Forums > General Industry > Why are they so attracted to a camera? Why do you model?

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

I carry a D70 around clubs and parties. It's an instant magnet for all kinds of people who make easy assumptions. They start asking who I work for (boring), so I tell them it's vice magazine (cools down a few, warms up a few). In fact, I am posting their asses on some lame party website.

I also got into many New York clubs by lying about my credentials.

So why do you think THEY are so attracted to the camera? A related and more serious question - why do YOU model?

cheers
dB.

Apr 24 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by dB.: 

I know this is off subject but, how does lying about your credentials make you feel?

Apr 24 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

Makes me feel like I should actually be working for vice. They rarely believe it anyway. I think most take it with a sense of humor and if they press even a little, I will tell the truth.

On the other hand, most NY clubs are BS anyway. The private lists, the private parties and the exclusiveness are a non-substantiated concept. I am only playing their game. No?

Apr 24 05 10:27 am Link

Model

kiana's place

Citrus Heights, California, US

I model because it is expression..I model because I don't see myself really doing anything else but modeling..I model because I love creating new ideas and constantly bettering and improving myself. Finding people that will work with my size and making me beautiful..I model because I love it!!

Apr 24 05 10:31 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm an exhibitionist.

Apr 24 05 10:47 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Partly - Im an exhibitionist... actualy, a lot of me is

But seriously, I love art

Apr 24 05 10:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

It feeds the narcissitic ego of the individual. That would be my guess...

Apr 26 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I had to take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) to go to a shoot the previous weekend. So, I am carrying my photo backback, tripods, portable backdrop etc... for some people, I was clearly a photographer without showing my cameras.

Anyway, while I am waiting at Penn Station, I noticed quite a few pretty and shapely girls constantly staying in my vicinity and prancing up and down... and I KNOW I am not as cute as I was a few pounds ago...

It was interesting to observe, I am convinced that some of the girls actually waited for me to talk to them... they wanted to be "discovered" or sumting...

Swarming like bees around the beehive. Damn girls... all they want is my long... lense... sad

I feel used... LOL

Apr 26 05 01:02 pm Link

Model

Lethal Lisa

Detroit, Michigan, US

I've always been fascinated with modeling, especially runway.  I always watched E! and anything I could find on modeling and fashion. It might be that I had a mom and a stepmom growing up.  Neither of them really took the time to show me anything in the dept of makeup, clothes, doing my hair, shaving my legs, blahblah.  I basically relied on mags, and watching tv.  I think I held of so long to start modeling cause I guess I thought people would judge me and think that I was stuck up or full of myself. Well you know what? I got judged anyway.  Just for being a young beautiful women.  Even in an office environment, I don't even feel comfortable.  Since I've started modeling, I have met so many people that I can relate to.  I love every aspect of art and expressing ones self.  Even if it's not really my thing or forte, I can appreciate someone else's passion for it.  Plus, they way I finally decided to start modeling, why not do something I have a deep interest in and make some damn good money at it, eventually.  I haven't made squat as of yet. But at least I feel I am fulfilling my purpose within myself.  And surprisingly, when I started this whole thing, my family and friends were not very resceptive to it.  I mean the only one who really was optimistic about it, was my dad. Go figure! My mom was like, well you've got nice curves and all but, don't you have to be really skinny to be a model?...OMG, MOM! Talk about disheartening.  Not to mention my mother-in-laws reaction.  And who might I add, that her niece, just happens to be miss Dita Von Teese herself! I woulda thought she'd been more open to the idea of me modeling, even if it's not nudity or fetish.  I called up Aunt Bonnie, who is Dita's mom and got her advice and asked what she thought about when Dita started modeling and then did Playboy.  Let me update you though, I had never met or talked with Dita or her mom.  I just decided to give it a go and hope she didn't tell me to get lost. Anyways, she said that she was right there with her when she did her Playboy shoot, and did her nails and everything.  And now Dita's laughing her way all the way to the bank!  Basically, I decided that I was going to do this whether anyone liked it or not. Take me or leave me!  So my greatest hope...is that one day, my face will be all over the place and I can educate people on things that really do need attention.  IE, the goverment, Social Security Benefits, Unemployment, War, you know the downfall of mankind.  I am 25 years old, I've never really left MI, except for Cedar Point and Syracuse, NY.  I just couldn't fathom the idea of myself working in a cube @ GM for the rest of my life.  Little did I know, I'm not really that kind of girl.  I'm too bright, intelligent and beautiful of a women to waste my time working and dying to survive.  Let alone feel I have no purpose.  God I can babble and babble forever! sorry!

xoxoxo
LadyLamia

If anyone has any thoughts or comments feel free to let me know! smile

Apr 26 05 01:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by dB.: 

I know this is off subject but, how does lying about your credentials make you feel?

Screw credentials...  how about lying on their stats!  How the heck????

Apr 26 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Well...I had a lot of people tell me I should do this from the age of 16, and I finally decided to get started at age 27! LOL. I like to be fashionable and creative, and want to be a part of creating various looks and attitudes. So far, I am really enjoying myself and constantly striving to improve and expand, and become a "living work of art"!

