tough and people do things they normally wont and others try to take advantage of it...all fail in the end big_smile

Mar 05 10 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

WOW!! You ARE a great model because you managed to duplicate the pose and expression exactly the same for each photo!!!

j/k

Mar 05 10 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Shay Shaunte wrote:
https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/shay3624/BEM_1498rebk.jpg
Last but not least..my fav photo out of the bunch...I will let you figure out whats wrong with this one...wait..let me tell you...lol  The DOF..the guy in the background was blurred out when the photographer took it in purposely....so i would be the main focus... anyone that knows photography knows this..this re-toucher is a photographer BTW...Why is my guy blurred and NOT my background?? PLEASE tell me....?? right now..i would be happy if he just took the guy out completely...lol  it just doesnt make sense to me...
https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/shay3624/Shayrebk.jpg

Wow, I'm not a retoucher/PS'er. Even then, I could do better. The top photo has serious scale and perspective errors. Classical mistake from someone good on the computer but lacks the visual knowledge.

Mar 05 10 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

If it was $10 an image as stated above.  You got exactly what you paid for.  Low fees =  low expectations.  I don't know of any decent photoshopper who would even open a file for that little.

Mar 05 10 11:22 am Link

Model

The Main Man

Sacramento, California, US

Shay Shaunte wrote:

one more thing..the couples shot was a book cover..btw..the others would NEVER go in my port..those were for the wardrobe stylist..i promised her that type of photo for her website...

ORLY? For what author?

Mar 05 10 11:36 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

PE Art Photography wrote:
my dear, you dont need a retoucher, you need an art photographer like myself.. 

so next time you want a collage pay an artist, not a retoucher...

what ya say PE is true to a point. Some retouches just do exactly that. They just retouch pictures. Other retouchers can do everything and do it very well. Some just want to focus on retouching which is fantastic. Wish I could....but I'd probably go metal without zee dragons... :-P

Composting and manipulating images is well.... a whole other story to get zee blending right. Not only do you have skin/hair/clothes to retouch as per normal, you have background lighting to consider, extractions, perspective, tone, color corrections, image licensing for print runs, stock restrictions, money, equipment depreciation and then your time and imagination along with zee clients brief.....a tenner for all that and half dodge pics to begin with? You'd be better asking for TF's with dodge pics and then when the real ones come in PAY and most importantly do some research to who ya want to work with. *hugs*

Wow that turned into a rant didnt it? :-P

Mar 05 10 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Coolarrow

San Antonio, Texas, US

Move on. Get over it. Its done. It was bad.  What on earth is anyone here going to do for you.
Next.

Mar 05 10 11:45 am Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Ni Anluain wrote:

what ya say PE is true to a point. Some retouches just do exactly that. They just retouch pictures. Other retouchers can do everything and do it very well. Some just want to focus on retouching which is fantastic. Wish I could....but I'd probably go metal without zee dragons... :-P

Composting and manipulating images is well.... a whole other story to get zee blending right. Not only do you have skin/hair/clothes to retouch as per normal, you have background lighting to consider, extractions, perspective, tone, color corrections, image licensing for print runs, stock restrictions, money, equipment depreciation and then your time and imagination along with zee clients brief.....a tenner for all that and half dodge pics to begin with? You'd be better asking for TF's with dodge pics and then when the real ones come in PAY and most importantly do some research to who ya want to work with. *hugs*

Wow that turned into a rant didnt it? :-P

thats certinly the way I look at it Ni!

Mar 05 10 11:52 am Link

Retoucher

ice7

can't be harsh if you actually paid for that

unless it's 5$, then you got what you paid for... smile

Mar 05 10 12:47 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

omg, dear, i am so sorry. this sucks... but i do have to agree with some above posters: next time, try shooting with a great photog in a great location vs. putting that extra money into a photoshopper. smile

i hope it goes better next time! oh, and for wiw, i love your avatar. smile

Mar 05 10 12:53 pm Link