Apr 26 05 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
...Anyway, while I am waiting at Penn Station, I noticed quite a few pretty and shapely girls constantly staying in my vicinity and prancing up and down... and I KNOW I am not as cute as I was a few pounds ago...

It was interesting to observe, I am convinced that some of the girls actually waited for me to talk to them... they wanted to be "discovered" or sumting...

I feel used... LOL

Damn tarts...  They are everywhere...

Apr 26 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 

...Anyway, while I am waiting at Penn Station, I noticed quite a few pretty and shapely girls constantly staying in my vicinity and prancing up and down... and I KNOW I am not as cute as I was a few pounds ago...

I feel used... LOL

Hahahaaa... yeah... tough job... but someone's gotta do it...

Apr 26 05 01:44 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Wow..don't get me started. I love the excitementof being photographed and the way it makes me feel. It brings me to another place and away from the outside world. Modeling to me is an art and expression of myself and would love to make it a career or even a hobby on the side. Modeling is an Art and perfection to an artists eye.

Apr 26 05 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

hmmm...

Apr 26 05 02:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by ActresM10~Maria: 
Modeling is an Art and perfection to an artists eye. 

Well photographers...  That's a "deep thought."

Apr 26 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 

I feel used... LOL

I like tarts ...

Apr 26 05 02:32 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

It's a natural extension of my dance career, both in terms of art and relativity. I've always loved clothes, makeup, having my picture taken; modeling is like playing dress-up as an adult. (Well, depending of what kind of shoot it is anyway.) I enjoy the business end of it too: meeting and talking to new people, contacting agencies, finding work, updating my website, etc.

Apr 26 05 02:57 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

I see it as a form of art and almost a spin off of drama/acting/theatre which I love. I can dress myself up in different looks, and have different moods and expressions captured. It's particularly why I like doing retro, artistic stuff because it is different, and fun. I like to think of picture ideas in my head and hopefully work with photographers to create them.

Apr 26 05 08:33 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

dB. wrote:
I carry a D70 around clubs and parties. It's an instant magnet for all kinds of people who make easy assumptions. They start asking who I work for (boring), so I tell them it's vice magazine (cools down a few, warms up a few). In fact, I am posting their asses on some lame party website.

So why do you think THEY are so attracted to the camera? A related and more serious question - why do YOU model?

cheers
dB.

The D70 is not the ideal camera for clubs and parties. The low light performance on the D70 is not that good compared to a Sony A7iv or Canon R6. Also the megapixel count is very low. People say that megapixels don't count that much but the megapixel count is very low on the D70.

The biggest drawback of the D70 as a club and party camera is that is doesn't do video. Just photos is not going to cut it. You need to make Tik Tok videos and you can't do that with a D70.

Dec 24 22 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

veypurr wrote:
The D70 is not the ideal camera for clubs and parties. .

the D70 was hot stuff in 2005!

Dec 24 22 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

I think most models do it because they enjoy it, because it pays, and because it's a way to  meet people rather than because they're particularly turned on by photographic equipment.

Dec 25 22 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

veypurr wrote:

The D70 is not the ideal camera for clubs and parties. The low light performance on the D70 is not that good compared to a Sony A7iv or Canon R6. Also the megapixel count is very low. People say that megapixels don't count that much but the megapixel count is very low on the D70.

The biggest drawback of the D70 as a club and party camera is that is doesn't do video. Just photos is not going to cut it. You need to make Tik Tok videos and you can't do that with a D70.

Why are you digging up these threads from nearly 2 decades ago?  The OP has not logged in since May 2010 and those 2 cameras you suggest were not even made or released for purchase until 2022.  As far as I can tell, you dig bringing back zombie threads.  I'm not being mean, just curious as to how you find these and why?

Dec 25 22 03:31 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Why are you digging up these threads from nearly 2 decades ago?

Don't knock Veypurr's replies to fossilized threads.  The very faint pulse is the only thing that's keeping the fourms from flatlining.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/flatline_8205.jpg

Dec 25 22 09:30 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

1 - daddy issues
2 - a paycheck generated by a lifestyle that enables me to hold off getting a "real job" anytime soon
3 - neurodivergency. Apparently being weird makes one creative.

Dec 25 22 10:37 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

veypurr wrote:

Next, dig up a thread from 1948 and tell why you think a Crown Graphic is not right for parties.

Dec 25 22 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

veypurr wrote:

MN Photography wrote:
Next, dig up a thread from 1948 and tell why you think a Crown Graphic is not right for parties.

And then try to explain that to WeeGee...

Dec 26 22 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

MN Photography wrote:

Don't get me started, you kids don't know how good you've got it. When I began, it was taking
daguerreotypes of feet for four bits each and I thought I would be a hundredaire in practically
no time. Then, along comes a hotshot noob with a Rolleicord and I have to start over from
square one.

Dec 26 22 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:

Don't get me started, you kids don't know how good you've got it. When I began, it was taking
daguerreotypes of feet for four bits each and I thought I would be a hundredaire in practically
no time. Then, along comes a hotshot noob with a Rolleicord and I have to start over from
square one.

Right, don't get me started.

The Four Yorkshiremen:

https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k

Dec 26 22 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Right, don't get me started.

The Four Yorkshiremen:

https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k